Why are we so crap...?

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Lack of a coherent strategy or the funds to compete, although not always at the same time.

We've had good managers such as Laws and Gray, but without the money to make promotion a realistic ambition, then we had the funds but went on a scattergun recruitment spree which pushed the club close to the precipice, when a more focussed approach under a manager better suited to Championship football than Carvalhal would likely have seen us reach the Premier League.

In all my years as a Wednesday fan, nobody in charge of the club seems to have had a long-term strategy which was both realistic and sustainable, other than perhaps Mandarič, the limit of whose ambition was to consolidate in the Championship.

This ☝️
We haven’t had a plan or anything that resembles a plan for donkeys years

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Not a curse, but it’s amazing that we can’t even fluke our way to a decent season in the Championship and get promoted via the Playoffs…  especially when you list the clubs that did so, including the likes of Blackpool ffs. 

21 years and look at the clubs who have got up to the Premier League while we have been bumbling around the Championship and League One. 

Blackpool, Hull, Pigs, Reading,  Norwich, Birmingham, Neecastle, Villa, Bournemouth,  Cardiff,  Leicester, Watford,  Wolves, WBA, QPR,  Palace, Burnley,  Brentford,  Brighton, Fulham, Huddersfield, Southampton, Stoke ffs!

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Patheard said:

Ok, why did we get cursed in 1998?

How would I know?? All I know is it happened. And the evidence for it is….everything that has happened since 1998!!! Someone must have done something to bring on the curse, but surprisingly enough, no one is stepping up and taking responsibility for it! 
I might be wrong. But I’m not. 

Cursed!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, blueandwhitematt said:

Could go on all day here.  A hell of a lot comes from spectacular boardroom mismanagement and understandable toxicity from that, but I’ll leave that as the obvious issue. 

For me, one huge repeating factor is the weight of pressure and expectation - not that it exists but it’s horrendously addressed by the club. We keep appointing managers and signing players who can’t hack it. So many of our recent managers have been more bothered about nullifying the opposition in home games, than thinking actually I have 20,000 fans at my disposal here, let’s get at teams and get them on my side, make this a hard place to come.  We have an expectant fan base, with a living memory of being one of top clubs in the country in the early 90s. We obviously aren’t going back to that, but the expectation that we should be a top tier side rightly or wrongly isn’t going anywhere. Therefore, find personnel that can deal with it, and perhaps get what it means to manage a club like this. We’ve had one season in recent times where a manager harnessed that - Carlos first year. Attacking football, the use the crowd as an intimating factor (Arsenal game anyone?) and expectation to drive the players on.  I appreciate it’s not that simple, but at least act like we’re up for a challenge. 

Bingo.

Leeds were a laught stock - getting through all the usual safety first, boring merry-go-round managers who retreated into themselves cos they couldn't handle a club of that size.

Bielsa comes in, same set of players, basically says 'second division defences are shizzle, get at them, run your hearts out and get the crowd going'.

And boom - off they went.

There's no curse here.

Just cat managers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1