League Position Isn’t Too Bad Considering

48 minutes ago, Anthndav said:

We've been on a downward trajectory since the playoff semi! 

What we need to do is ride the storm for a bit and hopefully in January we can press on again and be somewhere near the playoffs with a bit of luck.

The frustration I feel about some of our fans is the demand for immediate, or at least very quick success. I don't know what it will take to hammer home the state we've been in for the last few seasons and that there was never going to be a quick and easy turnaround. There's a rebuilding exercise needed which probably needs at least a season to bear fruit, possibly longer.

In many ways this is Year Zero for us. Wherever we end up this season is going to set the benchmark for subsequent seasons and there's going to come a time when Darren Moore needs to demonstrate that he can take us forward and deliver sustained improvement. If we fail to make progress then I'll accept we need change, but for now, as long as we're in a decent league position and the wheels haven't fallen off, the sensible thing to do is to be patient.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BIG D said:

13 games played, only 5 at home.

If only we can put a good run of results together up to the end of Nov.

We also have home games in the FA Cup and EFL Trophy to go in with that lot. 

Lincoln H

Cheltenham A

Sunderland H

Gillingham H

Accrington A

MK Dons H

Wycombe H

Not sure being at home is a massive advantage is it?

To be successful you need to play goid football and get points home and away

Just now, Andy W said:

It’s not an advantage when we play turgid football and the fans get annoyed. Get on the front foot and S6 can be a bear pit for the opposition. 

• Like 1

Not that long ago people on here were saying "2 / 3 points off the top two" etc

The gap is now widening every week. We are 8 points behind Sunderland who are second and have a game in hand.       

Does anyone seriously believe we are going to win 3 more games than them and Plymouth between now and May?

• Like 3

Just now, owls maniac said:

It’s not an advantage when we play turgid football and the fans get annoyed. Get on the front foot and S6 can be a bear pit for the opposition. 

I agree it certainly should be a place opposing teams hate coming too.

Trouble is it isn't.

We haven't played on the front foot for years...therin lies the problem

Our mentality should be if the others score 2, we'll score 3

44 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Draw your away games, win your home games.

8 away so far

Only 5 at home.

I can see a slight flaw with that plan.

We are +2 points in credit in the 'away' column.

But -5 points in defecit already in the 'home' column. 

That's 5 points we are not going to get back even if we win every home game from now on. We are still going to have to win plenty of away games.

I know what you are saying, that we should average 2 points per game. We are already 6 points off the pace.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I can see a slight flaw with that plan.

We are +2 points in credit in the 'away' column.

But -5 points in defecit already in the 'home' column. 

That's 5 points we are not going to get back even if we win every home game from now on. We are still going to have to win plenty of away games.

I know what you are saying, that we should average 2 points per game. We are already 6 points off the pace.

I know...I didn't think it through🙂

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, BIG D said:

13 games played, only 5 at home.

If only we can put a good run of results together up to the end of Nov.

We also have home games in the FA Cup and EFL Trophy to go in with that lot. 

Lincoln H

Cheltenham A

Sunderland H

Gillingham H

Accrington A

MK Dons H

Wycombe H

We have picked up 10 points in our last 9 games up to before last night we were 17th in the form table. (last 8 games)

As I have said in other posts we are currently in a false position we are not a play off pushing team we are a top half team at best.

We play the wrong formation, play players in their wrong positions, don't score enough goals and concede too many slopping goals at the other end.

The biggest issue for me is we lack identity, More has been here now for 30 games, 10 wins, 10 losses and 10 draws a win percentage of 33% at his previous clubs it was near 45%, we play a very boring predicable brand of football and are getting found out against 3rd division teams.

Moore management style and presents seem to suggest he is not the quickest, in games often changes come to late to make a difference and he seems reluctant to move from his plan A, even when it is clear to everyone it is not working. I suspect with the finances at the club if Moore team is not top 6 come December he will be looking for a new job.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andy W said:

Not an advantage with this manager, nor the majority of this side.

I honestly think Hillsborough intimidates half of them, thats why its all far too careful...Notice DM's interview , he had to underline his thoughts on "Resilience"..by quoting... "A long standing player who more or less said the same thing"...I found it a bit baffling and a little needy

The new players..and the manager come here, but they don't understand the crowd getting frustrated, because they haven't been here the last sodding 20 years and its not going to change...They have to understand that

Until we get players who don't give a flyer what WE shout...We aren't going anywhere quick...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BIG D said:

But we have beaten Wigan, Rotherham and the best team in the league - Bolton. 

Ah but they don't count.....it spoils the argument and the name calling of our manager - clown,,,,muppet....idiot....If supporters behaved like supporters, ah well, that's for another time....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hangonrose said:

Not when the 'fans' look for any excuse to moan and boo. What must the players think...

Will we get paid this month maybe

I’ve clung onto the “we are still in touch even after the poor run we’ve had” for many seasons in the past, the problem is we never seem to claw our way back.

I can’t see us winning more matches than the current top 6 to move us into the top 6, this shouldn’t be the case as I do believe we have a very good squad for L1.

Edited by Spookone
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, owls maniac said:

When has Hillsborough been tough place to play for the last 20 odd years. Its a dream for the away team, keep things tight until half time and then look to go for it. If you get in front the Wednesday collapse. Its never been a tough place to play, that's a fallacy.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, owls maniac said:

Have to win on Saturday. No excuses. 

Top 2 will soon be out of reach and for that to happen in October is pretty dismal. 

Agreed, failure to win means we've played Wimbledon, Cambridge and Lincoln and not won, against 3 recently non-league sides. Maybe that's irrelevant but it isn''t good enough for our club and squad to struggle to beat these types of clubs.  

• Like 3