Pulis on the wind up

5 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Pulis would have kept us up.

I know many will think wtf, but I do believe we would have stayed up had he remained in the job.  

Many will disagree, the football would have been awful to watch, 451, 631 whatever you want to call it.  But we would have stayed up.  

Agree, awful football but still in Championship, now even worse football and in league 1.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ronio said:

I know many will think wtf, but I do believe we would have stayed up had he remained in the job.  

Many will disagree, the football would have been awful to watch, 451, 631 whatever you want to call it.  But we would have stayed up.  

With funds in January probably so, just.

But that was never going to happen and some of those performances were among the worst I've ever seen and I'm not exaggerating there at all.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

With funds in January probably so, just.

But that was never going to happen and some of those performances were among the worst I've ever seen and I'm not exaggerating there at all.

Looking back, I could see what Pulis was trying to achieve.  

Not all performances were that bad.  We looked organised and disciplined at times.

it was individual errors that cost us some of those games.  Liam Shaw making rash challenges when we were on top.  Tom Lees also getting sent off in one game.  

The player discipline was all over the place.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Not all performances were that bad.  We looked organised and disciplined at times.

it was individual errors that cost us some of those games.  Liam Shaw making rash challenges when we were on top.  Tom Lees also getting sent off in one game.  

Agree they weren't ALL bad but the ones that were were awful.

I don't think anyone reasonable would put all the blame on Pulis but he didn't help himself with the way we set up in some of those games. He clearly didn't know what he was taking on when he took the job, I think he underestimated the challenge.

Also from bits and bobs I've heard, his man management was terrible, which wouldn't have helped the situation with a squad probably low on confidence and belief.

• Like 1

Agree they weren't ALL bad but the ones that were were awful.

I don't think anyone reasonable would put all the blame on Pulis but he didn't help himself with the way we set up in some of those games. He clearly didn't know what he was taking on when he took the job, I think he underestimated the challenge.

Also from bits and bobs I've heard, his man management was terrible, which wouldn't have helped the situation with a squad probably low on confidence and belief.

Have to disagree with your last sentence that Pulis's man management was terrible.  

I believe he was a good manager who knew what he was doing.  He knew the game, understood it well.  

Only one person to blame for our downfall and that lays at the doorstep of Dejphon Chansiri.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ronio said:

Have to disagree with your last sentence that Pulis's man management was terrible.  

I believe he was a good manager who knew what he was doing.  He knew the game, understood it well.  

Only one person to blame for our downfall and that lays at the doorstep of Dejphon Chansiri.  

I think he was a good manager, I think the modern game might be passing him by a bit. I don't think we'll see him back personally.

Again I'm not laying the blame for where we've ended up on Pulis, I don't think anyone is really. 

He'd have been a better appointment in 2019 after Bruce f*cked off rather than Monk in hindsight. He was probably the closest thing available to Bruce at that point which is what we needed.

• Like 4

Just now, sherlyegg said:

1 win from 10. 7pts from 30..it might be a bit to do with him

Yeah of course. I was more referring to the way the whole club has been run since the Play Offs in 2017.

Last season was a clusterf*ck of the highest order, several things you can look at and make a case that it was why we went down. Personally I'd rather forget about it and move on.

I think he was a good manager, I think the modern game might be passing him by a bit. I don't think we'll see him back personally.

Again I'm not laying the blame for where we've ended up on Pulis, I don't think anyone is really. 

He'd have been a better appointment in 2019 after Bruce f*cked off rather than Monk in hindsight. He was probably the closest thing available to Bruce at that point which is what we needed.

Agree with all the points you make.  

You raise an interesting question though about modern football.  

Sure players are more athletic in this day and age, however the fundamentals of the game remains the same.

Maybe I am looking back at what football used to be as to what it is today.  I think we are seeing a more diluted version of what football actually is, or what it was.  

I don't know,  if players ran the clock down in those days, feigned injury to slow the tempo of the game, dive with the slightest contact.  

It seems there is more drama in current modern football. 

It baffles me, even as I watch players run the clock down,, that is anti football imo

Too much theatrics, less actual football.  

I don't know, if I was an actual professional footballer, I would just want to play football, not spend half the time rolling on the floor like my leg was broken. 

Modern day players actually don't realise how good they have it.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Totally agree but what he had to work with was probably the worse set of tools he had at any club!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

Totally agree but what he had to work with was probably the worse set of tools he had at any club!

Pretty much. 

He was literally telling everyone that we needed players in the January transfer window big time, what was it an unfit Andre Green combined with trying to motivate half the team that were leaving at the end of the season.  Pure madness.  

Have you picked up any players recently? You used to tell us all about your stories of all the players you picked up in the past.  Maybe I'm going back sometime, but I miss those stories.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ronio said:

It was pretty grim from my memory.

The player ratings thing I've been compiling reckons that Huddersfield away and Forest away were the 2nd and 3rd worst performances we had that season. And none of the Pulis games make the top 10 for best performances.

Funnily enough the best game I remember under Pulis was the defeat away at Norwich where we were unlucky not to get something. Kadeem Harris should have had at least one penalty. But we still fell apart in the last 15 minutes.

• Like 3