How does this lineup look to you?

12 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

The whole drama with Wing and Bannan playing out of position was ro get them used to playing in the DM position. Bannan's played there the last few games and done well, he's had Wing and now Adeniran with him.

As long as one stays back they're fine attacking, see Wing in the last couple of games and Adeniran yedterday, one attacks, one back when we attack.

Fair points. I think we would need a more defensive minded holder in their too against the better sides away but we should be OK with any combination of our midfield 3 in many games, certainly in the last 3 we have played. At least one of Bannan, Wing or Byers has to play though, just for some control and composure in starting moves at least. Bannan is the one in the best form and fitness of those 3.  

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Fair points. I think we would need a more defensive minded holder in their too against the better sides away but we should be OK with any combination of our midfield 3 in many games, certainly in the last 3 we have played. At least one of Bannan, Wing or Byers has to play though, just for some control and composure in starting moves at least. Bannan is the one in the best form and fitness of those 3.  

It looked at the start of the season it would ve Bannan and Byers back with Wing in front. But Bannan wouldn't stay back, so we had Hutch, Luongo etc.

Then they all get injured so Wing takes the hit and stays back. Didn't like it, was terrible at the start but he's good there now. Something must have happened the game Bannan didn't play, aa he came back and slipped straight in back there.

If we get everyone fit, I think we'll rotate Byers, Luongo, Adeniran, Wing, FDB and Bannan through both DM and AM as at the minute it's a hard job and to play at the tempo required, like Wimbledon first half, they'll need resting and substituting to keep it up, as v Wimbledon, where we took off FDB and Wing's legs were falling off, and we produced nothing.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

FCZWld5X0AonQgV.jpg

If these players were all fit how would you feel about giving this starting lineup 5 games on the bounce to settle down and so we can start to work out where to go from there?

Not saying for one second it's perfect, just that it might be worth just going with it for 5 games straight and taking it from there?

I've no problem with it but I don't  think many on here would have the patience!  Say we lose the first two games of these 5. I can't see many accepting we are sticking with the line up.

1 minute ago, Tewkesbury said:

It looked at the start of the season it would ve Bannan and Byers back with Wing in front. But Bannan wouldn't stay back, so we had Hutch, Luongo etc.

Then they all get injured so Wing takes the hit and stays back. Didn't like it, was terrible at the start but he's good there now. Something must have happened the game Bannan didn't play, aa he came back and slipped straight in back there.

If we get everyone fit, I think we'll rotate Byers, Luongo, Adeniran, Wing, FDB and Bannan through both DM and AM as at the minute it's a hard job and to play at the tempo required, like Wimbledon first half, they'll need resting and substituting to keep it up, as v Wimbledon, where we took off FDB and Wing's legs were falling off, and we produced nothing.

I agree with you in that most of the options we have should be good enough to rotate and do the job in most games. I think it would be better for the team if we played any of the midfield 3 with a lively front 3 with proper wide attackers though. Give them some pace and direct play ahead of them to pick out. Shodipo has proved he gets goals and assists at the top end of this division. Corbeanu also looks a threat in patches, give him a chance. 

2 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

I've no problem with it but I don't  think many on here would have the patience!  Say we lose the first two games of these 5. I can't see many accepting we are sticking with the line up.

I think more fans would have patience with giving an approach like this a go than the current constant changes of approach which sees players change position to ones they are not familiar with nor seemingly comfortable in game after game.

1 minute ago, Albertowl said:

No chance

I'd be shocked if they both started next week, not enough time on the grass will be the reasoning.

Our performances must be turning people towards grass as a means to cope! 

41 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I think we need someone alongside Bannan as a 4-2-3-1 as has been put forward in a different thread. Luongo would be ideal but being realistic, it isn't going to happen. Adeniran could possibly do it though it may restrict his scoring threat. 

For me Bannan still has to play though. The desire and energy of Adeniran and FDB is good but neither of them have enough composure to create attacks and start moves going. They played well at times yesterday but both need significant work on their first touch and weight of passes they play. So many times Dennis got the ball caught under his feet with slack control and FDB played passes with not enough weight or bobbled it to a team mate through lack of care.  

I just think you either have your creativity through Bannan or through expansive wingers, but you can’t play both. You’re midfield would get run over IMO. So you play Bannan with Johnson type wide player. But if we want to see the best of Shodipo and Theo you need three behind them that can all stand up and be counted. 

• Like 1

Just watching Liverpool destroy Man Utd and I believe we have the players to create our own Liverpool template

BPF

Palmer   Iorfa    Hutch.   Johnson

FDB.   Luongo    Adeniran 

Windass    Gregory.   Shodipo 

Bannan can easily be substituted in when opposites are tiring or when Owls struggling to break down teams who sit deep rather than press high

Corbeneau putting pressure on Windass and Shodipo to perform every week

Palmer as cover for Luongo with Hunt shooting in at right back

4 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I just think you either have your creativity through Bannan or through expansive wingers, but you can’t play both. You’re midfield would get run over IMO. So you play Bannan with Johnson type wide player. But if we want to see the best of Shodipo and Theo you need three behind them that can all stand up and be counted. 

Disagree. 

We shouldn't get overrun by most teams at this level with 3 in midfield, especially at home. We will get nowhere if nobody in the midfield has enough composure to control the ball regularly or weight a pass to the benefit of a team mate receiving it.

Playing with fear is what is holding us back as it is. 

5 at the back at home to the likes of Lincoln, 18th for shots on goal in the division this season, live a little try to play attacking football.  

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I agree with you in that most of the options we have should be good enough to rotate and do the job in most games. I think it would be better for the team if we played any of the midfield 3 with a lively front 3 with proper wide attackers though. Give them some pace and direct play ahead of them to pick out. Shodipo has proved he gets goals and assists at the top end of this division. Corbeanu also looks a threat in patches, give him a chance. 

Yep.

Now that the DM is sorted, the 3 attackers are free to go wild.

Our 4231 is literally Southgate's England. 2 DMs as the engine with 1 in front, and three pure attackers. It all rests on the DM position, saw it with England without Phillips.

Gregory really couldn't play striker in that setup, so Moore pushed Pato closer and closer to him, first from Midfield, then RW, to playing 2 strikers. The wingers were left out as he needed another striker in, breaking thw formation.

Gregory should have been dropped after the Oxford game and Kamberi, Berahino or Pato given the job.

But he panicked and went with the 2 that won at Wigan.

Bpf 

Hunt iorfa hutch palmer

Bannan

DB                 johnson

Dennis

Theo     pato

Could bring gregory on for johnson and move dennis to lcm. Shodipo shown nothing so far.

When windass fit would play him on left of a front 3 with pato central and theo on right

Edited by Ash77
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

FCZWld5X0AonQgV.jpg

If these players were all fit how would you feel about giving this starting lineup 5 games on the bounce to settle down and so we can start to work out where to go from there?

Not saying for one second it's perfect, just that it might be worth just going with it for 5 games straight and taking it from there?

Those outfield players but in a 4-4-2 with Bannan on the left, Shodipo on the right, Corbeanu and Gregory up front, and Wildsmith in goal. Paterson as a sub in case front two not working.