Johnson at LCB, Dunkley on the bench, WTAF?

Ok here we go:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesdays-surprise-decision-on-marvin-johnsons-position-explained-3430701?itm_source=parsely-api

Sheffield Wednesday’s surprise decision on Marvin Johnson’s position explained

Darren Moore raised a few eyebrows on Saturday afternoon when Marvin Johnson was utilised as a left-sided centre back, but the Sheffield Wednesday manager has explained his decision.

By Joe Crann

Saturday, 23rd October 2021, 7:30 pm

Marvin Johnson was used as a centre back by Sheffield Wednesday against Lincoln City.

It was widely thought that the Owls formation had changed from the 3-5-2 that started against Cambridge United earlier in the week, however when they lined up before kick off it became clear that it was the same setup but with Liam Palmer as a right-sided centre back and Johnson to Dominic Iorfa’s left.

Wednesday were 10 minutes away from victory at S6, and a clean sheet despite the changes, however were caught napping after taking a 1-0 lead.

When asked about the decision after the game, Moore told The Star, “On that left hand side he brings a natural balance for us… We lost Lewis Gibson, so having that left-hand side brings some balance and cohesion to the team. Also, we’re at home and we wanted to win the game. He’s more of an offensive player if you look at Marvin, so we had a more offensive player at the back to try and step on and help us win the game.

“I thought he was ok and delivered some good balls, but I’m disappointed we didn’t get the three points today.”

Johnson didn’t do much wrong in the game, and wasn’t at fault for the goal – another set piece – as the Owls let another lead slip at Hillsborough, making it eight points dropped from winning positions so far this season.

Defiant Darren Moore on turning the tide at S6

Ok then.....

So I'm expecting Bannan to be playing there next week then...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Incognito Owl said:

From the past few seasons that I remember:

Johnson - LCB under Moore

Bannan - RM under Moore

Van Aken - LWB under Pulis

Iorfa - CDM under Pulis

Forestieri - LWB under Monk

Reach - ST under Monk

Penney - RW under Jos

Wallace - ST under Jos

:duntmatter:

Any more?

Palmer - right back and centre half 

28 minutes ago, Paul.. said:

Ridiculous. How about pick a formation with less defensive positions to be more attacking rather than pick 'more attacking options' at centre-back.

It is infuriating all the chopping and changing each game. 

At least they've got a full week to work on whatever masterplan he decides to come up with for the next game. 

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Ridiculous. How about pick a formation with less defensive positions to be more attacking rather than pick 'more attacking options' at centre-back.

It is infuriating all the chopping and changing each game. 

At least they've got a full week to work on whatever masterplan he decides to come up with for the next game. 

“We’re at home and wanted to win the game, so I decided to play with 5 at the back”

• Like 1

Rapidly becoming known as the Tinkerman of L1, who can fathom the workings of Moore's mind? The only certainty is that it isn't working.

I have to say his more recent interviews sound like the ramblings of a desperate and deluded man with us apparently set up to win every match. If only!

On 24/10/2021 at 11:22, bigdan2003 said:

He’s over complicating it. 

I just don’t see any progression. At this point you start to see the league settle down and teams begin to show where they’re going to be, we’ve regressed I’m afraid. Maybe I’m expecting too much? I don’t think I am, I do think we have a squad of players who can be successful in this league. 

I really want him to succeed, but it’s really hard to support him whilst he’s persisting with tactics that are not working. I don’t think the players know what they’re doing, and it’s really showing now. 

I agree, we have a good squad that should be one of the best in the division.

It's the managers bizarre tactics/formations/team selections that is stifling us.

That formation, from the players he had available to play, is an absolute shambles. 

It wasn't forced upon him, he didn't have to play 5 at the back (let's not pretend we play 3 at the back).

4-4-2, or 4-3-3 are our best formations, it also allows a couple of our 57 wingers to play, and try and actually influence games in our favour, instead of coming on for 10 minutes every now and again.

Dunkley is no Franco Baresi by any stretch, but with the players we had fit and available, the back 4 had to be Hunt, Iorfa, Dunkley and Palmer - it is a complete no-brainer. Palmer and Johnson as right and left sided Centre-halves - wtaf? Stubbornness gets you the sack - that selection shows me, the players and the club that Moore doesn't have a clue - stop making the game harder than it is. 

As I have said in the past, we are playing chess, whilst the opposites are playing draughts - get to the other side of the effing board and get crowned...

You should never, ever rely on centre backs for attacking play.  The other 8 positions on the park all have a role to play in attacking.  Centre backs - stick em forward for set plays, but apart from that centre backs are there to defend and to set the rear line of the teams positioning on the park.  

I literally never want to read or hear about attacking and centre backs. How bad must your other 8 players be?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

That formation, from the players he had available to play, is an absolute shambles. 

It wasn't forced upon him, he didn't have to play 5 at the back (let's not pretend we play 3 at the back).

4-4-2, or 4-3-3 are our best formations, it also allows a couple of our 57 wingers to play, and try and actually influence games in our favour, instead of coming on for 10 minutes every now and again.

Dunkley is no Franco Baresi by any stretch, but with the players we had fit and available, the back 4 had to be Hunt, Iorfa, Dunkley and Palmer - it is a complete no-brainer. Palmer and Johnson as right and left sided Centre-halves - wtaf? Stubbornness gets you the sack - that selection shows me, the players and the club that Moore doesn't have a clue - stop making the game harder than it is. 

As I have said in the past, we are playing chess, whilst the opposites are playing draughts - get to the other side of the effing board and get crowned...

Brilliant post my friend. 
Feels like He’s using the club as a testing ground for his mad experiments. 
There are some very average players and sides at this level and it shows how poor by our league position. 
Play your best players in their correct positions and stick to a basic plan. 442 or 433. 
Consistency is key and will bread confidence. 
We do have the players I believe. 
It’s the mad scientist that is starting to annoy me. 

• Like 1

It's almost as if Moore is breaking the golden rule of coaching... i.e. "Do NOT use competition as a practice or training session"

Please tell me that playing Marvin Johnson at LCB is something that the squad have practiced and rehearsed at the training ground.