Sports Psychologist

We should keep up with the times and employ a sports psychologist. Majority of top players use them and recognise  their value.You only need to ask people like Cristiano Ronaldo to realise they are integral to a players development and well being.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I know you're joking, but I'm actually in a very good job and I'm on track to retire at 40.  

Checkout my blog where I chart my four year journey which I started in 2019 to achieve early retirement.  It's at davidscothern.com

I know youre joking, but I'm itching to tell everyone that I'm retiring early 😂

1 hour ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I don’t have the time or motivation to do that. 

I approached SWFC a few years ago to ask if they wanted to take part in a study on home advantage. They ignored me. Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, and 20+ other Prem and Champ clubs took part. Even our cross city rivals. 

When I started publicising the study and, in general terms, the results, guess who came asking for the results? SWFC. 

I was looking at how stadium design, placement of fans, pre match and half time routines etc impact on home advantage, or how to make your stadium a fortress. It was fascinating research. 

It doesn't surprise me that you didn't get a reply. I worked for a Football Club for about 12 years in all and the number of requests received from Students doing sports degrees, to would be Physios, wannabe groundsmen  etc etc all wanting a route into working in football would have to be seen to be believed. We would have had to employ someone full time just to write the rejection letters alone. If we had taken them all on we would have had more there Monday to Friday than crowd on a match day. The problem is of course that many of the hopefuls thought that they were the only ones doing what they were doing. So dont take the fact you were ignored personally its more likely that what you wanted had been done or that they simply didn't have the staff with the time to respond. That said we did comply with many requests and take people on work experience etc but as I said the numbers are so great you simply cant do or reply to them all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pughies Jockstrap said:

It doesn't surprise me that you didn't get a reply. I worked for a Football Club for about 12 years in all and the number of requests received from Students doing sports degrees, to would be Physios, wannabe groundsmen  etc etc all wanting a route into working in football would have to be seen to be believed. We would have had to employ someone full time just to write the rejection letters alone. If we had taken them all on we would have had more there Monday to Friday than crowd on a match day. The problem is of course that many of the hopefuls thought that they were the only ones doing what they were doing. So dont take the fact you were ignored personally its more likely that what you wanted had been done or that they simply didn't have the staff with the time to respond. That said we did comply with many requests and take people on work experience etc but as I said the numbers are so great you simply cant do or reply to them all.

I'm not taking it personally.  It's one of those things.  I wrote to every club that had competed in the top two divisions over a three-year period.  I can't recall the exact numbers, but something like 50% responded.  Only one response was a decline (Wolves).  The rest were eager to take part.  Some clubs sent back my questionnaire completed with a basic cover letter.  Others though, such as Burnley (Championship club at the time) took a great deal of time out and sent me back my questionnaire plus a huge amount of additional information that helped with the research.  

From memory, Chelsea also sent back a highly detailed reply, as did Manchester City who gave me a full breakdown of all the info I requested as well as a full copy of the schedule and notes from the stadium announcer on match day.

The thing is, it was years ago but even now I still have something of a soft spot for those clubs who did reply.  I'm sure that there are many people who do write/call in for work experience and the like.  This was different though; an official study back by a university that would be going through peer review with the hope of being published.  There were some big names in the world of sport psychology linked to the study.

I don't blame any club for not taking part, nor do I hold a grudge.  But think about it this way, for a smaller club at the time like Wigan, Bolton, or Burnley, this research (if taken on board) might, stress might, have earned them an extra few points over the course of a season.  Forward thinking clubs will look for an edge wherever they can find it, even if it's just squeezing out an extra 2% because that tiny extra bit of edge can be the difference between relegation or survival, or winning the title or finishing 3rd.  Clubs will happily spend thousands of £££ on journeymen players, when for a fraction of that they could employ a few more admin staff and a few more data analysts.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I'm not taking it personally.  It's one of those things.  I wrote to every club that had competed in the top two divisions over a three-year period.  I can't recall the exact numbers, but something like 50% responded.  Only one response was a decline (Wolves).  The rest were eager to take part.  Some clubs sent back my questionnaire completed with a basic cover letter.  Others though, such as Burnley (Championship club at the time) took a great deal of time out and sent me back my questionnaire plus a huge amount of additional information that helped with the research.  

From memory, Chelsea also sent back a highly detailed reply, as did Manchester City who gave me a full breakdown of all the info I requested as well as a full copy of the schedule and notes from the stadium announcer on match day.

The thing is, it was years ago but even now I still have something of a soft spot for those clubs who did reply.  I'm sure that there are many people who do write/call in for work experience and the like.  This was different though; an official study back by a university that would be going through peer review with the hope of being published.  There were some big names in the world of sport psychology linked to the study.

I don't blame any club for not taking part, nor do I hold a grudge.  But think about it this way, for a smaller club at the time like Wigan, Bolton, or Burnley, this research (if taken on board) might, stress might, have earned them an extra few points over the course of a season.  Forward thinking clubs will look for an edge wherever they can find it, even if it's just squeezing out an extra 2% because that tiny extra bit of edge can be the difference between relegation or survival, or winning the title or finishing 3rd.  Clubs will happily spend thousands of £££ on journeymen players, when for a fraction of that they could employ a few more admin staff and a few more data analysts.  

Thanks for the reply. Strangely the bigger the club the bigger the resources and in my experience the better chance of a positive response. As a matter of interest what in a nutshell were your conclusions and did you ever think about working in the game or did you do so in the sports science field.

2 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I don’t have the time or motivation to do that. 

I approached SWFC a few years ago to ask if they wanted to take part in a study on home advantage. They ignored me. Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, and 20+ other Prem and Champ clubs took part. Even our cross city rivals. 

When I started publicising the study and, in general terms, the results, guess who came asking for the results? SWFC. 

I was looking at how stadium design, placement of fans, pre match and half time routines etc impact on home advantage, or how to make your stadium a fortress. It was fascinating research. 

Would you mind sharing? Sounds very interesting 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pughies Jockstrap said:

Thanks for the reply. Strangely the bigger the club the bigger the resources and in my experience the better chance of a positive response. As a matter of interest what in a nutshell were your conclusions and did you ever think about working in the game or did you do so in the sports science field.

From what I remember, the concept of Home Advantage is real, but it wasn't as pronounced as I expected.  Also, those with a better level of home advantage had a higher proportion of long-term season ticket holders as part of their overall crowd.  Absolute numbers in terms of attendance did not seem to impact on home advantage and it was tricky untangling causality.  The placement of home fans across all four sides of the ground has a slight impact.  I looked at a lot of other, minor, details, but I'm going back over a decade now.  

EDIT: One thing that I learned is that the average football fan had no idea about which clubs had the best home advantage.  They'd look at Manchester United (for example) and see that they win 17 of their 19 home games.  "Wow, that's crazy home advantage!" But when you drill down into goals scored, conceded, points won, games with losing etc, you're actually comparing home form versus away form.  Many of the better teams seemingly had lower levels of home advantage because the quality of their players meant their home and away form was largely similar.  

No desire to work in the game.  I wanted to get into research and lecturing, but then my mental health tanked.  So now, I'm putting my number crunching skills to practice through investing with the goal of retiring early. 

Edited by i used to be sc_owl

20 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Our issues run a lot deeper than that.

You just knew that we were going to draw at best once Wimbledon scored their first today, and that's not us fans being irrationally fatalistic, is it? That's based on our experiences of watching this team over the past few seasons and watching us capitulate time after time as soon as we suffer a setback of any kind.

There's no resilience there whatsoever. 

I said in the matchday thread after the second goal that,  the game would be as good as won for any other team but for us it wasn't. It's not the Wednesday way.

I'm never comfortable until the final whistle blows.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

From what I remember, the concept of Home Advantage is real, but it wasn't as pronounced as I expected.  Also, those with a better level of home advantage had a higher proportion of long-term season ticket holders as part of their overall crowd.  Absolute numbers in terms of attendance did not seem to impact on home advantage and it was tricky untangling causality.  The placement of home fans across all four sides of the ground has a slight impact.  I looked at a lot of other, minor, details, but I'm going back over a decade now.  

EDIT: One thing that I learned is that the average football fan had no idea about which clubs had the best home advantage.  They'd look at Manchester United (for example) and see that they win 17 of their 19 home games.  "Wow, that's crazy home advantage!" But when you drill down into goals scored, conceded, points won, games with losing etc, you're actually comparing home form versus away form.  Many of the better teams seemingly had lower levels of home advantage because the quality of their players meant their home and away form was largely similar.  

No desire to work in the game.  I wanted to get into research and lecturing, but then my mental health tanked.  So now, I'm putting my number crunching skills to practice through investing with the goal of retiring early. 

Thank you thats really interesting with some factors that I wouldn't have thought had any relevance at all. Just goes to show. Anyway I wish you all the best with your current endeavours and hope you  achieve your goal.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bolton9owl said:

On a serious note if I had your qualifications and lived relatively local I’d be banging on their door relentlessly until they heard my claim. Sheffield Wednesday need real help and you could be the start. 
Let’s be fair our beloved team and club are failing on so many fronts but regretfully the current owner, his Directors and Management seriously don’t believe they are doing anything wrong or badly.

Until the day arrives when we have an owner that employs real leaders and top professionals we will unfortunately scrape through from one dismal week to another.

Get knocking on their door mate - please

If he was a real fan he would be offering his services for nothing.😆

• Haha 1

On 16/10/2021 at 17:12, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Surely we need to employ one, or several, sharpish

Totally agree,

It's always the last ten minutes, desperately hanging on after doing all the hard work.

A lack of steel (ironically), or confidence, or belief? Whatever it is it's become the Wednesday way.

But there's good news, keeping a lead is easier than getting it in the first place so surely it's just a matter of getting the mental side right.

Do we have a sports psychologist at the club does anyone know? If not we need one, if we do we need a new one.

• Like 1

I think there is certainly a place for a sports psychologist in modern day football but the basics we require should be drilled into the players to do certain things at critical times in the game that should be automatic 

I mean you don’t get up in the morning and forget which shoes to put on the right feet 

Yesterday we were 2 nil up never really in danger and the manager pressed the self distruct  button 

It should have been “ it’s nil nil defend like feck 

• Like 1

On 16/10/2021 at 17:18, i used to be sc_owl said:

I have a degree in Sport Psychology, and did my dissertation on UK professional football, for which I was awarded a 1st.

My wage demands are fair, and references are available on request.

I find the psychological aspect of sport fascinating so I can understand why it would make an interesting degree. I really think the importance of the mind is hugely underestimated in sport. I wish I’d had the calmness of mind I enjoy now when I was playing football in my twenties. I hope you get to use your degree professionally. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, East Yorks Owl said:

I find the psychological aspect of sport fascinating so I can understand why it would make an interesting degree. I really think the importance of the mind is hugely underestimated in sport. I wish I’d had the calmness of mind I enjoy now when I was playing football in my twenties. I hope you get to use your degree professionally. 

Thank you, but I think those days are in the past now. I’m settled in a routine and don’t fancy rocking the boat too much. 

• Like 1