Theo Corbeanu could be off due to not getting games

Just now, Tommy Crawshaw said:

More a huge load of luck than judgement.

We looked awful in the first half against Bolton with the WB formation. 

As you know, he was forced to change things through injury. And when he did, we looked a better, more balanced team. 

It’s a joke that Theo hasn’t featured more, when we’ve seen Dele, Bannan and Dennis out wide on the right. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Robdylan said:

He was very impressive against Mansfield. Very confident, dribbling at pace, where he put some quality crosses into the box. He also set up the winner. 

He deserved a start against Bolton based on that game.

He did well against Mansfield, his best showing.

Unfortunately, form has not been in factor in team selection, necessity and confusion have........😂

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Very impressive against Mansfield reserves , personally I don’t think he was 

If he played Him and Johnson in a 442 it would finish up 424 and we would get slaughtered in midfield 

We’re barely beating teams now. 

Why would we definitely get slaughtered in midfield?

Why can’t we go out and put the opposition under pressure for once?

He could also be played in a 433

You’re asking why he deserves a start, yet I could reasonably ask: Why doesn’t he?

We’re not playing great. 

We’re scraping wins. 

The WB formation keeps getting changed, as we look unbalanced at times. 

There’s no reason why he shouldn’t feature more. 

• Like 3

@Mike Hunt Ive copy and pasted what I wrote after the Mansfield game. This outlines the reasons I believe he should be starting league games. An opinion I think many shared at the time. 

He should definitely be starting league games imo. Looks a really threat. Lost count of how many times he beat his man and put the ball into a decent area and either nobody was attacking the front post (finally happened for the goal) or was there to meet it 7 yards out in the middle.

A couple of things didn’t work out and he poorly over hit a cross first half, but he was a constant thorn in Mansfield’s side. Had a decent strike saved first half which the rebound could have led to a goal. Second half did the really difficult bit and should have scored.

I’d rather have a player a fluff his lines half the time as long as he’s getting into those positions consistently. Seen him consistently create far more in the two pizza cup matches than our other wingers have during league games. He also carries the ball much further up the pitch.

He’s still a bit rusty and sometimes needs to learn to release the ball earlier, but that will come in time.

Lets play our direct forwards the next few games and let the opposition worry about us for a change.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The way I see it is like this.

He's a young player, I think Moore clearly brought him in thinking he could develop him and do a good job for us, you can tell he's raw and doesn't have that nouse to his game yet. Shrewsbury at home was an good example of this, you could tell Jack Hunt was frustrated with him for not making the right runs. He played well against Mansfield and probably should have got more minutes but we don't see what happens on the training pitch.

There are a lot of games coming up over the next few weeks if he doesn't get a few games between now and the end of November it's probably worth sending him back, it's a waste of a loan for both him and the club otherwise.

The calling for him to start I do think is a bit of that old thing of the best player is always the one who isn't playing. He wouldn't be the first to have the fanfare around him and fail to live up to the hype.

One of Moore’s supposed strengths is his use of good young players from Premier League teams hence why he can attract them.

I’m surprised how the Corbeanu move has gone like most of us but I feel

there is an element of Moore feeling a little restricted in his current role. He obviously doesn’t feel the freedom he felt at Doncaster for example because of the greater expectations and pressures here.

I think whatever happens this season will make Moore a better manager as this season at this club is a real learning curve for him after all he was loved at WBA with a better squad than he has here so that wasn’t as much of a test. His time at Doncaster was all about trying to establish himself as a new manager which he did as he got the opportunity here.

This job is the acid test. Not many managers go on to have decent careers after managing here. Where are the likes of Wilson, Jewell, Turner, Laws, Irvine, Megson, Jones, Lukuhay and Monk now? S6 has been a graveyard for managers both up and coming and established since the turn of the century. Moore has to show he has enough about him to avoid following suit. How he handles and uses players like Corbeanu and Shodipo will make or break him here IMO?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Why do you persist with using Gregory as the reason for our downfall in every post?

How many times had Gregory played for us in a 4-2-3-1 with two proper wingers/wide attackers rather than Brown, or Paterson, or Berahino or Johnson wide of him? 

He's played 89 minutes with Corbeanu, hes had 58 with Sow, and had Shodipo and Johnson, who's our best crosser on the left. Berahino's been playing wide for years, the ball was going to the right places.

There were 89 crosses in the 4 games from Morecambe to Ipswich. 

That's plenty of service. He had 7 shots.

In those 4 games we scored twice, Adeniran long range and a corner.

Next game we pushed Pato in next to him and won.

We tried going back to 4231 for Oxford, he left the game with no shots at half time. Despite the second half being our best attacking performance of the season, we lost.

Back to 2 up for Bolton.

The rest is history.

8 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

The way I see it is like this.

He's a young player, I think Moore clearly brought him in thinking he could develop him and do a good job for us, you can tell he's raw and doesn't have that nouse to his game yet. Shrewsbury at home was an good example of this, you could tell Jack Hunt was frustrated with him for not making the right runs. He played well against Mansfield and probably should have got more minutes but we don't see what happens on the training pitch.

There are a lot of games coming up over the next few weeks if he doesn't get a few games between now and the end of November it's probably worth sending him back, it's a waste of a loan for both him and the club otherwise.

The calling for him to start I do think is a bit of that old thing of the best player is always the one who isn't playing. He wouldn't be the first to have the fanfare around him and fail to live up to the hype.

Good post.  But calling for him to start isn’t odd. Not when you consider that we’re scraping by teams and are one of the lowest scoring teams in the entire league. 

44 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

He's played 89 minutes with Corbeanu, hes had 58 with Sow, and had Shodipo and Johnson, who's our best crosser on the left. Berahino's been playing wide for years, the ball was going to the right places.

There were 89 crosses in the 4 games from Morecambe to Ipswich. 

That's plenty of service. He had 7 shots.

In those 4 games we scored twice, Adeniran long range and a corner.

Next game we pushed Pato in next to him and won.

We tried going back to 4231 for Oxford, he left the game with no shots at half time. Despite the second half being our best attacking performance of the season, we lost.

Back to 2 up for Bolton.

The rest is history.

I’m interested to know where these stats are from. 

89 crosses in 4 games?

Really?

That’s a huge amount. 

That averages out at over 20 per game. 

I’ve been to games and only seen 4-5 quality crosses that weren’t intercepted. 

Are these attempted crosses or successful crosses?

That number seems way way too high for me. 

I don’t believe for a second that he’s had almost 90 crosses to attack. 

If they don’t fall to him and are intercepted well before they reach their intended target, then they’re not chances for him are they. 

If they’re blocked/cleared they’re not clear cut chances. 

Your math doesn’t add up. 

He can’t have had only 7 shots from 89 crosses. 

Also, I’ve seen many crosses that have been claimed by the keeper, as well as ones that have even gone out of play.