Jump to content

Sky Glass TV


apswfc
 Share

Recommended Posts

Got a email the other day saying they would send me details about how to get it.  Few things I'm not sure about. It means that you sign up to Sky for 4 years, from what I've read you can't record anything looks like you stream things not 100% sure about that. If and when the tv packs in you are tied into buying another from Sky.

 

Marking content as "add to playlist" with a button on the remote (or through a Voice command) makes it available for playback on demand: as there's no local or even user-specific cloud storage*, it's a different paradigm to 'Recording'.

 

*but there's a notional ' 1000 hour cloud capacity ' with a subscription

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My friend has just been in the sky store at meadowhall and said he could of walked away with the 55" version. To start you've got to have a sky subscription but you can cancel that after 1 month - so you are not tied into Sky any longer just pay for the TV.

 

Just passing on info 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, apswfc said:

My friend has just been in the sky store at meadowhall and said he could of walked away with the 55" version. To start you've got to have a sky subscription but you can cancel that after 1 month - so you are not tied into Sky any longer just pay for the TV.

 

Just passing on info 🙂

Why would you want this TV without Sky though?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/10/2021 at 21:26, modboy said:

 

Who manufacturers it? 

The panel is made by TP Vision - who own Philips TVs. We've got a Philips TV and it's got a quality picture considering it's not OLED, but it's the Ambilight that's the selling point for me - which the Sky Glass doesn't have. 

 

Been reading that Sky Glass has had a lot of teething problems

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59122596.amp 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

 

 

I'm definitely NOT a fan of Philips TV's 

Think they look shocking and feel so dated 

I like Samsung and Sony for the record

Brother in laws got one of the Philips ambi-lights. It’s awesome, the picture is brilliant. I would expect this from any tv costing nearly £2k though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, apswfc said:

Brother in laws got one of the Philips ambi-lights. It’s awesome, the picture is brilliant. I would expect this from any tv costing nearly £2k though. 

 


I got a new TV a bit back
A 65 inch top of the line one but it didn't have ambilight on it


So I just went on Amazon, ordered a strip of LED lights for £20 and popped them onto the back of my big TV 

They look absolutely amazing, and they are compatible with Alexa so I can just say 'Alexa turn on cinema lighting' and on they come
Means I get the backlighting (I dont' want it to match the action as it never ever gets it right so it becomes a distraction for me as I'm constantly looking to see if it changes in time with the movie - it's always behind slightly which is annoying!)) but without having to have a Philips TV screen which I don't personally like at all
 


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

 


I got a new TV a bit back
A 65 inch top of the line one but it didn't have ambilight on it


So I just went on Amazon, ordered a strip of LED lights for £20 and popped them onto the back of my big TV 

They look absolutely amazing, and they are compatible with Alexa so I can just say 'Alexa turn on cinema lighting' and on they come
Means I get the backlighting (I dont' want it to match the action as it never ever gets it right so it becomes a distraction for me as I'm constantly looking to see if it changes in time with the movie - it's always behind slightly which is annoying!)) but without having to have a Philips TV screen which I don't personally like at all
 

 

Which lights did you buy please?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...