The great struggle 2005 - 2007

What a time to be alive.

I will say that possibly 2006/07 in that kit is my favourite season for the last 25 years.  We started appallingly under Sturrock and I would have bet my house on us going down after the thumping by Colchester.  We were skint and the players looked like League 1 players.  The run under Sean Mcauley and Laws for the rest of the season was the first time since relegation in 2000 that we looked a good team that could compete in the championship.  We played terrific attacking football at times .

Memories!

• Like 5

It's an utter abomination of a shirt, isn't it?

The stripes are too wide; the badge is in the wrong place; the sleeves are white; the sponsor look crap; and it seems to have been designed more as a wingsuit than a football shirt, using approx. twice the material actually needed, which creates billowing flaps beneath the arms and down the flanks.

And that's to say nothing of the actual material.

F*cking rank.

:duntmatter:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

What a time to be alive.

I will say that possibly 2006/07 in that kit is my favourite season for the last 25 years.  We started appallingly under Sturrock and I would have bet my house on us going down after the thumping by Colchester.  We were skint and the players looked like League 1 players.  The run under Sean Mcauley and Laws for the rest of the season was the first time since relegation in 2000 that we looked a good team that could compete in the championship.  We played terrific attacking football at times .

Memories!

Games just ran out for us.

We went on an incredible run and then came unstuck against Birmingham who went up that season.

Whelan and Brunt were on fire, along with the likes of Simek. Tudgay and Burton both contributing double figures too.

Sadly, within about 6 or so months we had lost both Brunt and Whelan.

Just now, TheEnchanter said:

Didn't we finish 9th in that and nearly got in the play offs playing scoring attacking football? 

Yeah, we were great to watch.

Went on this unbelievable streak in the last third of the season.

Think we lost 1 in 13 or something? Won pretty much every game too in that run, beat West Brom away as well.

Underrated season 06/07.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

Didn't we finish 9th in that and nearly got in the play offs playing scoring attacking football? 

We were fantastic from the moment sturrock left.

the run up to the Birmingham game, by  when sadly Everton had recalled the outstanding goalie turner , was the best football we have played this century.  We got something like 26 points from 30.  It was so good to see us compete at that level as every other season in the championship had been awful up to that one .

19 minutes ago, helmut_rooster said:

Iain Turner?

Wasn't this the Scott Carson season?

That was a likeable team managed by Brian Laws, who other than Carlos has come by far the closest to doing anything at this club in 20 odd years. 

A shame then that it should be associated with what I genuinely think might be one of the most hideous football shirts of all time, and that's just to look at it, nevermind feel the material. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Wasn't this the Scott Carson season?

That was a likeable team managed by Brian Laws, who other than Carlos has come by far the closest to doing anything at this club in 20 odd years. 

A shame then that it should be associated with what I genuinely think might be one of the most hideous football shirts of all time, and that's just to look at it, nevermind feel the material. 

Really rated Laws; he seemed to get the club, the fans, the weight of expectation and history, without letting it become a millstone around his neck.

I was gutted when we sacked him. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Really rated Laws; he seemed to get the club, the fans, the weight of expectation and history, without letting it become a millstone around his neck.

I was gutted when we sacked him. 

Yeah agreed - tbf Dave Allen did well in appointing him.

He left you scratching your head sometimes with the things he said (funnily enough I think he used milestone instead of millstone around the neck in one of his pressers), but he didn't seem to overcomplicate things.

He had defenders who just defended (Simek, Wood, Beevers, Spurr, Hills) and got the ball out wide to Johnson and Brunt. Played with the freedom of no expectation.

• Like 1