Johnson at LCB, Dunkley on the bench, WTAF?

My high levels of reservation about bringing Hutchinson back was the situation we now find ourselves in.

I played probably a thousand matches at centre back from 12 until 38, it’s the one position I can see things clearly on when I watch games.  So much of it relies on you knowing your other centre back. You know the quirks some have , the situations you know they hate, where to pass it and how quick, and how they defend against both pace and strength.  
Hutchinson is excellent but he is in and out like the Hokey Cokey with niggles and so we have new defensive partnerships all of the time: I can tell you that is horrible as a centre back. 
moore needs to stop messing about with the defence asap. 

• Like 5

I can understand why, sort of.

We can't play direct, we don't play the strikers for it. So we have to play it forward slowly.

Lincoln don't really play long ball in the air, they keep it on the floor mostly, so Dunkley's aerial presence isn't essential, and we struggle to play it out.

Johnson is usually OK on the ball, and he's pretty quick, so with Palmer and Iorfa to cover in a back 5 it's a reasonable gamble to take.

Playing 5 at the back is the issue.

He’s over complicating it. 

I just don’t see any progression. At this point you start to see the league settle down and teams begin to show where they’re going to be, we’ve regressed I’m afraid. Maybe I’m expecting too much? I don’t think I am, I do think we have a squad of players who can be successful in this league. 

I really want him to succeed, but it’s really hard to support him whilst he’s persisting with tactics that are not working. I don’t think the players know what they’re doing, and it’s really showing now. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

My high levels of reservation about bringing Hutchinson back was the situation we now find ourselves in.

I played probably a thousand matches at centre back from 12 until 38, it’s the one position I can see things clearly on when I watch games.  So much of it relies on you knowing your other centre back. You know the quirks some have , the situations you know they hate, where to pass it and how quick, and how they defend against both pace and strength.  
Hutchinson is excellent but he is in and out like the Hokey Cokey with niggles and so we have new defensive partnerships all of the time: I can tell you that is horrible as a centre back. 

I think Hutch can play every week at CB.  For me, the niggles always happen when he plays midfield and has to sprint / lunge more often.

I also thought Dunkley was getting better with game time - remembering he’s hardly played in two years.  He’s a vocal leader on the pitch and a former captain at Wigan.  Our defence needs to do the basics with a leader in their midst.  Has to be either Hutch or Dunkley.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

This exactly. Carlos did the same thing with the full backs.

In my humble opinion that is why Iorfa's game is dropping off, hisn;t getting to play with a constant partner to build up an understanding.

1 hour ago, Incognito Owl said:

From the past few seasons that I remember:

Johnson - LCB under Moore

Bannan - RM under Moore

Van Aken - LWB under Pulis

Iorfa - CDM under Pulis

Forestieri - LWB under Monk

Reach - ST under Monk

Penney - RW under Jos

Wallace - ST under Jos

:duntmatter:

Any more?

Hutchinson in no 10 for Luhukay 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

He’s over complicating it. 

I just don’t see any progression. At this point you start to see the league settle down and teams begin to show where they’re going to be, we’ve regressed I’m afraid. Maybe I’m expecting too much? I don’t think I am, I do think we have a squad of players who can be successful in this league. 

I really want him to succeed, but it’s really hard to support him whilst he’s persisting with tactics that are not working. I don’t think the players know what they’re doing, and it’s really showing now. 

I don’t think the injuries to Gibson, Luongo, Hutchinson and Windass have helped. But when we don’t have many centre halves and a shed load of midfield players/wingers. The switch to 3-5-2 is even more baffling as it essentially makes corbeanu, sow, Shodipo redundant. 

1 minute ago, Bluesteel. said:

I don’t think the injuries to Gibson, Luongo, Hutchinson and Windass have helped.  

But you have to ask - even if they were all fit would Moore play them and if so in what positions? 

Their natural ones?

Highly doubtful

And would they get an extended run in the side?

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

But you have to ask - even if they were all fit would Moore play them and if so in what positions? 

Their natural ones?

Highly doubtful

And would they get an extended run in the side?

Sadly Luongo hasn't had an extended run since he signed. Think Hutchinson and Windass will be automatically back in soon as fit enough. 

3 hours ago, nethertonowl said:

Sign a prooper left back, play a back four, stop playing out from the back all the time. Pick a settled four and stop chopping and changing.

defence fine.

In this league, Brennan would have held his own. Opposition managers are playing similiar type players week in, week out, yet Moore thinks we are playing in La Liga not league 1.

Listen to Paul Warne after yesterday's win, he talks like a coach who knows what's needed to win games in this league.Its the simple, basic football, pressing and closing the opposition down and attack attack to get goals. 

We got a result yesterday according to our manager, drawing at home against the worst team I've seen this season., enough said.

5 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

Moore gave an explanation after the game why he played Johnson there which kind of made sense. It could have worked if we’d have been on the front foot that first half. 

We couldn't get on the front foot because we had a left-wing back basically playing as a left-back to cover for the wide midfielder who was playing at CB with a full-back in one of the other 3 CB positions.

It was an absolutely baffling decision that didn't work at all. We played well for 15 minutes in the entire game against a side that have not kept a clean sheet all season. Lincoln press us first half and we couldn't get out as a resulted of the completely disjointed nature of the approach. 

5 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

Moore gave an explanation after the game why he played Johnson there which kind of made sense. It could have worked if we’d have been on the front foot that first half. 

Can you remember which interview that was?

1 minute ago, Paul.. said:

Can you remember which interview that was?

It is quoted on the website

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2021/october/darren-moore-post-lincoln-talking-points/

Also references injuries but not to Dunkley.

If you have injury problems at centre-back then play a formation with 2 CB's rather than 3 and use the attacking players to pick a side that is set up to win at home.

We had a squad of players available yesterday that were well suited to play 4-2-3-1.