Wimbledon vs Sheffield Wednesday - OMDT

3 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

They were the same passage of play, Berahino"s was saved, it came straight back in for the header.

My main issue is the fact that we've had to change the entire team to accommodate him.

In baseball they have a stat called WAR. Wins Above Replacement. 

Would you get better results with this player or by replacing him.

This season he's missed a number of sitters, missed a number of crosses that if he got a touch would have been goals.

He had enough good chances to win the Morcambe game and the Shrewsbury game that a striker of his reputation should have put away.

If any other player had missed them, they'd be hounded out. 

I believe that if we'd put someone else, Kamberi, Pato or even Corbineau up front for those games, we would have won. He's cost us points by not doing his job, but gets a free pass whilst the defence and midfield get slated for it.

Wing's getting 5s for the game yesterday and provided more attacking threat than him. If Wing had taken the penalty, he'd be MoM. Outside three moments, Gregory was slow, weak and innefective. Every challenge with their 6 had him on his backside. He held nothing up, provided no outlet. That's why he needs Pato up there with him.

Ha ha 

You would make a good politician 

You say a lot but it means nothing 

Leading Goalscorer 

leads the line very well 

Works back 

MoM votes yesterday 128

nearest to him got 12 

but you wouldn’t play Gregory 

lol 

1 minute ago, Mike Hunt said:

Ha ha 

You would make a good politician 

You say a lot but it means nothing 

Leading Goalscorer 

leads the line very well 

Works back 

MoM votes yesterday 128

nearest to him got 12 

but you wouldn’t play Gregory 

lol 

In the side as it stands, yes. I'd play him. It's built around him.

I've said before,  MoM is based on highlights. Flashy stuff. Goals. A couple of seconds. 

No way was he anywhere near as good as Bannan, Wing or Hunt yesterday. But he's the focus of the 2 minute highlight video, and that's what people remember and vote on.

He doesn't lead the line at all. If he could, we'd still be playing one up front. 

That's why he has Pato, who's running around like an excited spaniel while Gregory chills in the middle and waits for the ball.

30 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

In the side as it stands, yes. I'd play him. It's built around him.

I've said before,  MoM is based on highlights. Flashy stuff. Goals. A couple of seconds. 

No way was he anywhere near as good as Bannan, Wing or Hunt yesterday. But he's the focus of the 2 minute highlight video, and that's what people remember and vote on.

He doesn't lead the line at all. If he could, we'd still be playing one up front. 

That's why he has Pato, who's running around like an excited spaniel while Gregory chills in the middle and waits for the ball.

Wing 

lol

your on the wind up 

4 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Wing 

lol

your on the wind up 

This is my point. 

Wing played at DM, spent most of the game defending and oicking up the second balls but still had the same amount of shots on target in open play as Gregory.

Wing's stats.

Shots 3, second. Joint first if you don't include the penalty.

Shots on target 2, second. Or joint first, as above.

Interceptions 2, joint first.

Clearances 4, joint second.

Tackles 2, joint third.

He won a penalty, was all over the pitch all game but gets slated because putting in the work doesn't get you MoM on here, highlights do.

Watch the game again, not just the highlights and you'll see Wing popping up everywhere all game and you'll see Gregory lose the ball every time he had more than two touches.

17 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

This is my point. 

Wing played at DM, spent most of the game defending and oicking up the second balls but still had the same amount of shots on target in open play as Gregory.

Wing's stats.

Tackles 2, joint third.

He won a penalty, was all over the pitch all game but gets slated because putting in the work doesn't get you MoM on here, highlights do.

Watch the game again, not just the highlights and you'll see Wing popping up everywhere all game and you'll see Gregory lose the ball every time he had more than two touches.

You are going on cold hard stats and not taking into account the flow of the game or what else they did with the ball. 

Around 200 people voted in the man of the match poll, none of them voted for Wing. You say man of the match is based on highlights but in these polls people also give their opinion of how each player faired. 

Only one player averaged less than Wing yet you have him down as a star performer. Along with your assessment of Gregory, I think it is time to take your opinions with a pinch of salt.

The vast majority who went, watched or listened to the game were of the opinion that Gregory played well AND scored two goals, not just scored two goals. He worked hard, as he did last weekend yet you continue to berate him for not doing so. He got into good positions, set up two very good chances and had a good effort on goal well saved. 

Whatever bias you have against him is showing through when you can't acknowledge this. 

29 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

This is my point. 

Wing's stats.

Tackles 2, joint third.

If it's stats you want, Wing completed 62% of his passes yesterday, 7 of our players faired better, including all the midfielders. By comparison Bannan and FDB were above 90%.

Wonder why you left that stat out? I'd like our midfielders to be able to pass to their team mates, not to the opposition 4 times in every 10 attempts. 

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You are going on cold hard stats and not taking into account the flow of the game or what else they did with the ball. 

Around 200 people voted in the man of the match poll, none of them voted for Wing. You say man of the match is based on highlights but in these polls people also give their opinion of how each player faired. 

Only one player averaged less than Wing yet you have him down as a star performer. Along with your assessment of Gregory, I think it is time to take your opinions with a pinch of salt.

The vast majority who went, watched or listened to the game were of the opinion that Gregory played well AND scored two goals, not just scored two goals. He worked hard, as he did last weekend yet you continue to berate him for not doing so. He got into good positions, set up two very good chances and had a good effort on goal well saved. 

Whatever bias you have against him is showing through when you can't acknowledge this. 

The flow of the game and what they did with the ball are what I'm trying to get across.

I said that if Wing had taken the pen, that he won, he'd have been man of the match. People remember that.

Nobody remembers the slide that cut out the through ball, the picking up of the second ball, the forward runs, the grunt work that he did. They remember the bad pass to FDB and hitting it over the bar.

I watched the game again last night as I said and apart from the goal, Gregory was innefective, and lost it more often than not. But he's a striker,  so all you'll ever get is "but he scored".

He will be in good positions if he stays in the middle while everyone else chases. If we put Kamberi in there, he would too, so would Pato or Berahino.

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

If it's stats you want, Wing completed 62% of his passes yesterday, 7 of our players faired better, including all the midfielders. By comparison Bannan and FDB were above 90%.

Wonder why you left that stat out? I'd like our midfielders to be able to pass to their team mates, not to the opposition 4 times in every 10 attempts. 

17% of those missed passes were long balls, that's the main reason for the low percentage. We won 5 aerial duels compared to their 13 around their side of the half way line. Not to mention the balls played in behind that nobody got to.

Gregory completed 56%, no long balls, so he missed half of his passes. Most of the ones he did were short backwards passes.

1 hour ago, Tewkesbury said:

17% of those missed passes were long balls, that's the main reason for the low percentage. We won 5 aerial duels compared to their 13 around their side of the half way line. Not to mention the balls played in behind that nobody got to.

Gregory completed 56%, no long balls, so he missed half of his passes. Most of the ones he did were short backwards passes.

lol

16 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

lol

It's OK.

Darren Moore had a choice.

Build a team around 4231 and wingers or Gregory and 2 up top.

He's picked Gregory, who's 33, only played 9 games last season, has a worse goalscoring record than nuhiu and even after yesterday, still has the same goal to shot ratio as Pato and Kamberi. 

We'll probably lose Shodipo, Corbineau and Kamberi in January as they can't get in the team.

All of the best scoring teams have a quick forward who provides a threat and an out ball, we have no pace whatsoever up front.

I know he's scored 5. Yay. But he has the same goal to shot ratio as Pato and Kamberi, (Kamberi's is better if you count the Pizza cup) even with them playing mostly in midfield and on the wing. Maybe one of them could be on more?

He is our top scorer and the focal point of the team, but what have we given up for it and will it be worth it come May?

48 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

It's OK.

Darren Moore had a choice.

Build a team around 4231 and wingers or Gregory and 2 up top.

He's picked Gregory, who's 33, only played 9 games last season, has a worse goalscoring record than nuhiu and even after yesterday, still has the same goal to shot ratio as Pato and Kamberi. 

We'll probably lose Shodipo, Corbineau and Kamberi in January as they can't get in the team.

All of the best scoring teams have a quick forward who provides a threat and an out ball, we have no pace whatsoever up front.

I know he's scored 5. Yay. But he has the same goal to shot ratio as Pato and Kamberi, (Kamberi's is better if you count the Pizza cup) even with them playing mostly in midfield and on the wing. Maybe one of them could be on more?

He is our top scorer and the focal point of the team, but what have we given up for it and will it be worth it come May?

Gregory at the moment is on course for 20 goals over the season maybe he will not get there but he is the best finisher at the club , his first goal yesterday was a superb effort 

can you remember the last player to get 20 goals in a season? 

Just now, Mike Hunt said:

Gregory at the moment is on course for 20 goals over the season maybe he will not get there but he is the best finisher at the club , his first goal yesterday was a superb effort 

can you remember the last player to get 20 goals in a season? 

He's on course for it yes.

Will he get it?

Probably not the way he's been playing. 5 goals, 2 rebounds and a pen.

6 games without a goal. The amount of good chances he's squandered has been shocking.

He's also 33, and hasn't started a full season for 2 years.

He may get 20, but like I said, what do we give up for it?

We've abandoned all of the recruitment work to fit him in. Shodipo? Corbineau? He can't play with them.

We may get a 20 goal a season striker but lose 3-4 10 goal players to do it.

DM has gambled our season on Gregory being better and scoring more than the wingers. Up to now, we aren't scoring anywhere near enough.

I hope it pays off. I hope Gregory gets loads of goals.

I just can't see it over the course of the season.

3 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

He's on course for it yes.

Will he get it?

Probably not the way he's been playing. 5 goals, 2 rebounds and a pen.

6 games without a goal. The amount of good chances he's squandered has been shocking.

He's also 33, and hasn't started a full season for 2 years.

He may get 20, but like I said, what do we give up for it?

We've abandoned all of the recruitment work to fit him in. Shodipo? Corbineau? He can't play with them.

We may get a 20 goal a season striker but lose 3-4 10 goal players to do it.

DM has gambled our season on Gregory being better and scoring more than the wingers. Up to now, we aren't scoring anywhere near enough.

I hope it pays off. I hope Gregory gets loads of goals.

I just can't see it over the course of the season.

3 to 4 10 goal players 

lol

you are a stats man 

when was the last time we had 3 to 4  10 goal players? 
and who was the last 20 goal striker ? 

Gregory is on just under one in two at the moment he would probably have had six if he had took the other penalty 

but tap ins and penalties don’t count apparently 

that’s a clue by the way 

2 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

3 to 4 10 goal players 

lol

you are a stats man 

when was the last time we had 3 to 4  10 goal players? 
and who was the last 20 goal striker ? 

Gregory is on just under one in two at the moment he would probably have had six if he had took the other penalty 

but tap ins and penalties don’t count apparently 

that’s a clue by the way 

I'm saying that his finishing before this week was non existent. 19 shots in 8 games before this week with the 2 rebounds to show for it. Before yesterday he was our 4th best striker for goals per minute. What's to say they wouldn't be on 6 if given the minutes? Why didn't any other striker get an opportunity to even try?

BTW, we currently have 5 players on track for more than 10 goals if they get the minutes.

Adeniran

Berahino

Paterson

Kamberi

Gregory 

9 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

I'm saying that his finishing before this week was non existent. 19 shots in 8 games before this week with the 2 rebounds to show for it. Before yesterday he was our 4th best striker for goals per minute. What's to say they wouldn't be on 6 if given the minutes? Why didn't any other striker get an opportunity to even try?

BTW, we currently have 5 players on track for more than 10 goals if they get the minutes.

Adeniran

Berahino

Paterson

Kamberi

Gregory 

Gregory has scored 5

the rest of them have scored 6 between them 

lol

Just now, Mike Hunt said:

Gregory has scored 5

the rest of them have scored 6 between them 

lol

But he's had all the minutes and been the focal point for the last 10 games or so.

He's scored a goal every 162 minutes.

Kamberi 247, Pato 287, Berahino 333, Adeniran 382. 

A goal every 414 minutes is needed for 10 over the season.

He's the only one who's played every game in his best position. He has the same shot to goal ratio as Pato and Kamberi.

Why was he given the opportunity and not them.

Kamberi has a goal every 116 minutes at CF. He'd be on 7 at that rate given Gregory's minutes.

5 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

But he's had all the minutes and been the focal point for the last 10 games or so.

He's scored a goal every 162 minutes.

Kamberi 247, Pato 287, Berahino 333, Adeniran 382. 

A goal every 414 minutes is needed for 10 over the season.

He's the only one who's played every game in his best position. He has the same shot to goal ratio as Pato and Kamberi.

Why was he given the opportunity and not them.

Kamberi has a goal every 116 minutes at CF. He'd be on 7 at that rate given Gregory's minutes.

If if if 

There is only 1 stat that counts that’s putting the goal in the onion bag 

cannot debate with you further on this matter as you clearly have an agenda against our leading goal scorer ,

Toodle pip Roland 

1 minute ago, Mike Hunt said:

If if if 

There is only 1 stat that counts that’s putting the goal in the onion bag 

cannot debate with you further on this matter as you clearly have an agenda against our leading goal scorer ,

Toodle pip Roland 

Toodloo

4 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

So 83% of his missed passes weren't long balls.

Why are you comparing the passing percentage of a striker to a ball playing midfielder? 

Why not compare the passing stats of the midfielders, where to were above 90% and one was 62%.

As for Gregory not working hard, take the blinkers off.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So 83% of his missed passes weren't long balls.

Why are you comparing the passing percentage of a striker to a ball playing midfielder? 

Why not compare the passing stats of the midfielders, where to were above 90% and one was 62%.

As for Gregory not working hard, take the blinkers off.

17% of his total passes were missed long balls. So more like 80% accuracy on his shorter passes, most of which were in forward areas so less likely to succeed than ones in our half. Actually pretty good.

It wasn't me who brought up passing. I was highlighting Wing's work rate in the game. 

Wing also only lost possession once, in their area, to Gregory's 7.

Did Gregory work?

Yes.

As hard as Hunt, Wing, Paterson, FDB, Bannan, Brown?

Not even close.

• Haha 1