Your team v Cambridge

We signed so many wingers, god knows why we’re playing 3 at the back. Massive waste of talent in the likes of Shodipo, Corbeanu and Sow - players who can genuinely run at players and try and make things happen.

BPF

Hunt Iorfa Dunkley Palmer

Bannan Dele-Bashiru

Shodipo Paterson Johnson

Gregory

4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-2

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Blatter said:

Name your team then with two wingers and two up front. You’ll soon see the problems in central midfield. I believe the squad was assembled 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 in mind but Moore has no idea how to play it. However if we ever get Luongo, Windass and Gibson fit we might have a chance.

Dele and Aderanin in Central midfield gives us strength and power, which allows us to play two out and out wingers and two strikers. BUT, this won't happen because of Moore's insistence in playing Bannan, which weakens our midfield. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Solid 442 for me, 3 central defenders just seems to confuse things at the back.

Would like to see Corbeanu given a run out right midfield but I think his defensive qualities will count against him.

Wing and Bannan can't play side by side it detracts from both of their games. But There is a player in Wing as Rotherham proved last season.

Assuming all these players are available.

Wildsmith

Hunt.                           Iorfa.                      Hutch.                     Palmer

Wing.                   Adeniran.              Dele.            Bannan

Paterson.          Gregory   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would kinda like to continue with Moore's 3-5-2 for a more settled side, but it means no wingers and we have only 2 fit CB's currently. So based on the current injured player list I will go for 4-3-3:

Peacock-Farrell

Hunt,  Dunkley,  Iorfa,  Johnson

Paterson,  Dele-Bashiru,  Bannan

Corbeanu,  Gregory,  Shodipo

Bench: Wildsmith, Brown, Palmer, Wing, Berahino, Sow, Kamberi 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Blatter said:

Agree with most of that but we still lack a left footed left back and left footed centre back . Gibson seems injury prone and Brown apparently not trusted at left back. Until all this can be put right I fear we’ll continue to ship goals down the left. 
Truth is we need a proper left back plus Luongo Hutchinson Gibson and Windass fit and firing to have a chance of making  4-2-3-1 workable. 

Should be a priority in January to sort the left back situation, although I suspect there is a shortage of them on our supermarket shelves due to Covid/Brexit/supply chain issues(*select one, two or three reasons) “Left Backs Now Rarer Than Rocking Horse Poo” - headline shocker!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Owl247 said:

Interesting that Ipswich were 2-0 up away at Cambridge today and ended up drawing 2-2 giving away the equaliser in the 88th minute.

Paul Cook made comments about the size of the Cambridge players and the fact that once they got some corners towards the end of the game he was concerned.  they scored from an 88th minute corner.

speaking to an Ipswich supporting mate who went to the game he says Cambridge just kept pressuring their players into making errors and then getting the ball into the box as quickly as possible.

Could be another difficult away trip for us 

WTF:

1 hour ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Would like to see Corbeanu given a run out right midfield but I think his defensive qualities will count against him.

Wing and Bannan can't play side by side it detracts from both of their games. But There is a player in Wing as Rotherham proved last season.

Wildsmith

Hunt.                           Iorfa.                      Hutch.                     Palmer

This is alright …as long as Bannan can play in the hole feeding Gregory and Paterson as he did for the first goal at Wimbledon. And as long as you can rely on Hunt to bomb forward (and get back).

Of course, all this is purely academic given that on Tuesday neet Mr Moore will once more consult “The Sorting Hat” to decide on which wizards go where!

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Shetland Owl said:

After todays performance we still are looking for our best side

BPF

Lofra, Dunkley, Palmer

Hunt                                                Johnson

Denis, Bannan, Dele

Paterson, Gregory

Not sure whey Denis was missing today

Iorfa.

• Haha 1

Totally depends on fitness , sounds like Dennis and hutch have a reasonable chance . Still have no massimo or Windass I’d imagine or byers

Tough one with the keeper , probably DM will go for BPF

BPF

Hunt

Iorfa

Hutch

Palmer

Bannan

Dele

Adenrian

Corbeanu (number 10 free role )

Gregory

Paterson

Subs:

Wildsmith

Johnson

Dunkley

Berahino

Wing

Kamberi

Shodipo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Peacock-Farrell 

Hunt                           

Iorfa                     

Hutch                   

Palmer

Wing

Adeniran             

Dele           

Bannan

Paterson         

Gregory   

• Like 1

I’ve wanted us to setup as an attacking 442 all season and utilise some of these wingers we’ve signed, that being said I just don’t think DM will go for it.

Although I’m personally not a fan of the 352 formation I do think we played okay using it and I think DM will probably use it again against Cambridge. Using this approach I’ll go with the following unless the injury states change:

GK - BPF

CB - Iorfa

CB - Dunkley

CB - Palmer

RWB - Hunt

CM - Adeniran 

CM - Dele-Bashiru 

CM - Bannan

LWB - Johnson

ST - Berahino 

ST - Gregory 

Edited by OwlsPilgrim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/10/2021 at 12:32, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Wildsmith

4-4-2 with no wide midfielders? 

Perhaps OK with 2 attacking full-backs but we aint going to get any natural attacking width from Palmer on the left. 

1 hour ago, Pieman said:

……………….Wildsmith

………Dom…….Dunks…..Palmer

……Hunt...Dennis...Baz…..Brown

……….Patto….Gregory…Bera

Because 3-4-3 has worked so well for us.....

1 hour ago, OwlsPilgrim said:

I’ve wanted us to setup as an attacking 442 all season and utilise some of these wingers we’ve signed, that being said I just don’t think DM will go for it.

Although I’m personally not a fan of the 352 formation I do think we played okay using it and I think DM will probably use it again against Cambridge. Using this approach I’ll go with the following unless the injury states change:

GK - BPF

CB - Iorfa

CB - Dunkley

CB - Palmer

RWB - Hunt

CM - Adeniran 

CM - Dele-Bashiru 

CM - Bannan

LWB - Johnson

ST - Berahino 

ST - Gregory 

Same for me. I much prefer 4-2-3-1 with the options we have but was impressed with how we played for an hour with 3-5-2 on Saturday, it was as good as we have been since the first month. 

At least one of Adeniran & FDB are vital to this being effective though, and I'd also go with Paterson ahead of Berahino, as things stand I think Paterson has linked up better with Gregory and although some of his game is very basic he does have a knack for getting goals and creating chances. 

BPF

Hunt.    Iorfa     Dunkley     Johnson

Adeniran               Bannan

Sow                    Dele- Bashiru                    Corbeanau. 

Gregory 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1