Winter cricket - T20 World Cup & The Ashes

Adem Poric

14 hours ago, R-Sole14 said:

Cummins officially confirmed as Test captain, Smith will be vice captain.

Paine now taking a mental health break. I’d say Alex Carey will most likely come into the team now.

What are the media saying about the replacement?

Bits I’ve seen from Ponting and Warne don’t seem to favour Carey

Fans commenting on Cricket AU social media also seem divided on the replacement 

3 hours ago, yeadonowl said:

What are the media saying about the replacement?

Bits I’ve seen from Ponting and Warne don’t seem to favour Carey

Fans commenting on Cricket AU social media also seem divided on the replacement 

Media saying it’s most likely between Carey and Inglis, with Peirson considered an outside chance.

Carey has been considered the next in line for the gloves for a couple of years and he has the experience of international cricket too, which is why I think he’ll be picked over Inglis. Inglis is seen as the better gloveman out of the two though.

Personally I don’t care either way. They’re pretty much as good as each other.

51 minutes ago, R-Sole14 said:

Media saying it’s most likely between Carey and Inglis, with Peirson considered an outside chance.

Carey has been considered the next in line for the gloves for a couple of years and he has the experience of international cricket too, which is why I think he’ll be picked over Inglis. Inglis is seen as the better gloveman out of the two though.

Personally I don’t care either way. They’re pretty much as good as each other.

I’ve got a bit of family interest in this

Hoping Inglis gets the nod

Be good to see a Yorkshireman behind the stumps 

7 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

I’ve got a bit of family interest in this

Hoping Inglis gets the nod

Be good to see a Yorkshireman behind the stumps 

There are a few Yorkshireman around in Australian cricket at the moment. Matt Renshaw and Sam Whiteman who has captained WA and once was the keeper for Australia A, both being born there.

1 hour ago, R-Sole14 said:

There are a few Yorkshireman around in Australian cricket at the moment. Matt Renshaw and Sam Whiteman who has captained WA and once was the keeper for Australia A, both being born there.

Bit more of an interest for me. Inglis is my step sisters oldest, so we’ve got a big family interest hoping he gets picked

Will make the ashes a bit more exciting for us

• Like 2

On 27/11/2021 at 11:20, yeadonowl said:

Bit more of an interest for me. Inglis is my step sisters oldest, so we’ve got a big family interest hoping he gets picked

Will make the ashes a bit more exciting for us

Sorry mate, Carey has been given the gloves.

29 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

Get him a half and half scarf

"Barmy Army, Barmy Army, Oi! Oi! Oi!"

"I live in a convict colony, convict colony, convict colony"

It'll be utter chaos for him.

Apparently there have been some changes to the Kookaburra ball which will see it swing and seam for longer. Mix that with the predicted wet and humid summer along the east coast it really brings England into the contest.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/a-whole-new-ball-game-revamped-kookaburra-to-spice-up-the-ashes-20211206-p59f46.html

NZ-based Pom, excited for tomorrow and beyond. 

Expect an Oz win (I’ve put my money on 3-1) as I just don’t see England being able to score enough runs to make it a close contest. I expect to see Root and Stokes in at 20-30/3 too often to allow us to build pressure. 

However as you say R-Sole, there are enough nuances of intrigue to make it a very exciting series and add to the unpredictable picture. 2x day nighters (by the sounds of it, anyway), the weather, the lack of prep all round, a new Aussie skip, an Oz batting line up that actually has a very similar look (a couple of great players surrounded by mediocrity and fragility). 

England line up should be interesting. If Stokes can be the 4th seamer then there’s no issue with balance, but if not, it’s either Buttler up to 6 with Woakes at 7 (which is a long tail for the gabbatoir) or maybe leave out Leach and go with 4 quicks with Root with some part time spin? Either way, starts to look shaky- really hope Stokes is ready to bowl.