Jump to content

Booing & clapping


Recommended Posts

Just now, asteener1867 said:

You know Saturday Neil...all arguments apart...I just sat f.ookin' numb mate after the Lincoln goal....

Second half, the team got up for it...The crowd got up for it...and it was like all passion and drive for about 15 minutes...Then it went T *ts again..Its like an old movie....

The team simply HAS to get the crowd going.....The crowd has had 20 years of false bloody dawns.....The manager and the players simply don't understand it...The fans haven't the patience to give the players time..Cos the patience isn't there anymore...Hence the bloody booing...Like I said...I agree with you its self defeating...but its totally understandable

 

 

Yeah agreed

The slow starts are criminal now (as are the late goals that we concede)
 


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

 

 

Yeah agreed

The slow starts are criminal now (as are the late goals that we concede)
 

I don't watch the last few minutes mate..The Lad laughs at me...I stare at the KOp floor and listen to the noises..Me ears are that well attuned to doing that...I can tell if its a Wednesday throw in, goal kick or clearance...I can tell if the opposition get a corner...Me ears have simply adapted....THen theres that sodding faint  like cheer from the away end...and I just think "F.ook"

I can sorta follow Wednesday wiv just me ears!!!!...I'm wonderin' if I could get a f.ookin' discount on me season ticket....

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tend to agree that booing during the game doesn't help, though I'm with @asteener1867that there have been exceptions, such as Sheridan & Sterland, who have said as much, saying they wanted to prove us wrong (at Hirstys bar both said that). It's like any criticism you get whilst doing your job, for most people they will shrink if they think it's personal, but some will rise to the challenge. That's human nature. Personally I won't boo even at full time, never have. 

As for saying it's never once helped us, that's a massive overstatement as we actually don't know. I remember a game that Reda played in when we were 3-1 down and the team got some proper abuse as did some players but we came back to draw 3-3. Whether the booing helped, again who really knows, I doubt it, but if it got the "I'll show them" attitude out of the players maybe it did. 

For me, the point is booing rarely achieves anything positive, but people will still do it as it's in their nature to react that way and it's a thing associated with football particularly. On the other side of the argument, I don't think a team who underperformed so badly as we did against Hull will have had such amazing support for the full 90 mins,  despite their performance, yet it made no difference. 

 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/52821-is-it-time-to-stop-booing

This article supports the argument that booing rarely works. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fans started booing when the GK and full backs pass to each other in the area. This is not booing the players, it's booing the tactics, which nearly cost a goal. The players and manager know this, and it should continue. It's the only way of letting them know that , amazingly, in this instance, fans know better than this manager. It's a stupid tactic which puts us under unnecessary pressure, it deserves booing .

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

 It's a stupid tactic which puts us under unnecessary pressure, it deserves booing .

 


And how's that gone for you over the last 20 years?

FYI - after booing the players on Saturday they conceded a late goal and threw away two points

  • Like 1

 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Fans started booing when the GK and full backs pass to each other in the area. This is not booing the players, it's booing the tactics, which nearly cost a goal. The players and manager know this, and it should continue. It's the only way of letting them know that , amazingly, in this instance, fans know better than this manager. It's a stupid tactic which puts us under unnecessary pressure, it deserves booing .

I do not really care if the booing is deserved or not.

I just want to get the promotion this season and I do want everybody to do their utmost to get us there.

Unfortunately it looks like the players need our help and support and we should give them our unconditional  support if we want to get out of that  league

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

I tend to agree that booing during the game doesn't help, though I'm with @asteener1867that there have been exceptions, such as Sheridan & Sterland, who have said as much, saying they wanted to prove us wrong (at Hirstys bar both said that). It's like any criticism you get whilst doing your job, for most people they will shrink if they think it's personal, but some will rise to the challenge. That's human nature. Personally I won't boo even at full time, never have. 

As for saying it's never once helped us, that's a massive overstatement as we actually don't know. I remember a game that Reda played in when we were 3-1 down and the team got some proper abuse as did some players but we came back to draw 3-3. Whether the booing helped, again who really knows, I doubt it, but if it got the "I'll show them" attitude out of the players maybe it did. 

For me, the point is booing rarely achieves anything positive, but people will still do it as it's in their nature to react that way and it's a thing associated with football particularly. On the other side of the argument, I don't think a team who underperformed so badly as we did against Hull will have had such amazing support for the full 90 mins,  despite their performance, yet it made no difference. 

 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/52821-is-it-time-to-stop-booing

This article supports the argument that booing rarely works. 

 

That's not a proper sport though, doesn't count. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, @owlstalk said:


Boooing the team has only started THIS SEASON??


EH??

Thats not what I said. My post refers to the TACTIC. The players and management are well aware that it's the specific tactic that fans are unhappy with. I'm not going to explain again so goodnight to all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, 31Dec1966 said:

Thats not what I said. My post refers to the TACTIC. The players and management are well aware that it's the specific tactic that fans are unhappy with. 

 

How weird your post is

The point still remains that booing the team makes them worse

The concept of booing is what's being discussed here - not a specific tactic

 

lol

 

 

  • Like 2

 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll never boo, the reason being I know for a fact if some random came up to me at work booing and whining then my service to them would instantly get worse not better. If someone is in your ear calling you all the names under the sun and booing (kinda like insulate Britain protestors having a tantrum) is that going to put you in the mindset to do better? If most people are honest that will be a no. It's similar to kids having a tantrum when mummy doesn't buy them a new toy.... it's not going to get you your own way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Booing doesn't help the players and in a performance business, confidence is so key that I really, really try hard not to boo...but it's hard sometimes if players aren't putting a shift in.

 

I'd hate to be booed at work if I had a bad day  so I avoid doing it, but can't say I haven't done so to the team as a collective in the past,  albeit rarely. I've only ever booed an individual once- it was Bothroyd!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

 

I'd hate to be booed at work if I had a bad day 


I would imagine 99.99999% of those booing our own players would cry like little babies if someone stood next to them at work and booed them as they worked

 

lol

 

  • Like 1

 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't boo individual players and never boo premeditated but on Saturday I did boo a couple of times when my frustration got the better of me. I have only ever booed a handful of times in all my years of watching Wednesday.
I don't feel bad about this either.

Does booing make them worse? I don't know but i'ts difficult not to when you have took time, trouble and money and watch not just another poor display but the see the club being run into the ground.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I wouldn't boo individual players and never boo premeditated but on Saturday I did boo a couple of times when my frustration got the better of me. I have only ever booed a handful of times in all my years of watching Wednesday.
I don't feel bad about this either.

Does booing make them worse? I don't know but i'ts difficult not to when you have took time, trouble and money and watch not just another poor display but the see the club being run into the ground.

I am not trying to blame you or anybody else who decides to boo the team.

It's just that we should be aware that this will lead to a crap atmosphere, that it will get the players down and increase the amount of silly mistakes on the field. 

I cannot blame anybody who needs to air his frustration - I am just really getting desperate to get some good team spirit on the field and into the dressing room as I believe that is our only chance to stop this downward spiral.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...