Wildsmith

Guest LondonOwl313

I’d give Jack Hall a go.. just turned 17 and made his debut for England under 18s last week. 

Apparently we’ve just turned down a 250k bid for him from Brighton so he can’t be bad… I don’t think anyone would offer 250k for Wildsmith or Dawson

1 hour ago, scilly owl said:

I have two good friends that are season ticket holders at Exeter and they LOVE Dawson.

I don’t think that he feels the same pressure at St James’s Park. He started well there and he receives lots of praise…. great for his confidence.

He seems to have done really well, although made a clanger for the second goal today.

Will be interesting to see how they feel about him at Christmas. They’re back to conceding 2 goals a game and now he’s dropped a ball to concede

This is typically what usually happens and somehow he struggles to recover

2 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

And he makes a mistake....what do think would have been said?

Wildsmith deserved his chance, he earned it. Hindsight is a wonderful player...

Sorry but this isn’t about deserving chances and hindsight. 

We are going round in circles with Wildsmith (and Dawson, who absolutely would be in this conversation if we hadn’t sent him to Exeter). 

The assessment on Wildsmith has already been made. It was made in the summer when we brought in BPF. We didn’t sign BPF to add to the carousel of goalkeepers. We brought him in to be the number 1 because neither Wildsmith or Dawson were. 

BPF is the first choice GK. If we are going to go back down this road of chopping and changing the GK position in a reactionary way to every mistake, we may as well send BPF back, and being Dawson back to play every other 5 games between them both showing neither are good enough - again.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Sorry but this isn’t about deserving chances and hindsight. 

Yes it is...if a player doesn't deserve a chance then what's the point?

Btw BPF is no superstar..Moore or whoever decided to bring him in made a mistake...it happens a lot...especially at Swfc.

7 hours ago, SquirrelSlingshot said:

Not Wildsmith’s biggest fan, but blaming him for either goal is a bit of a stretch

7 hours ago, Errol Flashman said:

Anyone pinning that second goal on  Wildsmith has  a serious case of  confirmation bias.

Agree with this.

Wildsmith wasn't perfect by any stretch, he made a fair amount of errors especially some of his passing out from the back which was shocking (Moore's fault for insisting on this moronic tactic), but by luck rather than judgment none of his errors cost us a goal, whereas it seems every single Peacock-Farrell error seems to end up in a goal.

13 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

Peacock-Farrell should be playing. Yes he’s made a few errors but he’s still our best keeper. Not playing him today has probably caused Moore a bit of a problem now. 

I think his get out will be that he only returned from international duty so hasn’t trained with the squad all week. He’ll be back in next game 

14 minutes ago, Django said:

I think his get out will be that he only returned from international duty so hasn’t trained with the squad all week. He’ll be back in next game 

That's what he said essentially verbatim:

Joe was always going to play today. Bailey has been away with Northern Ireland, he’s done a lot of travelling this week to Bulgaria and Switzerland, he only joined up with us on Friday so missed all the building to this game. We have another game on Tuesday and we will assess the goalkeeper situation then.

I think someone said it nicely earlier

BPF has cost us points with some bad errors but has generally performed very well. In comparison Wildsmith due didn’t show an overall level of performance suitable for this level - and of course, yet again it’s back to conceding 2 goals a game