A defender all his playing career, but....

7 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

Cos he's not brave enough to attack and finish teams off

Exactly the opposite I would say 

At 2 nil they are finished off if we don’t concede 

if we get a third or fourth fine but you still only get 3 points 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Because we have no shape when on the back foot.

It’s all reactive defending. 

I mean look at this before they equalise. Iorfa & Dunkley have been dragged out to the right side of the box when they should be defending the centre. This leaves Palmer isolated.

Bannan, who should be the one closing down the crosser has decided to join the back line.

When we lose the ball we should be working as hard as possible to make a flat back 5 and a solid 3 in front of the defence. There is no shape, no organisation.

We can talk all day about scoring more goals but at 2-0 we should be able to see a game out. 

937F1ECB-C42C-40B4-935C-AF9EB053358C.png

Christ on a bike! School playground stuff getting drawn out of position like that. Why oh why is no one closing the ball down? Bannan! Shocking for professional players to defend like that.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it shows we need a better defenders than what we have, you could even throw in midfielders, although those in front of the defence are not really known for been defensive midfielders.

Come January (If we are allowed) we desperately need a holding midfielder, a centre half and an actual left back. 

It's time to stop playing Palmer as a CB or LB and we should look to off load Dunkley to allow us to bring in a replacement. Oh, yeah, Stop f...in about with it at the back trying to play out, we don't have the players to do this.

• Like 4

What is horrifying about that photo is we have five players ( half of our outfield team) within a yard or two of the ball, and yet he still has time and space to make a cross right into the danger area. Why didn’t one of them close him down

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Plonk said:

What is horrifying about that photo is we have five players ( half of our outfield team) within a yard or two of the ball, and yet he still has time and space to make a cross right into the danger area. Why didn’t one of them close him down

It's things like that which makes you realise we are not going anywhere.

I genuinely don't think our team have a clue. They seem a bit dim.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Personally I think it comes down to poor coaching on the training ground.

This has been a problem under Monk and now Moore.

2 coaches that can't get their team organised or implement a particular way of playing.

GM had a multitude of issues to deal with,underperforming players,alleged 'player issues' leading to 2 players being dropped,injurys(Fletcher) Covid 19 lay off,players refusing contract extensions, not being able to bring in his own players,players allegedly not being paid,,,...Where does it end?

Yet people still blame him,if GM had remained our manager we would be playing in the Championship now

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bannan can be very good with a football at his feet (except at set pieces). When he doesn't have a football at his feet he's a schoolboy running about as a headless chicken. A captain will see the shape, will understand the threat and organise...he thinks that he needs to drop into the back line as a hero defender.

Over the past two and a half seasons we have lost more games with him in the side 'running' midfield...we need a really strong midfield and we haven't had one for the past 3 seasons. Games are won in midfield.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Yesterday was "typical Wednesday" in that we actually looked comfortable at the back and unlikely to concede a goal at all.

Then we go into stupid mode,  switch off and concede. Twice. 

I think there's only two sides in the division that have conceded less than us. 

That tells me we can defend, but the worrying thing is when we concede. Is it mental? Physical? Lack of strength of character? Lack of leadership? Lack of a vocal keeper to organise the defence? All of the above? Something else?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Because we have no shape when on the back foot.

It’s all reactive defending. 

I mean look at this before they equalise. Iorfa & Dunkley have been dragged out to the right side of the box when they should be defending the centre. This leaves Palmer isolated.

Bannan, who should be the one closing down the crosser has decided to join the back line.

When we lose the ball we should be working as hard as possible to make a flat back 5 and a solid 3 in front of the defence. There is no shape, no organisation.

We can talk all day about scoring more goals but at 2-0 we should be able to see a game out. 

937F1ECB-C42C-40B4-935C-AF9EB053358C.png

I noticed this last night on the SSN highlights - just very poor defending; waiting rather than closing down or looking at the next possible stage of the game. The player only has limited options for his next pass and he notices two attacking and two defenders in the box - that's not a bad % chance for an attacking team - why didn't the central defenders not see this?

image.png.40e7ad01e2fab7277ca07cd3be71cf18.png

Just now, Animis said:

I noticed this last night on the SSN highlights - just very poor defending; waiting rather than closing down or looking at the next possible stage of the game. The player only has limited options for his next pass and he notices two attacking and two defenders in the box - that's not a bad % chance for an attacking team - why didn't the central defenders not see this?

image.png.40e7ad01e2fab7277ca07cd3be71cf18.png

Then the next stage exposes both our keeper's and our full backs' poor positional sense. Wildsmith is static; perhaps a reaction of his flapping earlier in the game, and Brown gets caught not being goal side of the scorer. It's a inch perfect cross, but you have to assume it will be when defending. This passage of play should really concern Moore, and it needs sorting out because collectively it is costing us quite a few points.

image.png.b80715ced915878be92c3f3dc0f5c6e1.png

• Thanks 2