Jump to content

Dunkley


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Not looking great for Moore. Adenarin interview yesterday and Dunkley coming out with this.

 

I know neither are hardly slagging the gaffer off, but seems a very frustrated camp. 

Get rid of Moore before it's to late to challenge for a play-off spot.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

 

You're allowed to not rate a player, but don't just make stuff up.


That doesn’t sound right. We’d still be in the EU if we weren’t allowed to just make stuff up. 
 

 

 

 

smiley face emoji (I don’t know how to add emojis)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, 83owl said:

Think it’s hilarious when every now and then someone posts with the idea of Iorfa in midfield.


haha agreed.

 

Any post that starts “We could try..” or “What about…” is usually followed by a weird experimental side with Bannan sub, Sow in goal and Iorfa CM.

 

Mind you, Moore must get his ideas from somewhere. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

What a world we live in now when in the English 3rd division it’s considered better to have a “footballer” as a centre back rather than a big and strong and oh yeah, centre back in that position.  You know, to mark opposition players at set pieces and outmuscle them off the ball. Heck why not try Bannan in goal as he’d help us play out from the back off a goal kick. FFS

At last a bit of reality   Central defenders in this league arnt made to play the ball out from the back. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, CourteenerOwl said:

He may win them, but not convincingly imo.

 

They never go very far out of danger. Stats can be misleading.

I agree, but so can people's biases and faulty memories. I must admit, I've never seen Dunkley play and thought "he's not very good at heading it", and indeed the fact he's the tenth best player in the league at winning aerial battles corroborates with that.

 

Maybe you're right, maybe this dominant force in the air has poor technique/an exceptionally soft head that means the headers he wins don't travel that far... but it's not something I've ever noticed before and I'm not sure many others on here have either.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I agree, but so can people's biases and faulty memories. I must admit, I've never seen Dunkley play and thought "he's not very good at heading it", and indeed the fact he's the tenth best player in the league at winning aerial battles corroborates with that.

 

Maybe you're right, maybe this dominant force in the air has poor technique/an exceptionally soft head that means the headers he wins don't travel that far... but it's not something I've ever noticed before and I'm not sure many others on here have either.

He can get distance on it if needed, the issue is we can't win the second ball. Doesn't matter where you head it if it comes straight back at you.

It was at it's worst v Ipswich. Him and Iorfa just gave up on heading it forward in the second half and were just heading it straight into the stands as everything was getting picked up by the Ipswich midfield.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, sexpistol said:

If Dunkley was fully fit and DM has chosen to play a left winger in CD that is truly staggering and whoever interviews him this week, needs to ask him direct as to why he made that decision.

Exactly, don't really give a damn about whether Johnson gives ",balance" playing it out from the back, manager should be more concerned with playing defenders who can defend, playing one recognised center back by choice is rediculous and asking for trouble especially when defending set peices.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I agree, but so can people's biases and faulty memories. I must admit, I've never seen Dunkley play and thought "he's not very good at heading it", and indeed the fact he's the tenth best player in the league at winning aerial battles corroborates with that.

 

Maybe you're right, maybe this dominant force in the air has poor technique/an exceptionally soft head that means the headers he wins don't travel that far... but it's not something I've ever noticed before and I'm not sure many others on here have either.

 there are 24 teams in league that means at least 48 center backs and a few target man center forwards playing every week so being 10th surely means your one of the top in the league and by swapping him out for a winger severely weakens you when defending set peices?

Edited by wellbeaten-the-owl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

I agree, but so can people's biases and faulty memories. I must admit, I've never seen Dunkley play and thought "he's not very good at heading it", and indeed the fact he's the tenth best player in the league at winning aerial battles corroborates with that.

 

Maybe you're right, maybe this dominant force in the air has poor technique/an exceptionally soft head that means the headers he wins don't travel that far... but it's not something I've ever noticed before and I'm not sure many others on here have either.

10th best in League 1. Let's get the champers out shall we lol

Dunkley is mediocre at everything. I don't need stats to tell me anything different.

 

The only thing he is good at is self promotion on social media. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

What a world we live in now when in the English 3rd division it’s considered better to have a “footballer” as a centre back rather than a big and strong and oh yeah, centre back in that position.  You know, to mark opposition players at set pieces and outmuscle them off the ball. Heck why not try Bannan in goal as he’d help us play out from the back off a goal kick. FFS

 

This ^^^   To start a game with ONE centre back is insane logic and management.  He should of had Dunkey and Iorfa at the back, with Hunt and Palmer either side and see how it performs in the first half.   Or if you want to be really "sexy" with your team selections in league 1, have Brown or Johnson at left back instead of Palmer.   The formation should be a solid 442, or 433, with players being coached to keep that shape.  When i watch the Owls, our formation or shape always seems a disjointed mess. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I can understand Johnson over Dunkley.

 

We’ve all been criticising Dunkley’s poor use of the ball. The left-footed comfortable-on-the-ball Johnson was a reasonable shout. 

...in a game where the opponents didn't offer an aerial threat up front I can understand the thinking too.

 

But, and it's a bigger but, we started the season with 14 new players and we knew it would take time to gel. My gripe is that we are no closer to having a settled organised side because DM is constantly changing not just the personnel but also the formations and the whole style of play. 'It takes time' - well it will if it's different every week. Each week is like starting the season again with a new team.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CourteenerOwl said:

10th best in League 1. Let's get the champers out shall we lol

Dunkley is mediocre at everything. I don't need stats to tell me anything different.

 

The only thing he is good at is self promotion on social media. 

I thought this so had a quick look at the stats and most of the players above him are strikers. 3rd or 4th in defenders. I don't rate Dunkley but that is his strong point. Mobility on the other hand...

 

However had a quick look at Gregory. Wins 2.1 duals per match, as high as 96th in the league, so why we are playing it long to him most of the time I don't know. Also looking at average ratings. I know it can be subjective, but our highest rated player is Bannan in 50th!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, davetherivelinowl said:

...in a game where the opponents didn't offer an aerial threat up front I can understand the thinking too.

 

But, and it's a bigger but, we started the season with 14 new players and we knew it would take time to gel. My gripe is that we are no closer to having a settled organised side because DM is constantly changing not just the personnel but also the formations and the whole style of play. 'It takes time' - well it will if it's different every week. Each week is like starting the season again with a new team.


Couldn’t agree more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...