Dunkley

Just now, matthefish2002 said:

Not saying they are wrong but both are stock phrases that are overused when a manager is struggling

So are you admitting he his struggling?..what’s yours solution..just keep on struggling to a mid table finish?

Just now, Holmowl said:

OK, but square this circle.

We’ve a manager who insists on playing out from the back.

Dunkley is awful at this, even on the right, let alone on the left.

Who would you play on the left of Iorfa?

I'd realise that I don't have the players at the back to do that and change my tactics. 

You make it sounds like Johnson is bloody Busquets in possession. 

• Like 4

Guest Derby owl
20 minutes ago, CourteenerOwl said:

If Dunkley was any good we wouldn’t be playing players out of position instead of him.

With this manager in charge who knows where the players will play?

I half exspect to see bannan in goal next week.!

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

I'd realise that I don't have the players at the back to do that and change my tactics. 

You make it sounds like Johnson is bloody Busquets in possession. 

Im going to stop now as I totally agree that we shouldn’t be playing out with Dunkley on the left. 

But IF you accept we are a play-it-out team, I’d still repeat my unanswered question…who plays on the left of Iorfa when Hutch and Gibson are out?

What a world we live in now when in the English 3rd division it’s considered better to have a “footballer” as a centre back rather than a big and strong and oh yeah, centre back in that position.  You know, to mark opposition players at set pieces and outmuscle them off the ball. Heck why not try Bannan in goal as he’d help us play out from the back off a goal kick. FFS

• Like 2

I’ve backed Moore

Desperate for him to succeed 

But that comment from a senior pro spells the end for Moore

Dunkley knows what the fans are like as he interacts with them often on social media and he is an articulate guy

He knows without doubt the damage that comment would inflict on Moore

For me Moore has to go he just has to

• Like 7

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

Yes of course he is struggling. 
My soloution would be for Chansiri to sell up or put a proper infrastructure at the club otherwise whoever is manager will struggle.

Not buying that..a decent manager would be able to get a tune out of these players...dc is to blame for lots of things..but the current shambles is all at Moore’s door...he hasn’t a clue

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Given who was available yesterday, I'd have gone with a back four of Hunt, Iorfa, Dunkley and one of Palmer or Johnson. 

If the players you want aren't available, you adapt the formation and tactics to accommodate those who are.

How Moore concluded that Johnson, Iorfa and Palmer as our three centre-backs was the best option, I doubt I'll ever understand.

• Like 8

Palmer would go left, not ideal but at least he isn't scared of making a tackle. A far far better option than Johnson..

Dunkley goes right then we have more presence in both boxes from set pieces and more voices on the field.

You could make a case of balance but Palmer is the best left back at the club. 

Or don't play 3 which at times, ends up being a 5, gifting the midfield to the opposition.

Edited by DobbinTheDonkey

2 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

What a world we live in now when in the English 3rd division it’s considered better to have a “footballer” as a centre back rather than a big and strong and oh yeah, centre back in that position.  You know, to mark opposition players at set pieces and outmuscle them off the ball. Heck why not try Bannan in goal as he’d help us play out from the back off a goal kick. FFS

Pep started it all

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Im going to stop now as I totally agree that we shouldn’t be playing out with Dunkley on the left. 

But IF you accept we are a play-it-out team, I’d still repeat my unanswered question…who plays on the left of Iorfa when Hutch and Gibson are out?

With all due respect, you're essentially asking us to validate idiocy on the part of the manager.

• Like 3

Just now, Holmowl said:

I would not play somebody who has never played as a CB in his life. It's got to be Dunkley. We didn't even just play it out from the back either, we regularly knocked it long yesterday so having a 'ball player' was even more crackers.

It's like that time we played Graeme Lee up front with David Graham under Sturrock, but tbf to Sturrock he only had one striker at the time.

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

What was wrong with the back three we'd played in the previous two games? 

Iorfa---Dunkley--Palmer

Iorfa is suited to playing wide of the three, it's where his pace and athleticism makes a huge difference. Dunkley, will be the first to admit he's not a ball playing defender, but he can defend. He's good aerially, and if you want a defender to defend the box, Dunkley is as good a option we've got at the club.

In a back four, I accept Dunkley isn't ideal, if we're persistent on playing from the back, it exposes his weakness too much, although given options ahead of him, there's no reason why he couldn't function within it. But, in a back three, in the centre, he's more than capable of playing that role. And he's demonstrated that with two decent performances on the road last week. 

Also, did we play out from the back any more effectively yesterday, than we did against Wimbledon or Cambridge? No, we didn't. But, playing out from the back, isn't totally dependent on having ball playing defenders. Any professional can play 10 yard passes...Dunkley has a couple of options in front of him, there's no reason why he couldn't play in such a system...but it's about the whole shape. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

What was wrong with the back three we'd played in the previous two games? 

Iorfa---Dunkley--Palmer

Iorfa is suited to playing wide of the three, it's where his pace and athleticism makes a huge difference. Dunkley, will be the first to admit he's not a ball playing defender, but he can defend. He's good aerially, and if you want a defender to defend the box, Dunkley is as good a option we've got at the club.

In a back four, I accept Dunkley isn't ideal, if we're persistent on playing from the back, it exposes his weakness too much, although given options ahead of him, there's no reason why he couldn't function within it. But, in a back three, in the centre, he's more than capable of playing that role. And he's demonstrated that with two decent performances on the road last week. 

Also, did we play out from the back any more effectively yesterday, than we did against Wimbledon or Cambridge? No, we didn't. But, playing out from the back, isn't totally dependent on having ball playing defenders. Any professional can play 10 yard passes...Dunkley has a couple of options in front of him, there's no reason why he couldn't play in such a system...but it's about the whole shape. 

Im really not going to argue.

The solution is obvious. Stop playing out from the back because it’s difficult to imagine a less suitable pairing to do it well than Iorfa-Dunkley.