Alarming post-match interview

14 hours ago, Everywhere & nowhere said:

So you weren’t actually happy to give him time?

Like I’ve said, I was happy to give him time until I heard his post-match comments. 

I thought that he was still trying to find his best 11.

I thought that the team were still waiting to gel.

Many fans have been hoping for the point where things just suddenly click into place, where we can then raise our game to the next level. 

I was optimistic. But his comments have just killed that optimism. 

He hasn’t been making these odd decisions because he’s trying to find his feet. He’s literally told us all that these decisions have been purposely made. And he’s told us that he’ll keep on making them.

To me, that’s very worrying.

No competent manager makes the bizarre decisions that he’s been making.

He’s assembled a very good squad, but IMHO, he’s out of his depth tactically.

We’ve only scored 11 goals all season. 

If he keeps chopping and changing things, then I think that we’ll continue to underperform. 

10 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Where did you expect us to be at this stage of the season?

It’s not the position. 

It’s the lack of cohesion. 

We haven’t gelled. 

We can’t, due to his decision making. 

After 11 games, he’s got us in a decent position. I’m happy with the position. But it’s worrying that we’re not playing to our full capabilities and he’s playing players out of position and chopping and changing the team every week. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Robdylan said:

It’s not the position. 

We haven’t gelled. 

After 11 games, he’s got us in a decent position. I’m happy with the position. But it’s worrying that we’re not playing to our full capabilities and he’s playing players out of position and chopping and changing the team every week. 

Agree with this - - position is flattering when looking at performances. 

Oxford first half was worst performance I can remember in terms of team cohesion. We are getting worse not better and team look clueless. 

11 games in I expected a lot more. There isn't even a direction or clear idea forming as to how or what we are trying to do. 

We have been holding on at the end on most wins. Bolton, Wigan, Fleetwood(after promising first half). Why can't we kill a game off?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mcmigo said:

If we had not practiced that new formation we might have not kept a clean sheet and won. So it was a great call by DM. 

words are being twisted and taken out of context now to abuse the manager it is very sad to see.  

I’m not wanting to abuse the manager.

I’m just questioning some of his decisions. 

I’m looking at the bigger picture, not just one match. 

Yes, we won on Saturday. But Bolton missed a lot of good chances, and they were over elaborate at times. We were hanging on at the end. Our formation with wingbacks stifled our forwards. I went. I saw it. 

The point I initially made, was that he shouldn’t be backing himself into a corner where he only has 48 hours to try a new formation. That’s absolutely ridiculous. 

We also won the game after switching back to a back 4. So it wasn’t some master plan. And who knows what would have happened if he hadn’t have done that.

I don’t want people to come on here and abuse him.

I don’t like people mocking his speech etc. 

That’s not good. But there’s nothing wrong with questioning his tactics and asking why he’s chopping and changing things match by match, where players are being played out of position etc. 

I’m sure that we can all debate this in a civilised manner. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 0742 said:

He has a split second to answer a question during an interview. 

I do think it's time we stopped micro analysing his responses to find fault though. 

I just don't think he interviews very well nor does he seem overly prepared for the post match interviews. Compare this to the pre match ones where he's far more considered with his answers.

I’m not questioning how he carries himself. Only his decision making. 

Paul Warne is great at being interviewed. 

He’s articulate and comfortable. 

Darren Moore’s not like that, and that’s fine. 

I don’t want to see people mocking how he speaks etc. 

I made this thread simply because I think he’s messing around with the team too much, which he sees as a positive. 

I don’t care about his media skills.

All I care about is that we’ve only scored 11 goals, we don’t look like a cohesive unit, and he’s playing back up CM’s like Dele on the wing, whilst he’s got a talented winger just sat there on the bench. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Robdylan said:

. We were hanging on at the end.

That's usually true even if playing good football, a 1-0 lead is always dodgy going into the last 15 mins or so. However we weren't hanging on really,  we ..for some reason looked fairly comfortable last 15 mins..Bolton did a Wednesday, no matter what the bolton manager said.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

That's usually true even if playing good football, a 1-0 lead is always dodgy going into the last 15 mins or so. However we weren't hanging on really,  we ..for some reason looked fairly comfortable last 15 mins..Bolton did a Wednesday, no matter what the bolton manager said.

They had a lot of possession at the end. They put us under a lot of pressure. It wasn’t a comfortable win, and we played poorly for prolonged periods. Of course, we have to be happy with the points we picked up, especially as Bolton are a good side who have been scoring of late. But at the same time, the team doesn’t look as though it’s improving. 

Like others have mentioned, it sometimes appears as though we’re going backwards. 

With each week that goes by, you want to see players forming relationships with each other etc. 

Yet, many of them still look confused and aren’t playing to their full capabilities. 

A win can’t gloss over that for me. 

A great result on paper, but another concerning performance. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Robdylan said:

A great result on paper, but another concerning performance. 

Agreed..but

Can't agree about the last 15...they were very Wednesdayish. Thought it was probably our best period throughout the game. Possession means nothing even in many top class games.

Though they are undoubtedly better than us at tip tappie..and it got them nothing.

What I don't get is why the changes.

We brought in players to fit a 4231.

We bought a shedload of quick wide forwards to play this.

We've gone all season playing Bannan and Wing out of position at DM to fit into the 4231, even got Bannan to stay back the whole game v Bolton, which I didn't think he had the discipline for. To fit the 4231 system.

We've probably wrecked Hutch playing him at DM to fit the system.

But up front we have given up, we have Gregory up front, who's not been performing or scoring, as he can't play alone and isn't mobile enough to play the system.

But instead of playing one of the other 2 strikers who had the same goal tally and can play the system with a couple of our 80085 wingers, DM has doubled down and played 2 more strikers next to him?

He's completely thrown the recruitment, and all the pain of playing players out of position to learn the formation, for one player, who up till he scored on Saturday was our 4th best goalscorer by minutes per goal. Behind Adeniran.

Why is Bannan, supposedly our best player, playing at DM, but we're changing the entire attack to focus on our worst striker? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

What I don't get is why the changes.

We brought in players to fit a 4231.

We bought a shedload of quick wide forwards to play this.

We've gone all season playing Bannan and Wing out of position at DM to fit into the 4231, even got Bannan to stay back the whole game v Bolton, which I didn't think he had the discipline for. To fit the 4231 system.

We've probably wrecked Hutch playing him at DM to fit the system.

But up front we have given up, we have Gregory up front, who's not been performing or scoring, as he can't play alone and isn't mobile enough to play the system.

But instead of playing one of the other 2 strikers who had the same goal tally and can play the system with a couple of our 80085 wingers, DM has doubled down and played 2 more strikers next to him?

He's completely thrown the recruitment, and all the pain of playing players out of position to learn the formation, for one player, who up till he scored on Saturday was our 4th best goalscorer by minutes per goal. Behind Adeniran.

Why is Bannan, supposedly our best player, playing at DM, but we're changing the entire attack to focus on our worst striker? 

I don't mind Bannan playing as one of the 2 in a 4-2-3-1, he doesn't have the consistent goal threat to play as the advanced midfielder all the time, Paterson or Adeniran will easily score more from getting into the box in that role.

Bannan could play the advanced midfield role sometimes, if the 2 wingers are proper wingers who will support the forward and get into scoring positions as well rather than shoe-horning Berahino into a wide-midfield role.

He can play deep lying and create as long as he has the movement ahead of him and a proper holding midfielder next to him, Dele-Bashiru, Hutchinson or Luongo should all be capable.

It doesn't work when Wing/Adeniran play deep with him, it doesn't work with Bannan wide-right like against Oxford and it doesn't work when we play whatever formation that was meant to be first half against Bolton.   

There is no point playing 4-2-3-1 with or without Bannan if at least one of the deep lying 2 isn't primarily a tackler/holder. None of Wing, Bannan, Adeniran, Byers are that type of player so it doesn't work.  

8 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I don't mind Bannan playing as one of the 2 in a 4-2-3-1, he doesn't have the consistent goal threat to play as the advanced midfielder all the time, Paterson or Adeniran will easily score more from getting into the box in that role.

Bannan could play the advanced midfield role sometimes, if the 2 wingers are proper wingers who will support the forward and get into scoring positions as well rather than shoe-horning Berahino into a wide-midfield role.

He can play deep lying and create as long as he has the movement ahead of him and a proper holding midfielder next to him, Dele-Bashiru, Hutchinson or Luongo should all be capable.

It doesn't work when Wing/Adeniran play deep with him, it doesn't work with Bannan wide-right like against Oxford and it doesn't work when we play whatever formation that was meant to be first half against Bolton.   

There is no point playing 4-2-3-1 with or without Bannan if at least one of the deep lying 2 isn't primarily a tackler/holder. None of Wing, Bannan, Adeniran, Byers are that type of player so it doesn't work.  

It needs brains and brawn. Bannan can be the brain, he reads the game, still makes a few tackles and knows where the danger is. He can be the holder, has everything but height. Just needed the discipline, but showed v Bolton he has that too, now.

Just needs Brawn alongside him. Adeniran, FDB, Hutch, Luongo.(Hutch and Luongo can do both, but are made of Weetabix, so can't be relied on long term) Any of these will work. Wing has been filling in for the last 3-4 games. Someone to challenge for the second balls from our defence and cover gaps. Freeing up the forwards from defensive duties.

They then get the ball, move forward if possible, if not hold it till a runner goes. Unfortunately we've sacked the runners, so we don't advance.

Look at Plymouth. As soon as their DM gets near the ball, the striker is off. So do Rotherham. And Sunderland. And they hit them. V Plymouth, every clearance we made came straight back over the defence.

Our striker wombles around the centre circle 5 yards inside their CBs like Uncle Bulgaria looking for today's Telegraph. So we tap it about or inch up the sidelines foot by foot.

1 hour ago, Robdylan said:

I’m not questioning how he carries himself. Only his decision making. 

Paul Warne is great at being interviewed. 

He’s articulate and comfortable. 

Darren Moore’s not like that, and that’s fine. 

I don’t want to see people mocking how he speaks etc. 

I made this thread simply because I think he’s messing around with the team too much, which he sees as a positive. 

I don’t care about his media skills.

All I care about is that we’ve only scored 11 goals, we don’t look like a cohesive unit, and he’s playing back up CM’s like Dele on the wing, whilst he’s got a talented winger just sat there on the bench. 

So why are you starting threads saying you're alarmed at his post match interviews then. 

55 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Agreed..but

Can't agree about the last 15...they were very Wednesdayish. Thought it was probably our best period throughout the game. Possession means nothing even in many top class games.

Though they are undoubtedly better than us at tip tappie..and it got them nothing.

I respect your opinion, but I was worried that we were going to concede. They had corners and were all around our box. Wildsmith made a good punch. Yes, we coped well with the pressure. We defended really well. They deserve credit for that. Like others have mentioned, Bolton seemed to want to walk it in at times. They were a bit over elaborate. But to me, we were hanging on. 

23 hours ago, Robdylan said:

I think that Darren’s post-match interview yesterday was very worrying.

Like many others, I’ve been patient with him. I’ve even defended him to work colleagues and friends etc who have criticised him. I thought that we still had teething problems, and that eventually his side would click/gel into place.

Well not anymore. 

His comments yesterday have told me that this side won’t click into gear to reach their true potential.

How can it?

How on earth can the team find any consistency and click into place, when he’s changing the line up, formation and tactics for every game?

We’ve had 3 different formations in less than 2 weeks. 

We see players play who then suddenly disappear from the squad. 

He said yesterday that he only had 48 hours to try and set up Saturday’s tactics. And he said it in a way where we were supposed to be impressed. 

My questions to him would be:

1. Why did you only give yourself 48 hours? 

2. Why hasn’t it been put into practice before?

3. Why on earth would you have played that formation anyway, considering that we don’t have the players to play it?

Yesterday was like going back to 2010-2011 and watching Alan Irvine’s team. 

There’s no shape to the team, the players look confused and frustrated. I’ve seen them criticising each other over the past 4/5 matches. 

This doesn’t bode well for the future. 

Nobody on here has a clue what team he’s going to play and what formation he’s going to use for the next match. 

The 3 points were obviously a great plus yesterday, but we’re still not creating enough chances and scoring enough goals. 

I understand that we have a big squad and that teams rotate players. But constantly changing the line ups and the formation to try and nullify the opposition isn’t going to help us in the long run. 

Any sympathy that I had for Moore is now truly gone. 

Again, this is not a knee jerk reaction. I understand that we’re in a tough league. But if he thinks that a back 5 is the way to go on 48 hours notice, then I don’t want him as our manager. 

He’s assembled a good squad and he deserves credit for that. He also seems genuine and a decent guy. But he simply cannot manage this team in a way that will see them playing to their full capabilities. 

For me, he can definitely go now. And yes, I’m sick of the manager merry go round at the club. We all are. But this guy isn’t going to work out for us long term.

I just don’t see the point in keeping him when he’s happy with how we’ve been playing. It’s okay trying to be optimistic,  but he’s just told all of us that he thinks that his actions are justified and that he’s going to continue to manage in the same vain. 

I thought that these bizarre tactics where he plays players out of position etc, were him finding his feet. But to hear that he’s purposely been doing this because he thinks it’s a good idea, is alarming. And I don’t think that using the word ‘alarming’ is an exaggeration.

I think that we’ve got a long and frustrating season ahead of us. 

Nailed it, Rob mate  except for 'he's assembled a squad ' IMO he failed to strengthen our midfield creativity / pace and we still need a centre forward 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 0742 said:

So why are you starting threads saying you're alarmed at his post match interviews then. 

You’ve only highlighted a single line from a paragraph.

There’s a number of things that I’m concerned about which I’ve noted. And all of my concerns are directly related to the comments that he made in his post-match interview. 

2 hours ago, Robdylan said:

It’s not the position. 

We haven’t gelled. 

How do you know we aren't playing to our full potential? We might be playing well above our potential and Moore needs congratulating for getting so much out of a bunch of misfits 

54 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

It needs brains and brawn. Bannan can be the brain, he reads the game, still makes a few tackles and knows where the danger is. He can be the holder, has everything but height. Just needed the discipline, but showed v Bolton he has that too, now.

Just needs Brawn alongside him. Adeniran, FDB, Hutch, Luongo.(Hutch and Luongo can do both, but are made of Weetabix, so can't be relied on long term) Any of these will work. Wing has been filling in for the last 3-4 games. Someone to challenge for the second balls from our defence and cover gaps. Freeing up the forwards from defensive duties.

They then get the ball, move forward if possible, if not hold it till a runner goes. Unfortunately we've sacked the runners, so we don't advance.

Look at Plymouth. As soon as their DM gets near the ball, the striker is off. So do Rotherham. And Sunderland. And they hit them. V Plymouth, every clearance we made came straight back over the defence.

Our striker wombles around the centre circle 5 yards inside their CBs like Uncle Bulgaria looking for today's Telegraph. So we tap it about or inch up the sidelines foot by foot.

What are you babbling on about Gregory for not being able to play up front and he was a panic buy ??

You don’t half talk some guff Roland 

6 minutes ago, steelowl said:

Nailed it, Rob mate  except for 'he's assembled a squad ' IMO he failed to strengthen our midfield creativity / pace and we still need a centre forward 

In a perfect world, we’d have a better squad. But IMHO, we have a squad that is capable of promotion. I genuinely believe that. So I do give him credit for that. 

I just want to see us playing direct football, with 2 forwards playing every week. If you look at the goals scored against Bolton and Shrewsbury, there’s no reason why we can’t replicate those by playing attacking football, with 2 wingers putting quality crosses in.

Although it could be better, he’s got the resources.

He’s just too negative. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

What are you babbling on about Gregory for not being able to play up front and he was a panic buy ??

You don’t half talk some guff Roland 

If any of our other strikers had played every game from Rotherham to Bolton without scoring, you'd be saying they couldn't play up front and get them replaced.

Kamberi has scored 2 in that time, Pato has, and Adeniran, despite them playing on the wings or midfield.

We had to change our system to accommodate him as he's useless unless someone is 5 yards from him.

• Haha 1