Who'll reach the top division first?

So we play a team tomorrow who was relegated along ourselves (fizz off all those who think it's mk dons!) over 20 years ago. 

Who do we think will make it back to the top flight first? Before any of you guys start to think "we're a big club...." etc, we've spent over two decades in the 2nd and 3rd divisions. We aren't a big club. The likes of Bournemouth, Blackpool and Brentford have climbed from the 4th and passed us and that's just the b's! So give please give it some serious thought. 

If it's to be us, how? How can we make sure it's us? Having a big attendance counts for f all in the 21st century 

Just now, TheGaffer said:

So we play a team tomorrow who was relegated along ourselves (fizz off all those who think it's mk dons!) over 20 years ago. 

Who do we think will make it back to the top flight first? Before any of you guys start to think "we're a big club...." etc, we've spent over two decades in the 2nd and 3rd divisions. We aren't a big club. The likes of Bournemouth, Blackpool and Brentford have climbed from the 4th and passed us and that's just the b's! So give please give it some serious thought. 

If it's to be us, how? How can we make sure it's us? Having a big attendance counts for f all in the 21st century 

Who were relagated *

• Like 1

Just now, 31Dec1966 said:

I don't think I'll ever see Wednesday in the top division again.

I thought that in the past. I won't accept it though. What can we do? Let's have the discussion. The team we play tomorrow have climbed several divisions in the time we've floundered in two. Why is this? Fans? Unity? Let's stop with the inaction and start progressing?

With the current half wit we have as an owner/chairman this club is far more likely to spiral further downwards. The days of the heady first season when he threw money about like Viv Nicholson are long gone. We have now found our level and are going to have a hell of a struggle to tread water to maintain this level. I take no pleasure in saying this having supported them for nigh on 50 years. Its bloody sad but Ive accepted what we are - a big club amongst small clubs but a very small club among big clubs.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

I don't think I'll ever see Wednesday in the top division again.

Didn’t think England would win the Ashes again after ‘87 or a Brit would win Wimbledon, let along a British woman winning a Major tennis tourney.

But stuff happens and we will get there, one day..just have to plough on - what else can you do? 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, KcebSWFC11 said:

I said all along Adam Reach would make it easily into the WBA first team & then get dropped for being terrible at football & tonight I’ve been proved right. Thank you for proving me right 

Im still not happy Chapmans left… we’d better get a decent fee

• Haha 1

Premier League these days is like dating someone way fitter than you, you know you're gonna enjoy it for a while but in the end you know it's going become tiresome and, inevitably it'll come to a miserable end, you just don't know when. 

The last person who dated me said that. Before I binned him off back to the Championship.

I'm more than happy for Wednesday being in the Championship, great league. 

Guest Mcguigan
9 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

Big club means nothing.

As gate receipts form a smaller part of a club's income, the advantages of being a big club are lessened and may even become a disadvantage. 

Even in the Championship with the £8m or so PL solidarity payment, gate receipts form a big part of a clubs income.

In the leagues below they form a massive part of a clubs income. What else is there?

Edited by Mcguigan

A number of things need to happen before we are even in a position to think about top flight football. These are:

1. A competent owner.

2. A competent CEO.

3. A competent manager with a proven track record of success.

As these things are not going to transpire for the foreseeable future, we will just have to settle for rattling around in the 2nd & 3rd tiers.

God knows if/when we will get back.

Outside of the likes of Oldham and Swindon, we must have been outside of the PL (having been it) for one of the longest periods now, surely?

The fact we spent hundreds of millions to get even further away from it is an achievement.

Even if we do somehow get up this season, the Championship is a much better division than the one we currently occupy imo.

Edited by SiJ

Think I’d be happy to be a championship club, certainly at the moment, I remain convinced that anyone on owls talk could have kept the club up last season. Chansiri still doesn’t have a clue, and his silence is deafening currently, you begin to wonder what kind of Machiavellian scheme he is cooking up next. We can be promoted this year if we play our cards right and get Windass back into the fray pretty soon…always remain hopeful…it’s the only solution if you’re a Wednesdayite!