• Dele-Bashiru
    • Bannan
    • Gregory
    • Berahino
    • Brown
    • Shodipo
    • Corbeanu
    • Paterson

Another very poor performance. The first half and first 10 minutes of the second we just didn't going again.

The best deadball from us was right at the end when Corbeanu whipped in a beauty.

Defensively we were a shambles at times.

BPF.    5.     Thought he could have done better with the goal and his lack of awareness when the ball went through him onto the goal line was alarming.

Palmer.   5.5  Showed his versatility but dropped a clanger at the end which could have been costly.

Iorfa.   3.  Thought he was very poor for the second game running. Lost his man for their goal and made several other big mistakes.

Johnson. 5.5  I don't know what the idea was playing him in a back 3, but didn't notice him making any mistakes.

Hunt.  6. At least he tried to get forward and offer an option.

Brown. 5. Didn't offer a great deal offensively or defensively.

Bannan.  5.5 Not sure if he was given a free role, but he did start to drop very deep. A couple of nice passes but not one of his best games. Dead balls were poor.

Dele. 8   MoM Looks a beast of a player when carrying the ball forward, just shrugs tackles off. Doesn't try anything flash with his passing just simple passes that keep us moving forward.

Adenerin  7. Really good finish for the goal, getting in the right place to supplement the woeful attack.

Gregory. 4  The ball was just bouncing off him.

Berahino. 4.5  Like Gregory the ball was just bouncing off him. Did create one chance for himself. Don't think they work as a pair.

I don't normally mark subs who are on for less than 45  minutes,  but I thought the 15 minutes cameo from Corbeanu was impressive. Took a great corner and showed skill when running at the defence.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Andrew_Owl said:

BPF 5.5

Hunt 7

Palmer 6

Iorfa 5.5

Johnson 6

Adeniran 8.5

FDB 8

Bannan 5.5 

Brown 4.5

Gregory 6

Berahino 5? or (1) for turning up.

Patterson 6

Theo 6.5

Shodipo not enough time

Berahino is as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

Here's mine for what it is worth:

BPF-5  For turning up.

Palmer-6 his usual steady self

Irofa -   5   Hitting poor form at the mloment ( maybe cos the C/D is being mucked about too much)

Johnson-6 Bit of a surprise this, but he did ok (Why drop the only 1st div defender we have, tho?)

Dennis -8  he and Bish showed a glimpse of the future with their attacking intent.

BB -      5   poor by his standard

Bish -   8   See Denis

Brown  5  poor

Berahino-3 lacked drive or purpose

Gregory - 5 Lacked service or support.

I remember just before half-time asking whether any of our players were having a decent game. I honestly couldn't think of anyone who hadn't disappointed in some way or consistently done well.

In the second-half Bannan, Fizz and Adeniran had a golden 15 minutes or so where we looked terrific but it didn't last.

Unlike some, I'm not too annoyed at the experiment of having Johnson and Palmer in the back three. I don't think it caused us problems at the back and gave us more players who can burst forward from deep and give us overloads out wide. It worked for Wilder. It didn't really work for us yesterday but I think the lack of decent crosses was due to Brown, not Johnson.

BPF 6 did Ok

Hunt 7 did OK, put some decent crosses in

Palmer 6 did OK, drops a point for that back pass

Iorfa 7 did some really good stuff but also got caught in possession 

Johnson 7 did OK, looks comfortable coming forward. Not really a centre-half but it could work in some games.

Adeniran 8 MoM Looked fantastic at times but was anonymous in first half. Extra point for the very well-taken goal

FDB 7 Looked fantastic at times but was anonymous in first half.

Bannan 7 Looked fantastic at times but was anonymous in first half.

Brown 5 Not sure what he offers. There must be someone else who can play there.

Gregory 5 Nothing worked for him today

Berahino 6 Generally disappointing but extra point for that turn and shot. If he meant that it was brilliant and could have won us the game. Became noticeably less useful as the game went on.

Paterson 6 As usual brought a new level of energy when he came on. Didn't achieve much though.

Theo 7 Only had a few minutes but really looked a threat in that time. Please give him more minutes Darren. In this formation could he play wing-back? Could he play up front? If so, would be an upgrade on Brown or Berahino.

Shodipo 5 Only had a few minutes but did nothing useful in that time. Looks like he's always about to do something good though, so worth a place ahead of Brown (if Corbeanu can't play wing-back).

• Like 1

FDB clear MOM for me. Blossoming talent; yes a bit raw but I am very optimistic that he'll develop into the midfield beast weve been lack for ages.

Adeniran had a decent second half. Positive runner. Would like him to quit feigning injury every time hes tackled but another deloping talent. 

Hunt did OK

We've been a very poor watch so far this season.  Decent squad badly utilised IMO though we lack a front player who can compete effectively in the air.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

I remember just before half-time asking whether any of our players were having a decent game. I honestly couldn't think of anyone who hadn't disappointed in some way or consistently done well.

In the second-half Bannan, Fizz and Adeniran had a golden 15 minutes or so where we looked terrific but it didn't last.

Unlike some, I'm not too annoyed at the experiment of having Johnson and Palmer in the back three. I don't think it caused us problems at the back and gave us more players who can burst forward from deep and give us overloads out wide. It worked for Wilder. It didn't really work for us yesterday but I think the lack of decent crosses was due to Brown, not Johnson.

BPF 6 did Ok

Hunt 7 did OK, put some decent crosses in

Palmer 6 did OK, drops a point for that back pass

Iorfa 7 did some really good stuff but also got caught in possession 

Johnson 7 did OK, looks comfortable coming forward. Not really a centre-half but it could work in some games.

Adeniran 8 MoM Looked fantastic at times but was anonymous in first half. Extra point for the very well-taken goal

FDB 7 Looked fantastic at times but was anonymous in first half.

Bannan 7 Looked fantastic at times but was anonymous in first half.

Brown 5 Not sure what he offers. There must be someone else who can play there.

Gregory 5 Nothing worked for him today

Berahino 6 Generally disappointing but extra point for that turn and shot. If he meant that it was brilliant and could have won us the game. Became noticeably less useful as the game went on.

Paterson 6 As usual brought a new level of energy when he came on. Didn't achieve much though.

Theo 7 Only had a few minutes but really looked a threat in that time. Please give him more minutes Darren. In this formation could he play wing-back? Could he play up front? If so, would be an upgrade on Brown or Berahino.

Shodipo 5 Only had a few minutes but did nothing useful in that time. Looks like he's always about to do something good though, so worth a place ahead of Brown (if Corbeanu can't play wing-back).

Didn't mind the experiment and it could work?

Why are we having to experiment with a 3rd of the season gone? 

It worked for Wilder? Which winger did Wilder play at CB with 1 recognised CB in a back 3?

We drew with 15th placed Lincoln at home. As you said yourself, nobody stood out as playing well in the first half and we had a 15-minute good spell in the second - that's it!

Lincoln City came to Hillsborough, dominated possession, attempted over 100 passes more than us and had more shots on target.

It was abysmal. Stop p*ssing about with square pegs in round holes and pick a team that benefits the strengths of each player in it.  

I don't think it's worth  marking the players until we have a manager who lets them play in a system set up to succeed. At the moment they don't know what they are doing, they don't know what they are supposed to be doing, they don't know what team mates are doing, they don't know what the system is and half the time it looks like they don't know what a football is.

Moore needs to realise it isn't working and it's his fault  that it isn't. 

Teddy nickelarse totally agree about Adeniran talking to my mates yesterday asked why everytime he gets tackled he goes down injured . Bannan very poor yesterday his corners either didn't beat the 1st man or beat everybody.  Not sure what any one saw positive in johnson either i don't think he made a forward pass of any intent .

As a team we don't have any aggression so passive its sickening 

1 hour ago, davetherivelinowl said:

I agree with this - I have no problem with us playing full-backs in a back three, particularly when the opposition like Lincoln has no height up front. You see other full-backs like Tierney, Azpilicueta, Kyle Walker, etc. doing this more and more in the modern game in a 3-at-the-back.

It was more the performance as a whole that made me angry yesterday. But Palmer and Johnson did fine as it went.

Here are the scores as it stands, people have until tonight to submit. 12 sets of ratings submitted so far. Dele-Bashiru is leading by a whisker from Adeniran in the man of the match stakes as it stands.

Peacock-Farrell: 5.4

Palmer: 5.8

Iorfa: 5.2

Johnson: 5.6

Hunt: 5.9

Brown: 4.1

Adeniran: 7.3

Bannan: 5.8

Dele-Bashiru: 7.3

Berahino: 4.8

Gregory: 4.6

Paterson: 5.3

Corbeanu: 6.5

Shodipo: 5.5

1 minute ago, Emerson Thome said:

I agree with this - I have no problem with us playing full-backs in a back three, particularly when the opposition like Lincoln has no height up front. You see other full-backs like Tierney, Azpilicueta, Kyle Walker, etc. doing this more and more in the modern game in a 3-at-the-back.

It was more the performance as a whole that made me angry yesterday. But Palmer and Johnson did fine as it went.

Azpilicueta just seems a natural progression to CB, a no nonsense tough defender, Walker has the pace to get him out of trouble. 

Johnson is anything but. How often do Chelsea, Man City, or anyone play a back 3 with 1 natural CB? Why are we even comparing ourselves to these teams who are the best in the land.

Yes Johnson didn't make any major mistakes but having 5 at the back at home to a lower mid-table side puts us on the back foot. Less possession, less passes and less shots on target at home to Lincoln City shows how well it worked as a whole. 

How about just play the players in their natural positions for a change and give that a run of games?   

FDB and Adeniran are the only ones that caught my eye in a good way and both are looking like potentially being our stand out players of the season. Expected more from the likes of Iorfa and Bannan at this level but we still haven't got going. Too many lackluster performances and a lack of cutting edge, errors in concentration and a lack of goals has been an familiar story of the past few seasons. FDB and Adeniran are the only positives at the moment. 

• Like 1

BPF 5

Hunt 7

Palmer 5

Iorfa 6

Johnson 6

Adeniran 6

FDB 7 - MOM

Bannan  6

Brown  5

Gregory 5

Berahino 4

Patterson 5

Theo  Not enough time

Shodipo not enough time

Moore 0 - Bemusing tactics and team selection.  Need a system, also need Hutch back at centre half asap.

20 hours ago, Andrew_Owl said:

He wants it, he battles, he drops deep, he puts 100% in

Absolutely right.  He was not very effective yesterday but that was down to lack of support and tactics rather than him.  He was constantly outnumbered  up top, with little support.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, doubleo said:

Absolutely right.  He was not very effective yesterday but that was down to lack of support and tactics rather than him.  He was constantly outnumbered  up top, with little support.

How is it never his fault when he's bad? It's always the rest of the team who aren't good enough.

Cimpared to the other strikers he doesn't battle, just backs into players and falls over, rarely drops deep and doesn't move for the ball outside a very narrow channel the width of the D. The only time he goes wide is for throwins and spends the rest of the time chatting with the CBs.

He's literally our least hard working player.

• Haha 2