Sports Psychologist

3 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I know you're joking, but I'm actually in a very good job and I'm on track to retire at 40.  

Checkout my blog where I chart my four year journey which I started in 2019 to achieve early retirement.  It's at davidscothern.com

Having mildly trolled you for doing a lesser degree, am scared to open that link. Imagine it will lead to that dark chap with his unfeasibly large appendage that is in every other picture message on WhatsApp 🤣

• Haha 3

It;s a captain we need . Someone who has a voice , can lead , encourage and put 'em right when needed . Also needs to be a good link and have some influence with the manager .

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, alan48 said:

It;s a captain we need . Someone who has a voice , can lead , encourage and put 'em right when needed . Also needs to be a good link and have some influence with the manager .

The mentality of our squad got a hell of a lot weaker once the likes of Loovens, Semedo, Pudil and Wallace left. Fletcher leaving didn't help, either.

The players we've brought in since just don't seem to have the same strength of character, do they?

Not every player has to be a natural leader, but every squad needs some who are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I know you're joking, but I'm actually in a very good job and I'm on track to retire at 40.  

Checkout my blog where I chart my four year journey which I started in 2019 to achieve early retirement.  It's at davidscothern.com

I'm a Mortgage advisor too but that website is massively boring, even for me

2 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Life would be boring if we all liked the same thing. Thanks for checking it out though. 

I had a look at it and I thought it was good.. and good on you having a life plan like that. 

Would say it’s still difficult to retire at 40 though on the numbers you have in there. Life expectancy nowadays is about 85. You need 7 figures to jack work in completely I reckon unless you’ve got a pension annuity to live off.

I’m probably a couple of years younger than you and it does feel like the deck is stacked against us. Asset prices are very high vs historical norms so it’s hard to extrapolate out continuous growth, would expect mean reversion at some point. The generation before have had it much easier with more generous pensions and cheap housing and equity markets to invest in.

3 hours ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Having mildly trolled you for doing a lesser degree, am scared to open that link. Imagine it will lead to that dark chap with his unfeasibly large appendage that is in every other picture message on WhatsApp 🤣

I would like that on my headstone “ here rests James...Father, Husband,Son , Friend...a good,decent, all rounder. Good character, kind heart.... and an unfeasibly large appendage 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Surely we need to employ one, or several, sharpish?

And if we're already employing the services of one, perhaps look elsewhere for someone else who can get hold of these players and instil a bit of resilience and calmness under pressure?

The number of points we've thrown away from winning positions; late goals we've conceded; and individual errors which have seriously undermined our efforts in the past few seasons is off the charts.

From the outside looking in, there seems to be a serious issue with the mental side of our game, and it's not going to change unless we actively go out of our way to identify the root causes and address them head on.

We can't just keep throwing our hands up in exasperation and hope it'll sort itself out next week. It's not sorted itself in the past several years, and unless we address the mental fortitude of our players before long, we'll be going nowhere this season, either.

I’ll do it, but I have no qualifications for it.

Can you angrily shout “win the game!” at them over and over again?  
I think that’s what I would do, maybe do a moonwalk as well and bite aggressively into a whole lemon to show I meant business. Then boot Wildsmith in the shin and I then aggressively lob digestive biscuits at Patterson while shouting “score some *ucking goals you ********!”

Can us Wednesday fans also get access to psychologists?  Feel as though I could do with some help and reading Owlstalk and the continual meltdowns it is apparent I am not the only one basket case!

9 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I had a look at it and I thought it was good.. and good on you having a life plan like that. 

Would say it’s still difficult to retire at 40 though on the numbers you have in there. Life expectancy nowadays is about 85. You need 7 figures to jack work in completely I reckon unless you’ve got a pension annuity to live off.

I’m probably a couple of years younger than you and it does feel like the deck is stacked against us. Asset prices are very high vs historical norms so it’s hard to extrapolate out continuous growth, would expect mean reversion at some point. The generation before have had it much easier with more generous pensions and cheap housing and equity markets to invest in.

Don’t want to derail the thread but just a brief reply…

I might not achieve the goal by 40, but even so, I’ll be in a better position. Between myself and my investment partner, we can almost certainly acquire two more BTL before the end of 2022. At that point, it snowballs very quickly. 

If you (or anyone) wants to chat about it in more detail, just drop me a message. 

17 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I have a degree in Sport Psychology, and did my dissertation on UK professional football, for which I was awarded a 1st.

My wage demands are fair, and references are available on request.

On a serious note if I had your qualifications and lived relatively local I’d be banging on their door relentlessly until they heard my claim. Sheffield Wednesday need real help and you could be the start. 
Let’s be fair our beloved team and club are failing on so many fronts but regretfully the current owner, his Directors and Management seriously don’t believe they are doing anything wrong or badly.

Until the day arrives when we have an owner that employs real leaders and top professionals we will unfortunately scrape through from one dismal week to another.

Get knocking on their door mate - please

31 minutes ago, bolton9owl said:

On a serious note if I had your qualifications and lived relatively local I’d be banging on their door relentlessly until they heard my claim. Sheffield Wednesday need real help and you could be the start. 
Let’s be fair our beloved team and club are failing on so many fronts but regretfully the current owner, his Directors and Management seriously don’t believe they are doing anything wrong or badly.

Until the day arrives when we have an owner that employs real leaders and top professionals we will unfortunately scrape through from one dismal week to another.

Get knocking on their door mate - please

I don’t have the time or motivation to do that. 

I approached SWFC a few years ago to ask if they wanted to take part in a study on home advantage. They ignored me. Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, and 20+ other Prem and Champ clubs took part. Even our cross city rivals. 

When I started publicising the study and, in general terms, the results, guess who came asking for the results? SWFC. 

I was looking at how stadium design, placement of fans, pre match and half time routines etc impact on home advantage, or how to make your stadium a fortress. It was fascinating research. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I was looking at how stadium design, placement of fans, pre match and half time routines etc impact on home advantage, or how to make your stadium a fortress. It was fascinating research. 

If you do say so yourself!

:duntmatter:

To be fair, it does sound interesting, and it's depressingly predictable that Wednesday passed up the opportunity to get ahead of the curve yet again.

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

If you do say so yourself!

:duntmatter:

To be fair, it does sound interesting, and it's depressingly predictable that Wednesday passed up the opportunity to get ahead of the curve yet again.

I remember Wolves replying along the lines of, “we’re far too big a club to take part.”

Felt like forwarding the letters I got from the other huge clubs. 

• Haha 2