Dunkley

You'd think if we were planning to play 3 at the back all season we'd have signed more central defenders. It suggests to be this was an afterthought and the plan was indeed to go ahead with 4 at the back with the overloaded midfield (hence signing multiple players who can play out wide).

3 at the back seems like an afterthought and with injuries we just don't have the personnel for it. 

It feels bizarre to shoehorn players into specific positions instead of playing a formation we have the personnel for and going with a flat back four.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, swfcGibbo said:

You'd think if we were planning to play 3 at the back all season we'd have signed more central defenders. It suggests to be this was an afterthought and the plan was indeed to go ahead with 4 at the back with the overloaded midfield (hence signing multiple players who can play out wide).

3 at the back seems like an afterthought and with injuries we just don't have the personnel for it. 

It feels bizarre to shoehorn players into specific positions instead of playing a formation we have the personnel for and going with a flat back four.

We planned for 4231, but Gregory was struggling alone in the centre. So Pato was pushed up to join him in a 2. 352 is to keep the midfield 3 and let Gregory have a partner.

• Haha 1

Dunkley is absolutely terrible in possession, but absolutely nothing excuses Marvin Johnson been selected at centre half,  if Dunkley plays then we change our system to suit end of ! You play a system that best suits the players available surely 

Very unfair on MJ aswell, been fed to lions by DM there, already struggling for form and then thrown into an alien position 

utter madness 

Any loss of respect for DM wouldn’t be my biggest concern from that statement from Dunkley either,  I’d be more concerned he openly states ‘abuse’ from our OWN fans is clearly an issue for him 

23 hours ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Not denying that but Dunkley is one of the worst CBS I’ve seen play for post Prem days, including Maddix and Westwood!!

He can't pass water but in the previous game he was probably the best of the defenders. Cue the manager dropping him so we can have a left midfielder play CB to pass to a left back on the left wing and a full-back next to him at centre-half. 

Dunkley is a no nonsense defender who looks poor when trying to pass around and struggled at Championship level but has got promoted from this league as a leader of the team not long ago.

23 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I can understand Johnson over Dunkley.

We’ve all been criticising Dunkley’s poor use of the ball. The left-footed comfortable-on-the-ball Johnson was a reasonable shout. 

Pick a CB to defend and just pick 2 of them if we don't have the options. Don't pick a wide midfielder at CB just so we can pass it around at the back a bit better. 

That 'reasonable shout' led to Lincoln City dominating possession and having more shots on target than us at Hillsborough. Way to go Darren, looking forward to the next masterplan. 

23 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Im going to stop now as I totally agree that we shouldn’t be playing out with Dunkley on the left. 

But IF you accept we are a play-it-out team, I’d still repeat my unanswered question…who plays on the left of Iorfa when Hutch and Gibson are out?

Why did Lincoln boss possession on our own turf if we are a 'play-it-out' team? It didn't work did it? It was never really going to work. 

I'm all for playing players in their preferred positions.

Not that Johnson had a particularly bad game, but when we are short of defenders, a strange decision to leave Dunkley on the bench. 

I don't mind playing it out from the back in the right circumstances, but a defenders primary job is to defend.

Maybe, if we had more defensive confidence in the team, wouldn't have had to play a back 5 to compensate (can try and pretend 352, but mostly 532)

• Like 1