Alarming post-match interview

27 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

How do you know we aren't playing to our full potential? We might be playing well above our potential and Moore needs congratulating for getting so much out of a bunch of misfits 

You can’t be serious. 

How do I know?

I’ve been to almost every match. 

We have skilful players. 

Proven players at this level and above. 

Players with pace.

Creative players. 

Yet we’ve only scored 11 goals all season. 

Play too up front and play direct football, and we can go away and beat Wigan. 

Play negative football with players playing out of position, and we struggle at home against Shrewsbury.

We have proven strikers who can score with quality service. 

They just need the service. 

8 minutes ago, Pughies Jockstrap said:

The only bit in your post I disagree with is he deserves credit for assembling a good squad. He doesn't because he hasn't.

I think he’s assembled a good squad under the circumstances. 

I’m happy with who he’s brought in. 

I think that with a different approach, we’d really be up there challenging. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Robdylan said:

You can’t be serious. 

How do I know?

I’ve been to almost every match. 

We have skilful players. 

Proven players at this level and above. 

Players with pace.

Creative players. 

Yet we’ve only scored 11 goals all season. 

Play too up front and play direct football, and we can go away and beat Wigan. 

Play negative football with players playing out of position, and we struggle at home against Shrewsbury.

We have proven strikers who can score with quality service. 

They just need the service. 

Are they proven?  Thought that's why we got them cheap.  I tend to agree with you that this team is capable of much more but think its a question of time and finding their strengths and weaknesses.

18 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

If any of our other strikers had played every game from Rotherham to Bolton without scoring, you'd be saying they couldn't play up front and get them replaced.

Kamberi has scored 2 in that time, Pato has, and Adeniran, despite them playing on the wings or midfield.

We had to change our system to accommodate him as he's useless unless someone is 5 yards from him.

No I would be saying we have got a good striker get balls into the right areas for him , which we are not doing , it’s not like we are missing chance after chance , the service has not been there , I can remember keepers making good saves from Gregory that he has had to make himself also he is probably not far off the assists stats 

3 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Are they proven?  Thought that's why we got them cheap.  I tend to agree with you that this team is capable of much more but think its a question of time and finding their strengths and weaknesses.

Yes, a number of them are proven. 

Are you playing devil’s advocate?

What is your genuine stance?

You’ve just agreed that they’re capable of much more, yet at the same time, you’ve asked:

“How do you know that they’re not playing to their full potential?”

Which it is?

It’s going to be hard to find their strengths and weaknesses, (the right balance) when he’s forever chopping and changing things, where the players can’t develop any relationships with each other. 

It must be as frustrating to them as what it is to me and many others. 

4 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

No I would be saying we have got a good striker get balls into the right areas for him , which we are not doing , it’s not like we are missing chance after chance , the service has not been there , I can remember keepers making good saves from Gregory that he has had to make himself also he is probably not far off the assists stats 

Hes missed 17 chances in the box. He's scored 2 rebounds and a tap in.

He was a good striker 3 years ago. He's 33 now. The line most said by the commentators is "Gregory almost got to it"

He's had more service than any other player, but 3 players had scored the same amount of goals than him to Saturday.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tewkesbury said:

Hes missed 17 chances in the box. He's scored 2 rebounds and a tap in.

He was a good striker 3 years ago. He's 33 now. The line most said by the commentators is "Gregory almost got to it"

He's had more service than any other player, but 3 players had scored the same amount of goals than him to Saturday.

The commentator comment you made up didn’t you Roland? 

1 minute ago, Robdylan said:

Yes, a number of them are proven. 

Are you playing devil’s advocate?

What is your genuine stance?

You’ve just agreed that they’re capable of much more, yet at the same time, you’ve asked:

“How do you know that they’re not playing to their full potential?”

Which it is?

It’s going to be hard to find their strengths and weaknesses, (the right balance) when he’s forever chopping and changing things, where the players can’t develop any relationships with each other. 

It must be as frustrating to them as what it is to me and many others. 

I just find it odd that people claim to know something when it can only be an opinion at best.

What do you think our strongest team is and what formation would you play?

1 hour ago, Tewkesbury said:

It needs brains and brawn. Bannan can be the brain, he reads the game, still makes a few tackles and knows where the danger is. He can be the holder, has everything but height. Just needed the discipline, but showed v Bolton he has that too, now.

Just needs Brawn alongside him. Adeniran, FDB, Hutch, Luongo.(Hutch and Luongo can do both, but are made of Weetabix, so can't be relied on long term) Any of these will work. Wing has been filling in for the last 3-4 games. Someone to challenge for the second balls from our defence and cover gaps. Freeing up the forwards from defensive duties.

They then get the ball, move forward if possible, if not hold it till a runner goes. Unfortunately we've sacked the runners, so we don't advance.

Look at Plymouth. As soon as their DM gets near the ball, the striker is off. So do Rotherham. And Sunderland. And they hit them. V Plymouth, every clearance we made came straight back over the defence.

Our striker wombles around the centre circle 5 yards inside their CBs like Uncle Bulgaria looking for today's Telegraph. So we tap it about or inch up the sidelines foot by foot.

Agree with you.

Not so much on Gregory, he would be more effective if we used wide attackers properly in a 4-2-3-1. 

19 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Agree with you.

Not so much on Gregory, he would be more effective if we used wide attackers properly in a 4-2-3-1. 

We tried him with wide attackers. Didn't work.

That's why Pato and now Berahino are playing next to him.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

We tried him with wide attackers. Didn't work.

That's why Pato and now Berahino are playing next to him.

Did we?

How many times have we played Shodipo or Corbeanu or Johnson as wide attackers in a 4-2-3-1? Don't count when Brown has played there, that's just playing someone out of position. just like he does with Berahino.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Did we?

How many times have we played Shodipo or Corbeanu or Johnson as wide attackers in a 4-2-3-1? Don't count when Brown has played there, that's just playing someone out of position. just like he does with Berahino.

Facts don’t count 

it’s all Gregory’s fault 

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Did we?

Seeing as he's played every game, every time they've played.

Seeing as he's played every game, every time they've played.

And how many have Corbeanu and Shodipo started?

When we lost at Plymouth we started with Byers and Wing as the holding 2, no wonder they got through us easily. 

If you want the striker to be consistently effective in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 then play natural wingers/wide forwards, not left backs or second strikers. 

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

And how many have Corbeanu and Shodipo started?

When we lost at Plymouth we started with Byers and Wing as the holding 2, no wonder they got through us easily. 

If you want the striker to be consistently effective in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 then play natural wingers/wide forwards, not left backs or second strikers. 

I agree with that, they've both been mainly subs. But it didn't work with Gregory.

He didn't even get a shot off v Plymouth.

All of the posts on here were "He's isolated" "We need another striker with him in a 2"

We could be playing Shodipo and Corbineau. Instead we're playing 2 other strikers. If he was good, why do we need 2 more?

He can't lead the line on his own. Pace wins in this league. We're having to double and treble up his position because he can't do it alone.

I’ve kept quiet as I really really wanted Moore to work, but it’s quite clear to me he’s winging it IMO.

We always seem to end up with managers with plan As (in varying degrees of fortitude) who have little to no answer when inevitably, plan A gets worked out or the Target man gets injured.

I was never convinced Moore even had a plan A. 

It’s never a good sign when the manager resorts to throwing around the brown stuff to see what sticks, especially a quarter of the way into a season.

I really fear he isn’t the answer, yet I dread his replacement more. The main issue still sits in the boardroom. Blinkered, stubborn and going nowhere anytime soon.

I agree with that, they've both been mainly subs. But it didn't work with Gregory.

He didn't even get a shot off v Plymouth.

All of the posts on here were "He's isolated" "We need another striker with him in a 2"

We could be playing Shodipo and Corbineau. Instead we're playing 2 other strikers. If he was good, why do we need 2 more?

He can't lead the line on his own. Pace wins in this league. We're having to double and treble up his position because he can't do it alone.

Why not give him a chance with actual pace on either side of him?

We haven't played a front 3 with players in their natural positions once so it is difficult to judge. 

He has 3 goals in 10 league games, not all of them starts so hardly a disaster. He might do better if we had wide players making the right runs and receiving the ball in the right areas to be effective in that formation rather than Berahino, Brown, Paterson, even Bannan against Oxford FFS!

Not once have we played 4-2-3-1 with 2 natural wide attacking players and a proper holding player in the 2.   

49 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I just find it odd that people claim to know something when it can only be an opinion at best.

What do you think our strongest team is and what formation would you play?

No disrespect, but it seems absolutely obvious to me. 

Again, you’ve said yourself that there’s more to give. 

I would honestly play a 442. 

Some think it’s outdated, but I think it’s the best formation for the squad that we have. 

We know Bannan is an issue, but we know that we have forwards who we can rely on to score if we press teams and we get the service to them. 

We’ve scored good goals against Bolton, Oxford, Wigan and Shrewsbury, by providing great delivery.

I thought that the Wigan match was the turning point.

Gregory and Patterson caused Wigan a lot of issues. 

We’ve tried 433 and other variations, but what happens, is that even if a good cross is put into the box, the player who’s playing centrally normally has 2 defenders on him. 

I’d have a combination of Brown and Johnson on the left, and I’d let Theo off of the leash and start him on the right. Then I’d play 2 from Gregory, Patterson and Sadio.

Let’s put a variation of crosses and through balls into 2 strikers.

Let’s play attacking football and put the opposition under pressure. 

The longer we have possession and pressure them in their area, the less they’re in ours. 

I believe in the squad. 

It’s Moore that I don’t believe in. 

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Why not give him a chance with actual pace on either side of him?

We haven't played a front 3 with players in their natural positions once so it is difficult to judge. 

He has 3 goals in 10 league games, not all of them starts so hardly a disaster. He might do better if we had wide players making the right runs and receiving the ball in the right areas to be effective in that formation rather than Berahino, Brown, Paterson, even Bannan against Oxford FFS!

Not once have we played 4-2-3-1 with 2 natural wide attacking players and a proper holding player in the 2.   

I think that Bannan will be in the 2 from now on.

When the winger played with Gregory, we were inching up the touchline, throw in to throw in, as there was no space for them to run into from deep.

The issue is that he has to lead the line. We don't find space as he's static in the middle, the defence is always in formation, ready to deal with a runner.

Look at Oxford. Once he went off, Berahino started making diagonal runs toward the left corner. The CBs went with him. Palmer had 2-3 runs into acres of space on the right as the defence was chasing Berahino.

Kamberi's goal v Rotherham. Pato was 1 on 1 for the cross in as the CB was chasing Kamberi up the left touchline. Gregory's goal Saturday. Long ball to Pato, defence stretched following Berahino's run, flick to Hunt in space.

They don't move back for Gregory as they don't need to.

I'd love for it to be working and we're all scoring. But we're not.

We've tried every combination of players in every position bar 1. When he went off v Oxford, we were noticeably better.