Paterson booking

There was a moment in yesterday's match when the ball got booted over a stand. If I remember correctly, the original ball then landed back on the pitch just before Bannan took a corner with a second ball. Bazza then seemed vary annoyed at a Cambridge player about something. The ref came over and, after chatting to the linesman, and getting an earful from Baz, he booked Paterson.

Anyone any idea what was going on? Why was Bannan annoyed? Why was Paterson booked?

Just now, Walkley Owl said:

There was a moment in yesterday's match when the ball got booted over a stand. If I remember correctly, the original ball then landed back on the pitch just before Bannan took a corner with a second ball. Bazza then seemed vary annoyed at a Cambridge player about something. The ref came over and, after chatting to the linesman, and getting an earful from Baz, he booked Paterson.

Anyone any idea what was going on? Why was Bannan annoyed? Why was Paterson booked?

was a joke that. Should have been bannan and maybe their player. 

Daft thing was the referee actually went over to the linesman to ask for his opinion, can’t understand it. Just another example of the poor refereeing standards in that league. 

On a similar note, what was that Wednesday flag I saw next to the away end, something about VAR? Couldn’t make it out

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Wasn't it for raising his hands?

Their lad had a grip of Bannan so Pato threw him off.

That was my view too. Dont know why Bannan so wound up, but Paterson ran over and pushed their player out of the way. Suppose as Paterson the only one who raised his hands, the only booking from that incident.  

6 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Wasn't it for raising his hands?

Their lad had a grip of Bannan so Pato threw him off.

Yes I think Pato got booked for the push/throw.

The problem occurred because the Ref failed to do anything about the blatant time wasting by Cambridge,  the second ball came back on to the pitch before the corner was taken but then the Cambridge player waited until the keeper had the replacement ball on the 6 yard line and instead of just rolling the original ball out of play on the side and getting on with the game tried to play the original ball back to the keeper with all the effort of an asthmatic sloth in order to cause further delay to the restart.  If the Ref had stamped out the time wasting Bannan wouldn't have felt the need to talk the law into his own hands.

• Like 4

Simple.   Rules say if a ball comes on field when current ball is in play, referee stops game, gets rid of spare bill and hands original ball back to team in possession. ie us.

If ball comes on field before corner is taken, ref orders corner to be retaken.

Didnt happen so Bannan complained.  Cambridge players ganged up on the little guy so Patterson came to his rescue and got booked.  Thats my witness statement anyway.  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, kirksandallowl said:

The problem occurred because the Ref failed to do anything about the blatant time wasting by Cambridge,  the second ball came back on to the pitch before the corner was taken but then the Cambridge player waited until the keeper had the replacement ball on the 6 yard line and instead of just rolling the original ball out of play on the side and getting on with the game tried to play the original ball back to the keeper with all the effort of an asthmatic sloth in order to cause further delay to the restart.  If the Ref had stamped out the time wasting Bannan wouldn't have felt the need to talk the law into his own hands.

This is exactly what happened plus Bannan told him he should have booked him and not Patterson 

Good case for having it overturned I would think 

1 hour ago, Sefton owl said:

was a joke that. Should have been bannan and maybe their player. 

Daft thing was the referee actually went over to the linesman to ask for his opinion, can’t understand it. Just another example of the poor refereeing standards in that league. 

On a similar note, what was that Wednesday flag I saw next to the away end, something about VAR? Couldn’t make it out

Yes, it's mine. It says VAR, NOT US TOO

Nothing particularly about the quality of decisions, with or without it. But I feel strongly than once VAR comes to the lower leagues (I don't know when, but it will one day), every goal comes with some level of doubt of whether you can actually celebrate a goal, and the enjoyment of going to the game is ruined. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sturutter said:

Yes, it's mine. It says VAR, NOT US TOO

Nothing particularly about the quality of decisions, with or without it. But I feel strongly than once VAR comes to the lower leagues (I don't know when, but it will one day), every goal comes with some level of doubt of whether you can actually celebrate a goal, and the enjoyment of going to the game is ruined. 

100% agreed. We should be allow to question every decision regardless of whether they go for or against us, just like bannan’s handball against Bolton that wasn’t given.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Walkley Owl said:

Annoyed due to them time wasting/slowing down the game, it was all a bit farcical, bannan should have been booked not Patterson, should have just got on with the game.

1 hour ago, kirksandallowl said:

Exactly.  Refs do nothing abpout blatant time wasting do they. It's infuriating .  From the tenth minute the Oxford GK was wasting time, all the ref did was that silly "rolling the ball" motion to him. I said "as usual he'll book him in the 90th minute", he didn't even do that!   

Just now, 31Dec1966 said:

Exactly.  Refs do nothing abpout blatant time wasting do they. It's infuriating .  From the tenth minute the Oxford GK was wasting time, all the ref did was that silly "rolling the ball" motion to him. I said "as usual he'll book him in the 90th minute", he didn't even do that!   

Booked BPF v Wigan though.

• Thanks 1