Alarming post-match interview

3 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

I think that Bannan will be in the 2 from now on.

When the winger played with Gregory, we were inching up the touchline, throw in to throw in, as there was no space for them to run into from deep.

The issue is that he has to lead the line. We don't find space as he's static in the middle, the defence is always in formation, ready to deal with a runner.

Look at Oxford. Once he went off, Berahino started making diagonal runs toward the left corner. The CBs went with him. Palmer had 2-3 runs into acres of space on the right as the defence was chasing Berahino.

Kamberi's goal v Rotherham. Pato was 1 on 1 for the cross in as the CB was chasing Kamberi up the left touchline. Gregory's goal Saturday. Long ball to Pato, defence stretched following Berahino's run, flick to Hunt in space.

They don't move back for Gregory as they don't need to.

I'd love for it to be working and we're all scoring. But we're not.

We've tried every combination of players in every position bar 1. When he went off v Oxford, we were noticeably better.

We haven't though.

We haven't played 4-2-3-1 with 2 natural wide attackers in any game so the system won't work effectively. 

Do you think Berahino had a better game than Gregory Vs Bolton? 

1 minute ago, Robdylan said:

No disrespect, but it seems absolutely obvious to me. 

Again, you’ve said yourself that there’s more to give. 

I would honestly play a 442. 

Some think it’s outdated, but I think it’s the best formation for the squad that we have. 

We know Bannan is an issue, but we know that we have forwards who we can rely on to score if we press teams and we get the service to them. 

We’ve scored good goals against Bolton, Oxford, Wigan and Shrewsbury, by providing great delivery.

I thought that the Wigan match was the turning point.

Gregory and Patterson caused Wigan a lot of issues. 

We’ve tried 433 and other variations, but what happens, is that even if a good cross is put into the box, the player who’s playing centrally normally has 2 defenders on him. 

I’d have a combination of Brown and Johnson on the left, and I’d let Theo off of the leash and start him on the right. Then I’d play 2 from Gregory, Patterson and Sadio.

Let’s put a variation of crosses and through balls into 2 strikers.

Let’s play attacking football and put the opposition under pressure. 

The longer we have possession and pressure them in their area, the less they’re in ours. 

I believe in the squad. 

It’s Moore that I don’t believe in. 

Again you are just giving your opinion, if it was obvious then everyone here would be calling for the same formation and team.  My opinion is to go 442 as well but not Gregory and Pattison, we need pace up front and those two don't give us that.  I would use them towards the end of the game if we were chasing the game.  

We should press more and stop defending one nil leads but go for the killer goal, of course I could be wrong its just my opinion.

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Again you are just giving your opinion, if it was obvious then everyone here would be calling for the same formation and team.  My opinion is to go 442 as well but not Gregory and Pattison, we need pace up front and those two don't give us that.  I would use them towards the end of the game if we were chasing the game.  

We should press more and stop defending one nil leads but go for the killer goal, of course I could be wrong its just my opinion.

Of course not everybody will agree with my formation. But I’m sure that most people would agree that we’re underperforming and not playing to our full capabilities. 

Who would be your front 2?

I’m still undecided on Kamberi. 

I definitely start Saido with one of the other strikers. 

5 minutes ago, Robdylan said:

Of course not everybody will agree with my formation. But I’m sure that most people would agree that we’re underperforming and not playing to our full capabilities. 

Who would be your front 2?

I’m still undecided on Kamberi. 

I definitely start Saido with one of the other strikers. 

To be honest I'm not sure but Gregory (not a big fan of his) and A N Other.  We need to get  closer to Gregory as well.  We need Windass back but would you play him in a front two?  I might be tempted and get the wingers up to him faster.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

To be honest I'm not sure but Gregory (not a big fan of his) and A N Other.  We need to get  closer to Gregory as well.  We need Windass back but would you play him in a front two?  I might be tempted and get the wingers up to him faster.  

I don’t know who I’d play when Windass comes back. 

That is a tough one. 

I guess it depends when he’s back and what’s working. 

I like Windass. 

I’ve no idea what Moore will do when he’s available again. 

22 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

We haven't though.

We haven't played 4-2-3-1 with 2 natural wide attackers in any game so the system won't work effectively. 

Do you think Berahino had a better game than Gregory Vs Bolton? 

There wasn't much difference between them, but Gregory played much better for having Berahino there. Arguably his best game.

His header and his goal, both had one to beat as the other CB was miles away tracking Berahino. Berahino should have scored when he hit the side netting, it was a good run, it's exactly what we're lacking. This is the difference between Gregory and Berahino. Gregory spent a lot of time with nobody near him in the middle, just a CB 10 yards away. Every time we had the ball there was a man or two following Berahino everywhere, as he was the threat behind.

36 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

I think that Bannan will be in the 2 from now on.

When the winger played with Gregory, we were inching up the touchline, throw in to throw in, as there was no space for them to run into from deep.

The issue is that he has to lead the line. We don't find space as he's static in the middle, the defence is always in formation, ready to deal with a runner.

Look at Oxford. Once he went off, Berahino started making diagonal runs toward the left corner. The CBs went with him. Palmer had 2-3 runs into acres of space on the right as the defence was chasing Berahino.

Kamberi's goal v Rotherham. Pato was 1 on 1 for the cross in as the CB was chasing Kamberi up the left touchline. Gregory's goal Saturday. Long ball to Pato, defence stretched following Berahino's run, flick to Hunt in space.

They don't move back for Gregory as they don't need to.

I'd love for it to be working and we're all scoring. But we're not.

We've tried every combination of players in every position bar 1. When he went off v Oxford, we were noticeably better.

And we lost 

lol

1 minute ago, Mike Hunt said:

And we lost 

lol

But we scored, and were actually dangerous going forward. Everything everyone wants, pace up the wings, crosses, early balls, we were doing. Should have had a pen, got hit on the counter.

I think we had 4 attempts in the first half. We had 4 on target in the second. Most in a half since Morcambe.

I'd rather we lost to a dodgy decision and a counter, than losing 1-0 with no attacking play.

7 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

But we scored, and were actually dangerous going forward. Everything everyone wants, pace up the wings, crosses, early balls, we were doing. Should have had a pen, got hit on the counter.

I think we had 4 attempts in the first half. We had 4 on target in the second. Most in a half since Morcambe.

I'd rather we lost to a dodgy decision and a counter, than losing 1-0 with no attacking play.

Penalty 

lol

we would have won if Gregory had stayed on with all those chances plus he would have made at least 2 

Do you live in Tewksbury Roland ?

Just now, Mike Hunt said:

Penalty 

lol

we would have won if Gregory had stayed on with all those chances plus he would have made at least 2 

Do you live in Tewksbury Roland ?

He's missed every other chance outside the six yard box, so probably not.

I actually want Gregory to smash it. I like him, he's a grafter.

I just don't think he fits the team. Great as an impact sub, like at Rotherham and Doncaster when defences are tired, or when they park the bus.

But in open play, we need pace and movement, to turn defences and make space for everyone else on the flanks and in midfield.

Spent a lot of time there years ago. 

4 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

I just don't think he fits the team. Great as an impact sub, like at Rotherham and Doncaster when defences are tired, or when they park the bus.

But in open play, we need pace and movement, to turn defences and make space for everyone else on the flanks and in midfield.

Gregory has scored 3 in 10 with a team that has created no more chances than the bottom clubs he has also has at least 2 assists  doesn’t he ? what other of our players have better stats ? 

4 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Gregory has scored 3 in 10 with a team that has created no more chances than the bottom clubs he has also has at least 2 assists  doesn’t he ? what other of our players have better stats ? 

It seems he is somehow trying to make out that we don't create chances because Gregory is an attack, completely ignoring the fact we play a wing system but leave the wingers on the bench, play a holding midfield system without a defensive midfielder and don;t play to anyone's strength.

If Gregory can manage 3 in 10 games with this then he might manage more if we put round pegs in round holes and trying to attack with pace in wide areas. 

Nobody is looking particularly good at the moment because the system, or more how the players are being deployed in that system, does not suit any of them.  

1 minute ago, Mike Hunt said:

Pato has 2 goals and an assist, and hasn't been the focal point of the attack. Played alot less too. So him.

Gregory, Pato and Kamberi all have similer goals per minute ratio  240-247 minutes per goal, even though they played mostly out of position, and have much better conversion rates.

Also doesn't include the Pizza cup or Kamberi would be better. 

My point is, nobody else was given the opportunity. Every other place is up for grabs but this one, even though he had a 7 game barren spell.

No wonder Kamberi had a face like a slapped arse when he scored last week and Pato was getting all passive aggressive in the interviews about getting a chance.

We have a big squad, which was said at the start of the season to be based on competition, with any place up for grabs. Except one.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Hmm,

this is what you said about him Saturday:

"By worked his knackers off, you mean was second to a few balls in the second half, wasn't there for 80% of the game then scored a tap in from 4 yards, then ok. Kamberi got one just the same midweek, and put a lot more effort in."

So you like him for being a grafter but belittled the work he did on Saturday.

lol

4 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Pato has 2 goals and an assist, and hasn't been the focal point of the attack. Played alot less too. So him.

Gregory, Pato and Kamberi all have similer goals per minute ratio  240-247 minutes per goal, even though they played mostly out of position, and have much better conversion rates.

Also doesn't include the Pizza cup or Kamberi would be better. 

My point is, nobody else was given the opportunity. Every other place is up for grabs but this one, even though he had a 7 game barren spell.

No wonder Kamberi had a face like a slapped arse when he scored last week and Pato was getting all passive aggressive in the interviews about getting a chance.

We have a big squad, which was said at the start of the season to be based on competition, with any place up for grabs. Except one.

Kamberi had a face like a slapped backside against Mansfield because he knew he had played like a carthorse for 90 minutes against one of the worst sides in division 4 but finally managed to tap one in,

Paterson fair enough, he probably does deserve a chance up top, if he wants it - it's not his natural position is it - when has he ever been a centre-forward? Also, one of his goals was well created for him by........Gregory.

The same problems will exist no matter who starts up front if we keep playing others out of position and don't play the formation effectively.   

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Hmm,

this is what you said about him Saturday:

"By worked his knackers off, you mean was second to a few balls in the second half, wasn't there for 80% of the game then scored a tap in from 4 yards, then ok. Kamberi got one just the same midweek, and put a lot more effort in."

So you like him for being a grafter but belittled the work he did on Saturday.

lol

He played better than usual. Still spent most of the game stood around in the middle, and he was second to a few balls. Didn't really achieve much other than the goal. Put no more effort in than Pato and Berahino.

My point was that on here Kamberi gets slated for being useless, does the same or better than Gregory, and Gregory's MoM, Kamberi gets a 5.

5 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

He played better than usual. Still spent most of the game stood around in the middle, and he was second to a few balls. Didn't really achieve much other than the goal. Put no more effort in than Pato and Berahino.

My point was that on here Kamberi gets slated for being useless, does the same or better than Gregory, and Gregory's MoM, Kamberi gets a 5.

Kamberi was absolutely shocking against Mansfield reserves one of the worst displays I have seen for years…yes years , he was pathetic and so was his attitude after he scored 

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Kamberi had a face like a slapped backside against Mansfield because he knew he had played like a carthorse for 90 minutes against one of the worst sides in division 4 but finally managed to tap one in,

Paterson fair enough, he probably does deserve a chance up top, if he wants it - it's not his natural position is it - when has he ever been a centre-forward? Also, one of his goals was well created for him by........Gregory.

The same problems will exist no matter who starts up front if we keep playing others out of position and don't play the formation effectively.   

First half, nobody could control the ball. Second half, he laid the ball to Johnson for Wing's goal and never stopped running. He was running across the pitch to show for throwins when everyone else had packed in.

Scored in the 93rd minute. We're usually on the bus by then. All playing out of position in midfield.

Got slated for his performance.

Gregory, loads bounced off him in the bolton game, had probably 4 good moments all game, then managed to tap one in.

Man of the match, best player in the league.

If it was any other position, they both would have had a shot. Kamberi's goals to minute at CF is a goal every 116 minutes in the league. He scored then got dropped 5 minutes later.

1 minute ago, Tewkesbury said:

First half, nobody could control the ball. Second half, he laid the ball to Johnson for Wing's goal and never stopped running. He was running across the pitch to show for throwins when everyone else had packed in.

Scored in the 93rd minute. We're usually on the bus by then. All playing out of position in midfield.

Got slated for his performance.

Gregory, loads bounced off him in the bolton game, had probably 4 good moments all game, then managed to tap one in.

Man of the match, best player in the league.

If it was any other position, they both would have had a shot. Kamberi's goals to minute at CF is a goal every 116 minutes in the league. He scored then got dropped 5 minutes later.

lol 

Good night sweet Prince 

go and get some sleep it must take it out of you 20 hours a day arguing on Owlstalk