Boring England, rather watch Owls

9 hours ago, toppOwl said:

Need to get rid of Southgate, we have a great crop of players who he's going to waste if we're not careful.

We were only penalties away from winning the Euros. 
Be careful what you wish for, there’s no one better out there. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Both were defenders, both play negative football.

Wonder what would happen if we had a manager that used to be a striker.

I think one of the most exciting teams I’ve ever seen was Keegans Newcastle, which probably says it all. 

6 minutes ago, doubleo said:

I think one of the most exciting teams I’ve ever seen was Keegans Newcastle, which probably says it all. 

Of course Keegan was hopeless as an England manager.  Personally I'd rather get to tournament finals/ semi finals than get knocked out in the groups as we did under Keegan. Very entertaining losing 3-2 twice but ends up with an early flight home.

Worth also saying that the following managers who play very positive  football were defenders:

Jurgen Klopp

Pep Guardiola

Dean Smith

Thomas Tuchel

Poccetino

ETC ETC

6 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Of course Keegan was hopeless as an England manager.  Personally I'd rather get to tournament finals/ semi finals than get knocked out in the groups as we did under Keegan. Very entertaining losing 3-2 twice but ends up with an early flight home.

Worth also saying that the following managers who play very positive  football were defenders:

Jurgen Klopp

Pep Guardiola

Dean Smith

Thomas Tuchel

Poccetino

ETC ETC

Pocchettino was better than Poccetino imo

11 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Jurgen Klopp

Pep Guardiola

Dean Smith

Thomas Tuchel

Poccetino

ETC ETC

Guardiola was a defender?….

It seems that the manager is under pressure to play the likes of Foden and Mount, who despite their obvious talents tend to fail to deliver and at the cost of other players almost too good to ignore.. Part of the problem is figuring out what their roles are. Clearly neither are number 8s on last night’s viewing, and there’s better options wide or inside forward. It isn’t a coincidence that England played better in the Euros when both got dropped/injured. They need to nail down a position, or will be destined to be two more wasted drifting talents. Smith Rowe of Arsenal doesn’t get half as much smoke blown up him, yet is a guaranteed starter for Arsenal and getting games to develop into that 8 position nicely. Wouldn’t surprise me if he overtakes both to be honest.

England seem to have produced a glut of number 10s just when football has decided not to use them.

Southgate was right to revert to one DM last night, he just picked the wrong players in front of Rice.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, pussface said:

It seems that the manager is under pressure to play the likes of Foden and Mount, who despite their obvious talents tend to fail to deliver and at the cost of other players almost too good to ignore.. Part of the problem is figuring out what their roles are. Clearly neither are number 8s on last night’s viewing, and there’s better options wide or inside forward. It isn’t a coincidence that England played better in the Euros when both got dropped/injured. They need to nail down a position, or will be destined to be two more wasted drifting talents. Smith Rowe of Arsenal doesn’t get half as much smoke blown up him, yet is a guaranteed starter for Arsenal and getting games to develop into that 8 position nicely. Wouldn’t surprise me if he overtakes both to be honest.

England seem to have produced a glut of number 10s just when football has decided not to use them.

Southgate was right to revert to one DM last night, he just picked the wrong players in front of Rice.

Andorra made Foden look good, he had time and space to pass the ball around, different to better teams who tend to run him down, practically making him ineffective 

Its only 1 game where mount and foden have recently started and against an energetic side that played very well.

Foden got an assist and was 7/10, mount 6 at best imo. Mount is a decent energetic player in a top side, foden can be a top player in a top side.

He could have tweaked it to 4231 with mount slightly deeper as rice was a bit isolated at times.

His subs made it worse, he has a thing about saka but sancho was maybe a better option for sterling and not switching to his proven failed back 3/5.

If he wants 2 sitters, 4231 with foden central, but he might prefer mount for some reason despite him not looking much of a threat (0 goals, 1 assist at euros). Mobile as he is does not have the passing range or technical ability of foden imo

Cant totally ******** it up with players at his disposal, but we wont ever win anything while he sticks with favourites, bottles it with 8 defensive players against top sides and makes poor tactical choices imo

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

Andorra made Foden look good, he had time and space to pass the ball around, different to better teams who tend to run him down, practically making him ineffective 

Like Liverpool did the other week you mean?

Foden's world class.