Never change a winning side

41 minutes ago, WalworthOwl said:

I posted this in the "Moore: How much time?" thread, but it would have gone here if this thread had been here earlier.

I came across a video "How Thomas Tuchel became the best coach in the world" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0VH6BL5_cg) and it says "at Mainz [the first club he managed, who he took to their highest ever league position] he never played the same formation with the same players twice in a row.”

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

And as per the replies in the other thread, Tuchel is not Darren Moore and SWFC are not Mainz. Further more Tuchel has settled on a formation for many of Chelsea's games, he does tweak it but they don't play 3-4-3 one week, 4-5-1 the next. 

Also at Mainz they were inferior in terms of players to their opponents most games so it is more likely to try and combat that with tactics to stop the opposition. We are not inferior to most League One teams and should be developing an approach which gets them thinking about tactical changes, not the other way around.  

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Select your best 11 players and the formation you think suits your team best.

Play them in their natural positions only - right back at right back, left winger on left wing etc

Then play a game

If you win - leave the team selection alone - don't change it

If you lose - play the same side again but tell them to put right the wrong from last time - giving them the opportunity to put it right

If they lose a second time then make changes, taking out the weakest performers and replacing with the strongest possible replacement but in that natural position

Exactly this, this is as complicated as football is 

I take it you would advocate keeping the same side that drew last time out after conceding two late goals? Just tell them in no uncertain terms to get it right this time?

I can see the logic in that as we were ok for two thirds of the game. 
Just can’t see it happening.

Just now, Blatter said:

I take it you would advocate keeping the same side that drew last time out after conceding two late goals? Just tell them in no uncertain terms to get it right this time?

I can see the logic in that as we were ok for two thirds of the game. 
Just can’t see it happening.

Yeah exactly

Owlstalk Shop

Three games in eight days might justify a few switches.  So might the return to fitness of injured players.  So might the perceived need for more pace or creativity, when you have some available. 

We need to win five in a row to return to an average of two points a game.  But right now we're only out of the play-off places on goal difference, so it's a tad early for doom and gloom.

What do 11 of the last 14 teams to get promoted out of league one all have in common (not including the Covid affected season).

They all scored at least 80 goals and all 14 had at least 80 points (many had 90+). 

What do you need to win games, you need to score more goals than you concede, what then happens is you are only scoring 1 goal a game, if you concede a goal you don't win the game. 

7 times this season we have conceded a goal in the league and on 6 occasions we have failed to win, only 1 game did we win against Wigan and that is because we had scored 2 goals.

We are currently in a false position in the league, as but because of a tight defence at the start of the league, we have the 6th worse attack in the league, now the defence is not keeping clean sheets every game we are not winning many games, just 9 points from our last 8 games is definitely not promotion form, based on the last 8 games we are in 17th place in the league.

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I vehemently and passionately disagree totally with him

I'd also be interested to know how many other teams he managed his way and succeeded with

Great thing about football is we all have opinions. Some are more qualified than others mind 😉 

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Not ‘qualified’ as such

Just that some are given the opportunity and most aren’t 

lol

I’m not sure I grasp. Just pointing out Tuchel and you are both entitled to opposite opinions but his is slightly more qualified as one of best coaches in the world. For what it’s worth I fall on your side of not changing things, but what do we know? 

How many armchair managers have done their full UEFA coaching badges on here?

There are two key variables to this brilliant theory.

1. Players get injured, or are not feeling well, or their head's not right.

2. The opposites all play different styles and set up differently.

Now I totally agree that we should approach games on the front foot and take the game to them and play for a full 90 minutes in their half, obviously...but they will find a way to get out and play against our set up, however we set up.

Moore can ask them to play in certain formations and then send them out...once they step foot onto the pitch there's only so much he can do.

We don't have a very good midfield and this is an issue. We have injuries to key players and this isn't helping. He's yet to play his strongest 11 because of injuries. He currently picks his strongest 11 but not all of them perform well and so he makes changes.

• Like 1

I always think of the professional footballer as a simple sole. Ask them to play in a position they understand and do things that they are able to do and they perform to their best ability. Mess them around and bamboozle them with overly complex formations and strategies and they struggle. Reward good performances by keeping them in the team and they try to perform well. Drop them after they play well then they get confused and anxious. I might be doing them a disservice of course and maybe it it the players constantly clamouring for the manager to change things around and rotate the team. But I doubt it. 

Clearly some player rotation is going to happen over a long season. But the amount we are seeing right now just feels overly complicated. This is the third tier of English football. Surely simple but effective is the way to go?

• Like 1

Guest DoesJackHunt
2 hours ago, The Chief said:

So teams that lose regularly should always change their starting xi? What happens when you run out of players? When are the first losing set of players allowed back in?

You play the first loosing bunch in un-natural positions. 
Keeper upfront, CB’s on the wings etc,  

After that, try innovative formations like 2 7 1 goaly wag. 

Leave no stone unturned.