More brown box architecture

Buck Rogers

I love our city and I know it's cool for many to talk it down but I was driving my boss around in the summer and she commented 'I'd forgot how pretty Sheffield was'. Now admittedly she's from Leicester but still nice to hear and a reminder that we're generally going in the right direction.

But as someone pointed out a few months ago, new buildings are becoming somewhat identikit in Sheffield with the 'brown basket' types going up with aplomb.

I know we need investment and fresh construction but I'd like to think our council had a firmer say on the architecture that's submitted for planning and demanded more variety and personality in any new buildings.

More of the brown boxes approved here:

https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2021/10/21/sheffield-hallam-universitys-220m-city-campus-gets-nod/

1 hour ago, Buck Rogers said:

I love our city and I know it's cool for many to talk it down but I was driving my boss around in the summer and she commented 'I'd forgot how pretty Sheffield was'. Now admittedly she's from Leicester but still nice to hear and a reminder that we're generally going in the right direction.

But as someone pointed out a few months ago, new buildings are becoming somewhat identikit in Sheffield with the 'brown basket' types going up with aplomb.

I know we need investment and fresh construction but I'd like to think our council had a firmer say on the architecture that's submitted for planning and demanded more variety and personality in any new buildings.

https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2021/10/21/sheffield-hallam-universitys-220m-city-campus-gets-nod/

It’s great saying that..

But ultimately the type of architecture will be dictated by cost - brick cladding is all in range because it’s cheap and functional.

Anything architecturally nicer (I.e not value engineered) costs money - Sheffield has been on the receiving end of major investments seen in Manchester, Birmingham and dare I say Leeds. This is the big question we need to be asking…

If the council refuse such planning applications, the council will be perceived to be seen as “anti business” and those derelict brownfield sites/blighted land will still remain and look crap.

I agree with your comments and trust me, was a little disappointed to see Hallam’s lack of innovation in what is a prime city site. However they are due to spend 900m.. so we’ll see more improvements in the vicinity soon!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

How the hell did a stack of shipping containers get through planning ? 

I drive past it regular  and its Horrendous 

Popular worldwide. Many container parks in many cities worldwide.

Cheers, is it mostly as retail space?

Really popular down here too as housing, quite a few council projects around Hackney/Tower Hamlets making 2/3 bedroom places out of multiple containers, as well as the popular Shoreditch & Brixton Boxparks for events and foodie type pop up restaurants

1 hour ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Cheers, is it mostly as retail space?

Really popular down here too as housing, quite a few council projects around Hackney/Tower Hamlets making 2/3 bedroom places out of multiple containers, as well as the popular Shoreditch & Brixton Boxparks for events and foodie type pop up restaurants

Bar, hairdressers, gym, restaurant + offices I believe

On 23/10/2021 at 07:49, Buck Rogers said:

In fairness to that, its just a sh*t render / cgi. It's made from proper brick. Will look like a quality that won't age badly unlike other cladding materials. 

the problem with all these is the maintenance of them. Shipping containers look great when they go up "new" - but if they arent cleaned and maintained then they go rusty and look appalling. Theyre really useful for quick development - retail, small indie shops, CHEAP offices. But they arent a long term solution. 

simage.png.a559ff9f8e91f16909d2297ea1cb23b5.pngee also ContainerVille in London. LOADS of areas in Sheffield would benefit from something like this. 

The setup at Container City in Trinity Buoy Wharf is several years old now and is starting to look quite rough. image.png.91170ca43fbc1844a54fa2a78deed140.png

Same goes for Brickism - it looks great the moment the scaffolding comes down but unless its kept clean and good it can start to look very rough after a few years. 

• Thanks 1