Maybe this is why there's a shortage of referees?

darra

3 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Union is the one that nobody dare say a wrong word to the ref. League has more respect for ref than football, but can have a more abrasive crowd, I’ve know fan violence in league never with Union.

I must admit the hull kr and hull FC Fans didn't seem to enjoy each others company, when we where up in Newcastle. Think magic weekend (or whatever they call it) was on.

Edited by Maddogbob

On 19/10/2021 at 09:38, ANDY said:

This needs addressing from the top. Too many times professional players swarm around the ref. Shouting. Swearing etc. 

people see this and think it’s acceptable 

maybe if the pro’s had more respect for the ref then it would set a better example.  

Our captain is one of the worst culprit's...

On 18/10/2021 at 21:39, darra said:

Found this post on FB.

My 15 year old gives up his own time every Saturday to be a referee.  This morning was the last time. Today was his third game where a manager doesn't like his decision and has kicked off, 2nd time he's had to abandon a game because of it. Sadly he's decided no more. So just a polite request to managers. Please remember that the young referees are exactly that.....young! They give up their time to referee your matches!! There is no wonder that so many young referees quit, they don't deserve this abuse!! Respect your referee!

When I was younger I was effectively forced to play football in all weathers in shorts.

Grown men (and women) including my Dad seem to thing they had the right to shout and us eg. 'if your cold run around more' for Thier entertainment, while standing there drinking Thier Bovril in Thier Canada Goose (or brand equivalent at the time) massive coat of the time.

When I was older around 18 I was having a kick around on the field with mates a junior game was on, lads running round playing footy as you can imagine.  The problem this time was it was all the mothers given em what for! 

They'd finished the game, gave them a bōllockin, and I always remeber "don't let your team mates down" at the top of her voice by not turning up for a training, the lads all out of breath and just took it.

Must have been around 11 years old.  Theres trying to toughen people up and then just acting the c*** and bieng a bully.

Would be amazed if any other these took it any further as they got older.

Was an experience I hated and I imagine many more did too.

As for your son, brave fella for even attempting it, getting it from both sides.

And I don't blame him for saying no more.

I fail to see how a club that has been accused of such behavior can not get a ban, fine etc. The league fine clubs for stupid things like late submission of results (10 minutes) yet seem to let stuff like this go. The only way to stop this is to send a message and start banning clubs. As soon as kids can’t play, the penny drop. 

• Like 1

Problem with that, kids will just move teams, plenty of incidences of full teams moving to different clubs, even moving a whole teams league is possible locally.

That's before you even consider the hoops you have to jump through, to get anything changed and clubs to agree.

It's easy to subvert the system if you know how and it's dead easy to move your kid these days if you've got the contacts.

However I totally agree heavy sanctions are needed now. If not just to nip it in the bud and provide a bit of breathing space, while a viable system is put in place.

Edited by Maddogbob
  • Like 1

Ref’d for about 4 years aged 19-23. Played at a decent level, understood the game and knew the rules like the back of my hand. 

Far from a shrinking violet, and was always happy to deal with the wannabe Sunday League John Terrys at CB alternating the arm round the ref with the vitriol. All good fun. 

In 4 years, I was offered out in car parks 10+ times, was nose-to-nose against both players and spectators at least a dozen times, and took more abuse than almost any job (save maybe a bouncer). And at least their adversaries can blame drink for their behaviour. 

Don’t blame young kids for not wanting to give it a go- you don’t get into it if you don’t expect a bit of grief, but there’s only so much you can put up with before you start questioning why you’re giving up your time to help for peanuts. 

Try and speak to your local league rep? They’ll make the right noises, only for anybody acting egregiously to appear the week after as a ringer under a different name. 

Don’t know how it’s solved. Don’t know if it’s a problem spread across other European countries. But I do know that I have a 2 year old, and I would not (having experienced it) suggest to them they get into it when they grow up. Which is desperately sad. 

Edited by TheBoyBeevers
  • Love 1