Booing & clapping

9 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

I am not trying to blame you or anybody else who decides to boo the team.

It's just that we should be aware that this will lead to a crap atmosphere, that it will get the players down and increase the amount of silly mistakes on the field. 

I cannot blame anybody who needs to air his frustration - I am just really getting desperate to get some good team spirit on the field and into the dressing room as I believe that is our only chance to stop this downward spiral.

To say how terrible Wednesday have been last 2-3 years I think the players and the club have got off lightly.

Think booing probably doesn't help in the short term but does let the club know that fans have had enough,
You really can expect fans like me who are on not much more then minimum wage to sing happy songs when seeing multi millionaire players playing crap. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Anyone can boo if they want to

Every player that's ever been asked about it says that being booed by their own fans affects their performance negatively and doesn't help

So you gotta ask the question

If you know booing negatively affects Sheffield Wednesday players during a game doesn't that make you a BLADE if you boo our players during a game?

NO it doesnt,

5 minutes ago, parajack said:

NO its to express their disappointment and sometimes anger at poor performances and baffling tactics from very well paid players and manager  

Rhubarb its a rush of adrenaline getting into fight or flight mode.   The constraints of the modern human society only allows them to expressive their frustration by means of abusive grunts.

It wouldn't matter if the players were well paid or not. the fans feel insulted so feel justified in returning in kind.

Desmond Morris innit?  

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

The alternative and my preference (won't happen tho because people would rather put their own ego ahead of the teams needs) would be for the crowd to urge the team on from kick off and if a mistake is made or a goal conceded for that support to get louder (in a positive way)

Basically when up against it to support MORE instead of just revert to booing that has been absolutely proven over the last 25 years NOT to work and to make things worse

To me it's simple:

1) Players always tell you that if they get booed during games then it affects them negatively

2) Booing our own players during games makes them play WORSE

3) Most importantly it's been proven that booing our own players hasn't ever worked - for years and years and years - it just hasn't worked, doesn't work and won't ever work

So given the above three points - why would anyone choose to booo our own players whilst they're playing?

Called free will,we are all born with it,thats your opinion and i respect it,but it doesnt mean your right,Being a pro footballer means your going to work in the public eye,be expected to both produce and entertain.Be able to rtake the pressure that brings....Have your every move scrutinised sometimes by tens of thousands of people.

Football as everyone agrees was nothing without spectators,its bear pit,even the design of our grounds are like the original arenas where people competed in front of a baying crowd,...

Thats the origins of our sport,its not Rugby the sport of 'Gentlemen' it comes from the working class,and historically was played and watched by the working class.... we expect well paid cossetted footballers to step up to the mark and deal with it.(not boo hoo)

Police do,service people do,firefighters & NHS do and get slated and called names,attacked,spat on

thats abuse  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Rhubarb its a rush of adrenaline getting into fight or flight mode.   The constraints of the modern human society only allows them to expressive their frustration by means of abusive grunts.

It wouldn't matter if the players were well paid or not. the fans feel insulted so feel justified in returning in kind.

Desmond Morris innit?  

Well if you mean Behavioural Pyschology maybe,more Skinners rats i would say  stimulus(boring,uninteresting football) responce(Booing) 

13 minutes ago, parajack said:

Called free will,we are all born with it,thats your opinion and i respect it,but it doesnt mean your right,Being a pro footballer means your going to work in the public eye,be expected to both produce and entertain.Be able to rtake the pressure that brings....Have your every move scrutinised sometimes by tens of thousands of people.

Football as everyone agrees was nothing without spectators,its bear pit,even the design of our grounds are like the original arenas where people competed in front of a baying crowd,...

Thats the origins of our sport,its not Rugby the sport of 'Gentlemen' it comes from the working class,and historically was played and watched by the working class.... we expect well paid cossetted footballers to step up to the mark and deal with it.(not boo hoo)

Police do,service people do,firefighters & NHS do and get slated and called names,attacked,spat on

thats abuse  

Do we really have free will?  

Guest hirstysfags
5 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Nothing but a traitor if you boo.    

Boo to you to 

Boo who

Boo!!!!

Boos to boos

boos to boobs... now we're talking

Sexist rubbish

Been watching Sherlock and wondered where is seen "lestrade" before!

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

How weird your post is

The point still remains that booing the team makes them worse

The concept of booing is what's being discussed here - not a specific tactic

lol

Mate he is giving his view on why people Boo,its just as relevant as yours,or mine...threads veer right and left with peoples views,ime surprised(as an example) with a thread that says 'booing & clapping' virtually no one has mentioned 'clapping' I think thats what has surprised me....

It's an emotional game.

It's what got us all hooked when we went to that first game - pure unadulterated  unscripted drama.

It's what makes us sing, shout, swear and even  hug a complete stranger.

I love it all.

A cathartic release for the common man at the end of the working week.

And when emotions are high, people will boo as well. Some people can't help it when the performance is embarrassing. It's an involuntary, emotional reaction and that makes it valid.

It's all part of the show and is completely natural. Start taking the emotion out of the crowd and the game dies a bit more inside.

• Like 1