How does this lineup look to you?

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

FCZWld5X0AonQgV.jpg

If these players were all fit how would you feel about giving this starting lineup 5 games on the bounce to settle down and so we can start to work out where to go from there?

Not saying for one second it's perfect, just that it might be worth just going with it for 5 games straight and taking it from there?

I agree except for Bannan playing too deep. He should be playing behind the front 3. I've argued before that he plays too deep.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

FCZWld5X0AonQgV.jpg

If these players were all fit how would you feel about giving this starting lineup 5 games on the bounce to settle down and so we can start to work out where to go from there?

Not saying for one second it's perfect, just that it might be worth just going with it for 5 games straight and taking it from there?

It looks great on paper. Probably the team more than 50% of fans would start on Saturday. 

BUT, after 14 league games and 3 cup games we have no idea if Shodipo and Corbeanu are any good. We’ve seen Berahino, Green, Brown, Johnson, Sow (remember him?), Kamberi, Adeniran, Shodipo, Corbeanu, Paterson all tried in those wide forward positions, with only full-back Brown given an extended run. Windass will soon occupy one of them.

So, about to play our 18th game of the season, we are no nearer knowing our front three than we were on 1st August. That is hopeless management.

Edited by Holmowl

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

BUT, after 14 league games and 3 cup games we have no idea if Shodipo and Corbeanu are any good. We’ve seen Berahino, Green, Brown, Johnson, Sow (remember him?), Kamberi, Adeniran, Shodipo, Corbeanu, Paterson all tried in those wide forward positions, with only full-back Brown given an extended run. Windass will soon occupy one of them.

So we've tried every player in 2 of the 3 forward positions.

It hasn't worked.

But we've kept 1 of the 3 the same every game.

Maybe, just maybe, we try changing the 1 that's stayed the same?

7 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

So we've tried every player in 2 of the 3 forward positions.

It hasn't worked.

But we've kept 1 of the 3 the same every game.

Maybe, just maybe, we try changing the 1 that's stayed the same?

I think Gregory is very average, but he’s a complete shoe-in for me. 

He did have an absolute stinker Saturday. I thought he should have been hooked 10 mins into the second half. I’d definitely overlook this one game and start him at Cheltenham. But he can’t play like that again and keep his place. I’m certain Bera couldn’t play that role. Kamberi would need to play.

Edited by Holmowl

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I think Gregory is very average, but he’s a complete shoe-in for me. 

He did have an absolute stinker Saturday. I thought he should have been hooked 10 mins into the second half. I’d definitely overlook this one game and start him at Cheltenham. But he can’t play like that again and keep his place. I’m certain Bera couldn’t play that role. Kamberi would need to play.

Why can we play every other player in the squad out of position but him?

Drop every other player but him?

He's the one constant in a failing attack. If we've tried changing everything else and it's still not working, surely he's the problem?

It's not one game though, Lincoln, Oxford, Plymouth, not one shot in all three games. 1 or 2 in three more.

That's not a service issue, that's a striker not moving into position issue.

Here's my 'all fit' line up. Play 4-1-4-1 fast attacking football with the midfielders breaking forward to support Windass.

We don't need the wide midfielders dropping too far back as we have Luongo to support the back 4 and transition to attack. Plenty of legs in that midfield.

It's Lg1 ffs ... let's put in on our opponents instead of sitting off them & letting them dictate to us.

551536319_lineup4-1-4-1allfit.png.e4d92670da328940fe9af89003932cee.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pastor Kidneys said:

Here's my 'all fit' line up. Play 4-1-4-1 fast attacking football with the midfielders breaking forward to support Windass.

We don't need the wide midfielders dropping too far back as we have Luongo to support the back 4 and transition to attack. Plenty of legs in that midfield.

It's Lg1 ffs ... let's put in on our opponents instead of sitting off them & letting them dictate to us.

551536319_lineup4-1-4-1allfit.png.e4d92670da328940fe9af89003932cee.png

Not on this planet is Windass a lone-striker.

We’ll be in a real mess if he’s given that role (which would not surprise me in the least) because he needs a hatful of chances to score a goal. 

12 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

We’ll be in a real mess if he’s given that role (which would not surprise me in the least) because he needs a hatful of chances to score a goal. 

Interesting as you feel playing Johnson as a centre back was excusable.  But playing a forward as a lone striker is crazy?… 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

As opposed to our previous striker who was banging them in for fun when playing up front alone?

1 minute ago, Tewkesbury said:

As opposed to our previous striker who was banging them in for fun when playing up front alone?

Gregory?

As a striker he’s definitely better than Windass. I’m hoping and expecting that they’ll both be starters, though in what formation is anyone’s guess sadly.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Interesting as you feel playing Johnson as a centre back was excusable.  But playing a forward as a lone striker is crazy?… 

If you read my couple of posts on that Johnson thread that isn’t what I was saying.

7 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

If you read my couple of posts on that Johnson thread that isn’t what I was saying.

Apologies, this post had me confused 

Holmowl “I can understand Johnson over Dunkley.

We’ve all been criticising Dunkley’s poor use of the ball. The left-footed comfortable-on-the-ball Johnson was a reasonable shout.” 

• Haha 1