Wimbledon vs Sheffield Wednesday - OMDT

21 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

What’s the chances of Dele starting the next game ? 

I think he should by the way 

Who knows with this lottery of selection and formation.

We had plenty of wingers on the bench today, they make it 2-2 with 5 minutes to go plus a chunk of added time and we elect not to twist. 

44 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Good teams, promotion contending teams, don't blow a game from that position against that level of opposition with the form they have been in.

Your view of FDB's performance differs from the majority, do you think he was more or less likely to get tackles in and get up and down the pitch than say Wing was against a side looking to get back into it in the last 20 minutes?

It's not just hindsight to think that taking off your only box to box midfielder for a striker when winning an away game with 20 minutes left is a bit of a strange decision, in fact I posted my concern on this in this thread more or less as it happened.  

I think the consensus over recent weeks suggests we aren't a good team, yet. Fortunately it's a poo league and we are still 7th, despite obvious flaws. 

Dele Bashiru did well, but was in and out of the game. He was also tiring, as would be expected following his effort today and impact on the game diminishing. Replaced with a forward. 

Wing and Paterson had more running in their legs and neither directly responsible for either goal. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

it shows how few ball winners we have if that’s the case 

To be fair we have two that are crocks and another who would have helped in that regard in Adeniran out today too. 

Moore shouldn't need anyone to tell him that Bannan and Wing wont win too many tackles and carry the ball from deep in that situation. 

7 minutes ago, striker said:

I think the consensus over recent weeks suggests we aren't a good team, yet. Fortunately it's a poo league and we are still 7th, despite obvious flaws. 

Dele Bashiru did well, but was in and out of the game. He was also tiring, as would be expected following his effort today and impact on the game diminishing. Replaced with a forward. 

Wing and Paterson had more running in their legs and neither directly responsible for either goal. 

Wing never has had and did not have more running in his legs than FDB. Paterson doesn't have the pace to carry the ball out from deep and is more likely to foul than win the ball back. 

The sub was a poor one. There were clearly other subs that could have been made too. 

19 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Wing never has had and did not have more running in his legs than FDB. Paterson doesn't have the pace to carry the ball out from deep and is more likely to foul than win the ball back. 

The sub was a poor one. There were clearly other subs that could have been made too. 

It's a subjective opinion. All were involved in the game, Wing and Paterson to a greater extent than Dele Bashiru towards the end. The boy put in a shift today. 

Paterson was chasing down to the end, pace or not as was Wing who was also in and around the opposition box today more than he has been previously. He was the one fouled for the penalty. 

All had a good game and at that point putting another forward on wasn't a negative change. 

Ultimately leaving Brown on was a costly mistake in hindsight, but watching in real time he did seem to have found a second wind after seemingly picking up a knock. 

I'm not particularly defending the  substitution made, don't really care TBH. But don't think it impacted the game as much as we are thinking it did, given this debate! 

5 minutes ago, striker said:

It's a subjective opinion. All were involved in the game, Wing and Paterson to a greater extent than Dele Bashiru towards the end. The boy put in a shift today. 

Paterson was chasing down to the end, pace or not as was Wing who was also in and around the opposition box today more than he has been previously. He was the one fouled for the penalty. 

All had a good game and at that point putting another forward on wasn't a negative change. 

Ultimately leaving Brown on was a costly mistake in hindsight, but watching in real time he did seem to have found a second wind after seemingly picking up a knock. 

I'm not particularly defending the  substitution made, don't really care TBH. But don't think it impacted the game as much as we are thinking it did, given this debate! 

I never said it was a negative substitution, I said at the time it was the wrong one, what did Berahino offer? Wing could not cover the ground across midfield as well as FDB. The general consensus is that only Brown performed at a lower level than Wing.

As for Brown getting a second wind, his fitness wasn't as much the issue as his all round play, he was poor most of the game.  

25 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I think Wing has plenty of running in him but if that’s all it takes Seb Coe and Brendan Rogers would have played for England, 2.0 nil up you keep your shape make sure they are restricted to chances and hit them when they are committing men forward 

1 minute ago, Mike Hunt said:

I think Wing has plenty of running in him but if that’s all it takes Seb Coe and Brendan Rogers would have played for England, 2.0 nil up you keep your shape make sure they are restricted to chances and hit them when they are committing men forward 

We need pace up top to do that, hence them sitting high up the pitch hitting it straight to their forwards.

They don't have to commit forwards,  they're already there.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Really? Most times I've seen him this season he has looked like his boots are made of cement. Was better today but relying on him and Bannan to do a job in midfield to prevent a team coming back into it with no energy/tackles around them sadly got the result I expected at the time the sub was made. 

2 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

We need pace up top to do that, hence them sitting high up the pitch hitting it straight to their forwards.

They don't have to commit forwards,  they're already there.

But neither has a tackle in them really. It worked fine today in terms of them creating chances with a combative runner in the midfield with them. 

How do you think Gregory did today? 

20 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Oh dear 

I see he's not replied regarding Gregory.

Spent a fair few posts berating him prior to kick off today and then didn't post anything until the above post, wonder why. 

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I see he's not replied regarding Gregory.

Spent a fair few posts berating him prior to kick off today and then didn't post anything until the above post, wonder why. 

Let me watch the game again, then you'll get a full review.

Bit busy today.

1 hour ago, Mike Hunt said:

Running away with MOM if that helps 

lol

They also have Wing on a 5 who was the second best player on the pitch after Bannan.

Gregory took his goal well and the pen, so MOM is nailed on, but other than the header and taking it off the keeper for FDB at around 70 minutes did nothing.

But it's all about the highlights.

I'll hold my hand up and say that if he scores 2 every game I'll be happy.

However. He got absolutely bullied all game by their no.6. Lost the ball more than any other player, didn't make a forward pass or one over 5 yards all game. He played better v Bolton.

Wing was our most dangerous attacker today, but his finishing was terrible. I can see why he's rated though. He was evwrywhere, making all the runs that the forwards weren't. 

As for my point earlier. After about 70 minutes their defenders were playing in our half. Their keeper was 10 yards outside his box. We have no long ball threat.

Bannan and Wing were trying to put the ball in behind to relieve the pressure, but there was nobody there.

We were crying out all game for some pace up front. Wing and FDB were making some great runs from midfield and were causing them problems. There were a few times that game where a through ball was on but no pace to make it.

Keep Gregory in the side if you want, but put someone mobile up front with him. Him and Paterson are the same player in open play. They even got in each others way a couple of times trying to do the same thing. We need the threat of pace or teams are just going to box us in our own half, because we can't turn their defence.

45 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

They also have Wing on a 5 who was the second best player on the pitch after Bannan.

Gregory took his goal well and the pen, so MOM is nailed on, but other than the header and taking it off the keeper for FDB at around 70 minutes did nothing.

But it's all about the highlights.

I'll hold my hand up and say that if he scores 2 every game I'll be happy.

However. He got absolutely bullied all game by their no.6. Lost the ball more than any other player, didn't make a forward pass or one over 5 yards all game. He played better v Bolton.

Wing was our most dangerous attacker today, but his finishing was terrible. I can see why he's rated though. He was evwrywhere, making all the runs that the forwards weren't. 

As for my point earlier. After about 70 minutes their defenders were playing in our half. Their keeper was 10 yards outside his box. We have no long ball threat.

Bannan and Wing were trying to put the ball in behind to relieve the pressure, but there was nobody there.

We were crying out all game for some pace up front. Wing and FDB were making some great runs from midfield and were causing them problems. There were a few times that game where a through ball was on but no pace to make it.

Keep Gregory in the side if you want, but put someone mobile up front with him. Him and Paterson are the same player in open play. They even got in each others way a couple of times trying to do the same thing. We need the threat of pace or teams are just going to box us in our own half, because we can't turn their defence.

Apart from scoring 2 goals

and this

and this 

and this  

did nothing 

lol

1 hour ago, Mike Hunt said:

Apart from scoring 2 goals

and this

and this 

and this  

did nothing 

lol

The three this' were actually one thing, badly described.

He took a pen but wasn't involved in the buildup and yes, scored a good goal for the first. I'll give him credit for that.

That's 5-6 touches of the ball in 90 minutes. The rest of the time he was a passenger. Won little in the air, didn't hold anything up, anonymous for most of the game.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

The three this' were actually one thing, badly described.

He took a pen but wasn't involved in the buildup and yes, scored a good goal for the first. I'll give him credit for that.

That's 5-6 touches of the ball in 90 minutes. The rest of the time he was a passenger. Won little in the air, didn't hold anything up, anonymous for most of the game.

Are you for real 

what about  when he beat the goalkeeper to the ball and set up Berhinio ? 
and then the header that the Keeper saved from the resulting cross 

He had a great game but you clearly don’t rate our leading goal scorer 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Are you for real 

what about  when he beat the goalkeeper to the ball and set up Berhinio ? 
and then the header that the Keeper saved from the resulting cross 

He had a great game but you clearly don’t rate our leading goal scorer 

They were the same passage of play, Berahino"s was saved, it came straight back in for the header.

My main issue is the fact that we've had to change the entire team to accommodate him.

In baseball they have a stat called WAR. Wins Above Replacement. 

Would you get better results with this player or by replacing him.

This season he's missed a number of sitters, missed a number of crosses that if he got a touch would have been goals.

He had enough good chances to win the Morcambe game and the Shrewsbury game that a striker of his reputation should have put away.

If any other player had missed them, they'd be hounded out. 

I believe that if we'd put someone else, Kamberi, Pato or even Corbineau up front for those games, we would have won. He's cost us points by not doing his job, but gets a free pass whilst the defence and midfield get slated for it.

Wing's getting 5s for the game yesterday and provided more attacking threat than him. If Wing had taken the penalty, he'd be MoM. Outside three moments, Gregory was slow, weak and innefective. Every challenge with their 6 had him on his backside. He held nothing up, provided no outlet. That's why he needs Pato up there with him.