SPOILERS - discussion on Bond NTTD ending

Holmowl

If you haven’t watched No Time to Die, GO AWAY NOW!!!!!

So, for those of us who’ve watched it, what’s going to happen in the next film?

Did he really die? Or miraculously escape? I think the former. 

Will Moneypenny be in bed and emerge to find Bond in the shower, as in Dallas all those years ago.

Will they do a prequel?

Will ‘Bond’ just be a code name rather than his real name, so there can be a new Bond?

Will 007 become the brand rather than Bond? 

By killing Bond it makes it easier to introduce a lead of different gender or ethnicity. Maybe even a Northern spy…”The name’s Heckingbottom, Eric Heckingbottom”. “A pint of Otter’s Todger, bottled not draught”.

Its certainly going to stoke up interest for the next one. Brilliant (though shocking) decision by Brocolli & co.

He died-i made sure by staying incase there was a end credits scene. 

They just need to start with a new Bond like they always used to. I'm not sure why after 50 years of Bond movies that people now have an obsession with the movie studio need to explain why there is a new James Bond or have an overarching story. 

Prequel would be rubbish as it would be laughable seeing them trying to explain why this soldier is competent in absolutely everything that can be thrown at him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

They just need to start with a new Bond like they always used to. I'm not sure why after 50 years of Bond movies that people now have an obsession with the movie studio need to explain why there is a new James Bond or have an overarching story. 

Prequel would be rubbish as it would be laughable seeing them trying to explain why this soldier is competent in absolutely everything that can be thrown at him. 

Problem is no Bond has ever died before.  So starting with a new Bond is going to be tricky.

He defo died - and I think Bond name will be still used and 007 too.

How is going to be interesting.  Think the idea of it being a code name is good.

2 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Of course, but this is totally different.

Bond the character is dead.

So it’s not about a new actor, which is straightforward, but the character James Bond is now dead, so what role will Idris Elba or whoever play?

27 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Of course, but this is totally different.

Bond the character is dead.

So it’s not about a new actor, which is straightforward, but the character James Bond is now dead, so what role will Idris Elba or whoever play?

They don’t need to carry over

Daniel Craig’s Bond died

Roger Moore’s/Dalton’s/Connery’s etc didn’t

It’s fiction, no need to explain stuff

Elba would be a terrible choice for Bond, I’ve never seen him in a role anything similar to Bond. To be honest I don’t really feel he’s a big screen lead actor,

• Like 2

Not only did they kill off this version of Bond, it was made clear from the outset that he was retired and pretty much done anyway. 

I suppose the Bond films have always been contained within the individual film, though there is a degree of crossover with certain characters, plot points etc. 

Even the Craig films, which were pretty much a restart for the character, had Judi Dench as M from the previous films. 

I would assume we just see a reboot of the character, much like we've seen with Batman since Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. 

Like comic book character, Bond and his universe lends itself pretty well to reboots, a reimagining etc. 

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SiJ said:

Not only did they kill off this version of Bond, it was made clear from the outset that he was retired and pretty much done anyway. 

I suppose the Bond films have always been contained within the individual film, though there is a degree of crossover with certain characters, plot points etc. 

Even the Craig films, which were pretty much a restart for the character, had Judi Dench as M from the previous films. 

I would assume we just see a reboot of the character, much like we've seen with Batman since Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. 

Like comic book character, Bond and his universe lends itself pretty well to reboots, a reimagining etc. 

Well Marvel are literally tying it altogether now as one big multiverse

The Bond films aren't in anything but the absolute loosest continuity with each other.  They are just separate adaptations of a bunch of books (and later original stories).

They can just start with a new Bond and not mention anything about him being dead and it really won't matter.

Personally I would do a fairly grounded, cool From Russia With Love style Cold War drama set in the 1950s/60s next.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, owlinexile said:

The Bond films aren't in anything but the absolute loosest continuity with each other.  They are just separate adaptations of a bunch of books (and later original stories).

They can just start with a new Bond and not mention anything about him being dead and it really won't matter.

Personally I would do a fairly grounded, cool From Russia With Love style Cold War drama set in the 1950s/60s next.

I agree a retro Bond would be great, using 2020’s techniques and CGI. 

I re watched Quantum tonight, again stuck in due to COVID self isolation.

it’s a much better film than I remember:  it’s mercifully short compared to the new one and the action scenes are excellent. The plot is good, the baddie decent.  

it’s a much better film than the new one , which I do think is the weak one of the 5 . 

On 21/10/2021 at 10:56, Ellis Rimmer said:

They don’t need to carry over

Daniel Craig’s Bond died

Elba would be a terrible choice for Bond, I’ve never seen him in a role anything similar to Bond. To be honest I don’t really feel he’s a big screen lead actor,

This is Mark Kermodes explanation, but Simon Mayo wasn't having it.

The weird thing about Bond films is that the world has moved on around him - technology , attitudes, who the 'bad' superpowers are and how they can rule the world etc  James Bond has stayed roughly the same age , with  Q, Moneypenny and even Felix Liter and Blofeld staying the same age ..bizarrely, they have made a ' thing' out of M dying..twice. 

Still, why kill him after 50 years ?  There's absolutely no need.  We get that James Bond isn't 'real', otherwise he would be 89 now if you imagine he was 30 when the first film came out in 1962 . 

I think they could do a James Bond ' origins' thing.  His career as a serving commander in the navy before his secret agent stuff. 

I hope they don't just ignore it, say well that was the Daniel Craig Bond, and just start another series with a new James Bond and a new villain as if NTTD never happened. If they do that they have to pretend the end scene with M, Moneypenny, Q  etc raising a glass to his memory never happened as well. 

7 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

This is Mark Kermodes explanation, but Simon Mayo wasn't having it.

The weird thing about Bond films is that the world has moved on around him - technology , attitudes, who the 'bad' superpowers are and how they can rule the world etc  James Bond has stayed roughly the same age , with  Q, Moneypenny and even Felix Liter and Blofeld staying the same age ..bizarrely, they have made a ' thing' out of M dying..twice. 

Still, why kill him after 50 years ?  There's absolutely no need.  We get that James Bond isn't 'real', otherwise he would be 89 now if you imagine he was 30 when the first film came out in 1962 . 

I think they could do a James Bond ' origins' thing.  His career as a serving commander in the navy before his secret agent stuff. 

I hope they don't just ignore it, say well that was the Daniel Craig Bond, and just start another series with a new James Bond and a new villain as if NTTD never happened. If they do that they have to pretend the end scene with M, Moneypenny, Q  etc raising a glass to his memory never happened as well. 

They can’t do origins forever though. Just think of it as a multiverse if you feel the need to have continuity! 

On 21/10/2021 at 10:56, Ellis Rimmer said:

Daniel Craig’s Bond died

Agreed. No one seemed to have a problem with a tubby man in his late 50s suddenly becoming a slimmer one in his early 40s with a cleft chin. It's accepted.

The Daniel Craig era was interesting in that there was a degree of interlinking of the films and a definite 'arc' beginning with him as a young agent and ending with his death. But I can't see that anyone is going to struggle with Bond returning, very much alive, as if nothing had ever happened. Reboot and repeat.

TBH, I think there's too much value attached to the Bond 'brand' to end it or completely turn the format on it's head.

• Like 1