Pulis on the wind up

The worst manager we’ve ever had. 

I was embarrassed watching the performances whilst Pulis was in charge.

We struggled to even get into the opposition half and resorted to booting it up field hoping it would go out of play for a throw in just so we could re group.

Awful

• Like 1

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Why?

He was quite rightly horrified by some of the stuff he saw going on and incurred the chairman's wrath for refusing to take advice from one of his 'football advisors' (the one who's still in his teens), so offered to walk away from his contract for nothing. The chairman instead opted to fire him and pay him off.

The circumstances surrounding his departure just show how much of a basket case our club is, I'm afraid.

Bang on the money.

• Thanks 1

Guest mrbluesky
9 hours ago, Ronio said:

Pulis would have kept us up.

I know many will think wtf, but I do believe we would have stayed up had he remained in the job.  

Many will disagree, the football would have been awful to watch, 451, 631 whatever you want to call it.  But we would have stayed up.  

Under a different regime 100%, he didn't have a chance under DC, penny still hasn't dropped with many on here.

Let’s face it, no one can ever truly say with absolute certainty what would or wouldn’t have kept us up. But we did get within 20 mins of staying up so undoubtedly the margins were super tight and a small difference somewhere along the line would have kept us in the Championship. For me the most obvious reason for our demise was our lack of goals. Signing an actual target man at any point in the season would have made all the difference in my opinion.

Even if the much debated Nuhiu had remained at the club, just to hold up the ball on those occasions where we ended up conceding in the last 5 mins it might have made enough difference. 

But none of that happened. And that was down to the long-standing financial mismanagement of the club. Which was down to the chairman. 

• Like 1

Pulis was the wrong choice from the start. He is the manager to make you solid and organised. We were never leaking goals before he came in. Our problem was, and still is, scoring goals. Only now we have developed a knack of shooting ourselves in the foot by playing it out from the back, with players that are ill equipped to do so, resulting in bringing pressure and mistakes upon ourselves.

Pulis's one aim was to get to the January window drawing 0-0 but negating our own attacking threat to batten down an already reasonably solid defence was ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Frankie.G said:

If players aren’t playing for manager your only heading in one direction 

Forget the manager ….They weren’t playing for the club because they weren’t getting paid 

If the players aren’t playing for the club then you’re only heading in one direction 

46 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

We would have gone down under any manager last season 

No individual manager is to blame for our relegation IMO.

But with the last 20 minutes remaining of last season, we were outside the relegation zone.

As @CircleSeven has put above, the margins ended up being very tight.  Your post seems to indicate that wasn't the case and we were inevitably going to go down regardless of what was happening off the pitch.

If SWFC had been ran without the wreckless abandon that we've come to expect in the DC era, we might not be midtable in League One right now.  I don't know how any sensible fan can argue different.

2 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

The worst manager we’ve ever had. 

I was embarrassed watching the performances whilst Pulis was in charge.

We struggled to even get into the opposition half and resorted to booting it up field hoping it would go out of play for a throw in just so we could re group.

Awful

Completely agree, terrible record, terrible football, I'm not usually supportive of getting rid of managers too quickly but Pulis stayed too long! 

Despite the spaff fest on here by certain posters who were jizzing over the fact we now had a “proper manager” nobody can honestly say he was anything other than one of the worst managers we have ever had. 

Should have been sacked the minute he played Iorfa as a central midfielder. The mans obsession with playing centre backs in every position was ridiculous.

13 hours ago, Django said:

I don’t blame Pulis for what happened last season. He walked into a job with probably the most ill equipped squad to play his style of football he could wish for. No leaders, no sh*t house up top, no decent wingers, no left back 😆

He knew what he was coming into.

He had the same resources of every other manager we had last season. Remarkably the football was worse under him than under Monk, results and performance wise. The difference in the attitude of the team when a complete novice of a manager at professional level took over from him was clear. 

5 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

All about opinions but Jos Luhukay and Alan Irvine were far far worse managers than Tony Pulis.

In what way?

Pulis played negative football. Nobody at all wanted to play for him. He made us worse, won one in ten and by pure coincidence brought in a former Celtic scout as his assistant manager which in no way contributed to one of our young prospects moving to Celtic soon after......

I expected much better and he failed to deliver on a huge scale. 

It would almost be worth Pulis getting one last job with someone to see if he really is past it or not, the evidence from his short spell with us certainly suggested so.

I can see what Ronio is saying in fairness, his spell was summed up for me by the first game at Preston, looked solid for 20 minutes then Windass got himself a stupid red card and we wound up losing the game. Player discipline during the first half of last season was absolutely abysmal, our card totals were embarrassing.