Why are we so crap...?

Not just now. Not even in the past few seasons. Virtually throughout my time supporting Wednesday we've been garbage or, if not complete toilet, somewhere hovering just above that standard. 

We've had money chucked at us, we've had managers who either have good pedigree or have gone onto (rarely) better things but we've not had a consistently competitive period. 

Why? Is it because we lack a philosophy, an identity on the pitch? Is it because we did something terrible in our history and now we are cursed?

I just don't get it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spondon Owl said:

Not just now. Not even in the past few seasons. Virtually throughout my time supporting Wednesday we've been garbage or, if not complete toilet, somewhere hovering just above that standard. 

We've had money chucked at us, we've had managers who either have good pedigree or have gone onto (rarely) better things but we've not had a consistently competitive period. 

Why? Is it because we lack a philosophy, an identity on the pitch? Is it because we did something terrible in our history and now we are cursed?

I just don't get it.

No it's because our approach to everything is throwing poo at a wall hoping some of it will sticks.

We accept below par managers, coaching staff, over paid under performing players. The chairman only comes out from under his rock when he wants the fans money and does not give a poo about us for the rest of the time.

But we keep turning up in our thousands as long as that continues nothing will change.

But if team turn up for the next few games and the stadium is empty or no fans travel to away games, we stop buying the over prices merchandise. It won't take long before changes are made, but that will never happen, as it's not the Wednesday way we just put up with being treated badly time and time again.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Lack of a coherent strategy or the funds to compete, although not always at the same time.

We've had good managers such as Laws and Gray, but without the money to make promotion a realistic ambition, then we had the funds but went on a scattergun recruitment spree which pushed the club close to the precipice, when a more focussed approach under a manager better suited to Championship football than Carvalhal would likely have seen us reach the Premier League.

In all my years as a Wednesday fan, nobody in charge of the club seems to have had a long-term strategy which was both realistic and sustainable, other than perhaps Mandarič, the limit of whose ambition was to consolidate in the Championship.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

I just don't get it.

It’s a curse mate. Don’t even bother reading any of the other explanations. Curse. End of thread. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

There are a million reasons. But I’ll start with one that seems most pertinent at the moment - the complete lack of a winning mentality. 

We employ managers with a record of mediocrity and no history of that relentless winning week after week after week which is what you need to get promotion. 

The current exponent of mediocrity is - as we all know - a ‘nice guy’ that talks up poor teams like Wimbledon in the run up to the game. Then he frequently picks a team with Brown and Paterson as our wide attackers and leaves more skilful, orthodox attackers on the bench. 

If we manage to get in front we sit back, invite pressure and capitulate.

If we go behind we don’t have the stomach to even fight back for one point. 

And as fans we seem to largely accept it.

Passive mediocrity from top to bottom. 

The team is crying out for winners. Warriors. Defenders that stand up and be counted when under pressure… attackers that want to go for the jugular when the opposition are on the ropes… a manager that gets his team well drilled and on the front foot. Taking the initiative not giving it away.

We seem lacking in all these things, and that’s at least partly why we’re so crap.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

5 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

It’s a curse mate. Don’t even bother reading any of the other explanations. Curse. End of thread. 

Not a curse, but it’s amazing that we can’t even fluke our way to a decent season in the Championship and get promoted via the Playoffs…  especially when you list the clubs that did so, including the likes of Blackpool ffs. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Not a curse, but it’s amazing that we can’t even fluke our way to a decent season in the Championship and get promoted via the Playoffs…  especially when you list the clubs that did so, including the likes of Blackpool ffs. 

Nope. Curse. 

• Haha 3

Poor managers

Some god awful players - very often free signings and old duffers - mostly overpaid with little to no motivation.

I've always thought good managers will consistently get the best out of average players to make them overachieve. 

Poor managers will not.

• Like 2
  • Love 1