Time to go 442 with a settled side

We have the personnel to do it. Plus can play players in their natural positions. 
Controversial but means we can afford to leave Bannan out of starting position against teams that will be physical in the middle of the park. 
I’d personally go:

Gk BPF

RB Hunt

CB Iorfa

Cb Hutch/Gibson/Dunkley

LB Brown

RW Shodipo

LW Corbeanu 

CM Adeniran

CM Dele-Bashiro

ST Gregory

ST Berahino

Go at them. Pace. Direct. Strength. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, S72 Owl said:

I don’t think Brown is left back to be honest. 

And I can’t see Adeniran and Dele working as a 2. Needs a Luongo or Byers in there. 

And yes it is controversial to leave Bannan out when he’s our main creator.

He’s an attacking left back (brown) . Perfect for overlap with wingers. 

Creativity on this line up with is the wingers who can either cut inside or deliver crosses. 

also Berahino can drop deep to create down the middle. 

• Like 1

Guest DoesJackHunt
1 hour ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

We have the personnel to do it. Plus can play players in their natural positions. 
Controversial but means we can afford to leave Bannan out of starting position against teams that will be physical in the middle of the park. 
I’d personally go:

Gk BPF

RB Hunt

CB Iorfa

Cb Hutch/Gibson/Dunkley

LB Brown

RW Shodipo

LW Corbeanu 

CM Adeniran

CM Dele-Bashiro

ST Gregory

ST Berahino

Brown at left back - he’s played really badly there. He’s a flipping forward ! 

Shodipo on the right - he’s not played there and he’s been rubbish on the left ! 

Corbeanu on the left - he’s not played there ! 

…….and you’re dropping Bannan !

Bannan who although has been below par this season is still, by far and away, our best player. why do you think this formation allows us to leave Bannan out and why would you want to leave him out of a side so you can play Shodipo? Just put Bannan where ever you’re putting Shodipo and the side is immediately better, in or out position, Bannan would be better than him. 
This line up Solihullowl79……. It’s just completely insane! 

Thanks for really winding me up though. I’m off to get a green tea and do some breathing exercises now. Somebody light a josstick and put some binaural beats on! 

25 minutes ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

He’s an attacking left back (brown) . Perfect for overlap with wingers. 

Creativity on this line up with is the wingers who can either cut inside or deliver crosses. 

But he can’t defend? 

Its ok picking all attacking players but you need other players to defend and win the ball back too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DoesJackHunt said:

Brown at left back - he’s played really badly there. He’s a flipping forward ! 

Shodipo on the right - he’s not played there and he’s been rubbish on the left ! 

Corbeanu on the left - he’s not played there ! 

…….and you’re dropping Bannan !

Bannan who although has been below par this season is still, by far and away, our best player. why do you think this formation allows us to leave Bannan out and why would you want to leave him out of a side so you can play Shodipo? Just put Bannan where ever you’re putting Shodipo and the side is immediately better, in or out position, Bannan would be better than him. 
This line up Solihullowl79……. It’s just completely insane! 

Thanks for really winding me up though. I’m off to get a green tea and do some breathing exercises now. Somebody light a josstick and put some binaural beats on! 

Wingers can generally play and adopt to play on either wing. Having said that my mistake to allocate them the incorrect wing each. 

Brown hasn’t played left back in a conventional 442 formation. 

the defensive strength comes in the central defenders and central midfielders. Athletic strength and solidness. 

Guest DoesJackHunt
14 minutes ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

Wingers can generally play and adopt to play on either wing. Having said that my mistake to allocate them the incorrect wing each. 

Brown hasn’t played left back in a conventional 442 formation. 

the defensive strength comes in the central defenders and central midfielders. Athletic strength and solidness. 

I not convinced about Brown defensively and he wouldn’t get enough help from Corbeanu or Shodipo. If we’re going conventional 4 4 2. Then has to be Palmer or Johnson behind Brown for me.

I also just don’t think your team would see much of the ball, I do like the idea of an athletic side but it can’t just be athletic and you put shodipo in, which for me is a big NO! at the moment. 

16 hours ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

I’d personally go:

Gk BPF

RB Hunt

CB Iorfa

Cb Hutch/Gibson/Dunkley

LB Brown

RW Shodipo

LW Corbeanu 

CM Adeniran

CM Dele-Bashiro

ST Gregory

ST Berahino

Right tactic but different personnel in my opinion.

We now actually have the players to play the way we did in 2015 - possession based attacking football. But in this league i think the outcome at the end of the season would be different.

Peacock-Farrell

Hunt Iorfa Hutchinson Brown

Johnson Adeneran Luongo Bannan

Gregory Corbeanu 

15 hours ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

He’s an attacking left back (brown) . Perfect for overlap with wingers

With regards to the above, perfect for overlap with Bannan playing LM who will drift in as he did before but also will play a lot further forward where we can get the best out of him.

I am not convinced with Brown and do think we need a LB in but he would offer a good attacking outlet.

It's a good plan B, but we've seen for years our midfield is overwhelmed with just 2 playing centrally, we struggle with 3. It's also a system, very easy to play against and many teams know how to frustrate, overload midfield and expose gaps beyond rigid lines. 

That said, I do like 442, but then I'm old fashioned and from what I've seen of our players, would concede a lot of goals, with no guarantee of scoring more. 

The problem is, we recruited around 4231/433 but the players aren't capable of adapting. On paper 433 should walk over most teams in this league, scoring plenty of goals,  but instead just looks disjointed, lacking in confidence and necessary effort.

That's why planning on paper doesnt work, should be good enough but in reality struggle to string two passes together. We've shown we dan do it in patches, which makes it all the more frustrating. Whatever formation, we are at our best when playing with high tempo, these players cant or  just dont want to do it consistently so far this season.

• Like 1

Has it occurred to the 4-4-2 brigade when talking about systems that “players are comfortable in and understand” that 

Theo,  Adeniran, & FDB may never have played that system? That Hunt is generally regarded on OT as a better wing-back than full-back? 

I may be wrong but I don’t believe we have consistently played 4-4-2 since CC? So why would Iorfa, Palmer, and Patterson be more comfortable in that system ?

Asking for a friend 🤔 

4 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Has it occurred to the 4-4-2 brigade when talking about systems that “players are comfortable in and understand” that 

Theo,  Adeniran, & FDB may never have played that system? That Hunt is generally regarded on OT as a better wing-back than full-back? 

I may be wrong but I don’t believe we have consistently played 4-4-2 since CC? So why would Iorfa, Palmer, and Patterson be more comfortable in that system ?

Asking for a friend 🤔 

4-4-2 is a simple system, probably the easiest to play your full backs defend, which is their job, your two wingers hug the touchline, which is their job, and you have two up top. 

Just now, S36 OWL said:

4-4-2 is a simple system, probably the easiest to play your full backs defend, which is their job, your two wingers hug the touchline, which is their job, and you have two up top. 

Why is that simpler than 4-3-3 , 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2. We can all write a simple narrative of how a system should work. The question is does 4-4-2 really suit our squad who aren’t familiar with playing that way or does it suit our fans?