Alarming post-match interview

1 hour ago, dfoster said:

Lots to respond to there and not really much point but in relation to the 48hrs .... we played tues and weds will have been recovery so that leaves thurs and Friday. 

Also, we clearly do have the players to play 3 at back and in particular Hunt, Brown and Johnson are all good at wingback. Gibson and Palmer comfortable CBs in a back 3 and it will also suit Hutch to drop back into as he his legs have gone 

The point is, he should already have practiced this formation in various training sessions throughout the last 3 months, if he intended to use it at some point. 

I personally don’t think we can play with wing backs, as it looks disjointed in the final third, where the forwards are starved of decent service. Also, although Hunt produced a great cross for the goal, you couldn’t depend on him to supply a consistent level of quality crosses. Some of his crosses have been very poor this season. Palmer’s have too overall. Johnson can whip in a great cross, but I can’t recall where Brown’s producing any. So I don’t think that it’s a formation that will bring much success. We looked very poor in the first half yesterday. 

His logic doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

He seemingly wants to develop a side based on passing, possession and keeping it on the deck...and yet he seems to think the best way of implementing his "philosophy" is by constantly changing personnel, formations etc?!?! 

How are on earth are we meant to develop a style of play if he keeps changing everything? 

The best bit is we scored yesterday from a punt, flick on and cross.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tewkesbury said:

As I said, it's not worked as intended. The back 4 and the 2 DM have stayed every game, the front 4 have had to change as Gregory can't play in this formation. So he's tried to make it wprk around him.

So instead of wide men and space, we've played Berahino, Paterson, Shodipo, all close to him. No wingers, all inside forwards.

And hardly scored.

If Gregory can’t play in this formation then why the f*** did we sign him. We appear to be unbelievably ill suited to 4321 so if that is what DM wants then we will get nowhere fast

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

His logic doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

He seemingly wants to develop a side based on passing, possession and keeping it on the deck...and yet he seems to think the best way of implementing his "philosophy" is by constantly changing personnel, formations etc?!?! 

How are on earth are we meant to develop a style of play if he keeps changing everything? 

The best bit is we scored yesterday from a punt, flick on and cross.

Correct. 

The players aren’t able to form relationships with each other as he’s constantly changing things around. 

Marvin Johnson has played at LB, on the left of a front 3, and also as a RB for the second half against Mansfield. 

Three different positions in just a few months. 

None of us have any idea who’s going to be playing at the weekend. 

I was brought up watching King and Worthington. 

Any potentially good relationship like Brown and Johnson on the left can’t even get off the ground. Because they’re playing in different positions in an ever changing side. 

I think that Moore is tactically inept. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

you’ve just moved the goal posts!!

making changes and managing the team is part and parcel of his job but he’s making changes game after game, which is having a detrimental affect on performances and no doubt several players. 

playing a settler side for 5/6/7 games would benefit us massively. Not sure anyone can argue any differently. 

I hope Big Dave doesn’t read this thread:-

If he does, moving the goalposts will be his next tactical master plan 😉

Edited by Truth is out there
Punctuation

21 minutes ago, Robdylan said:

Correct. 

The players aren’t able to form relationships with each other as he’s constantly changing things around. 

Marvin Johnson has played at LB, on the left of a front 3, and also as a RB for the second half against Mansfield. 

Three different positions in just a few months. 

None of us have any idea who’s going to be playing at the weekend. 

I was brought up watching King and Worthington. 

Any potentially good relationship like Brown and Johnson on the left can’t even get off the ground. Because they’re playing in different positions in an ever changing side. 

I think that Moore is tactically inept. 

Ironically with 3 at the back yesterday you would have thought Johnson would have been perfect for a wing back role but didn’t even make the bench 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Can’t argue with any of that OP.

I really do admire those that say Moore should get a whole season, but the signs are worrying at this stage about whether we are backing the wrong horse.  

The only encouraging thing about his management seems to be his recruitment.....

On what basis can you define his “recruitment” as “encouraging” ? 

I was concerned by DM’s interview because it didn’t make too much sense, particularly the reason for the half time subs but I take the view that he is trying to create an adaptable squad that he wants to be able to use in different systems with any players he has available, to exploit the weaknesses he sees in the opposition. I’ve no issue with that, given the reasonable position we are in and think he should have the time for the work he wants to do with the squad to pay dividends. As fans, ideally we’d get behind the project rather than insulting the bloke.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Devonstrix said:

Yeah, but there is method in DM’s madness. If he hasn’t got a flucking clue how we’re gonna play, neither does the opposition. Genius, Pepesque stuff. 

Promotion here we come

But we're always playing from the back... 

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Everywhere & nowhere said:

I was concerned by DM’s interview because it didn’t make too much sense, particularly the reason for the half time subs but I take the view that he is trying to create an adaptable squad that he wants to be able to use in different systems with any players he has available, to exploit the weaknesses he sees in the opposition. I’ve no issue with that, given the reasonable position we are in and think he should have the time for the work he wants to do with the squad to pay dividends. As fans, ideally we’d get behind the project rather than insulting the bloke.

The problem is, he’s making us weaker in the process. 

5 hours ago, Robdylan said:

I think that Darren’s post-match interview yesterday was very worrying.

Like many others, I’ve been patient with him. I’ve even defended him to work colleagues and friends etc who have criticised him. I thought that we still had teething problems, and that eventually his side would click/gel into place.

Well not anymore. 

His comments yesterday have told me that this side won’t click into gear to reach their true potential.

How can it?

How on earth can the team find any consistency and click into place, when he’s changing the line up, formation and tactics for every game?

We’ve had 3 different formations in less than 2 weeks. 

We see players play who then suddenly disappear from the squad. 

He said yesterday that he only had 48 hours to try and set up Saturday’s tactics. And he said it in a way where we were supposed to be impressed. 

My questions to him would be:

1. Why did you only give yourself 48 hours? 

2. Why hasn’t it been put into practice before?

3. Why on earth would you have played that formation anyway, considering that we don’t have the players to play it?

Yesterday was like going back to 2010-2011 and watching Alan Irvine’s team. 

There’s no shape to the team, the players look confused and frustrated. I’ve seen them criticising each other over the past 4/5 matches. 

This doesn’t bode well for the future. 

Nobody on here has a clue what team he’s going to play and what formation he’s going to use for the next match. 

The 3 points were obviously a great plus yesterday, but we’re still not creating enough chances and scoring enough goals. 

I understand that we have a big squad and that teams rotate players. But constantly changing the line ups and the formation to try and nullify the opposition isn’t going to help us in the long run. 

Any sympathy that I had for Moore is now truly gone. 

Again, this is not a knee jerk reaction. I understand that we’re in a tough league. But if he thinks that a back 5 is the way to go on 48 hours notice, then I don’t want him as our manager. 

He’s assembled a good squad and he deserves credit for that. He also seems genuine and a decent guy. But he simply cannot manage this team in a way that will see them playing to their full capabilities. 

For me, he can definitely go now. And yes, I’m sick of the manager merry go round at the club. We all are. But this guy isn’t going to work out for us long term.

I just don’t see the point in keeping him when he’s happy with how we’ve been playing. It’s okay trying to be optimistic,  but he’s just told all of us that he thinks that his actions are justified and that he’s going to continue to manage in the same vain. 

I thought that these bizarre tactics where he plays players out of position etc, were him finding his feet. But to hear that he’s purposely been doing this because he thinks it’s a good idea, is alarming. And I don’t think that using the word ‘alarming’ is an exaggeration.

I think that we’ve got a long and frustrating season ahead of us. 

Well said m8. You laid it out perfectly on his team tactics and constantly chop and changing players. Watching that game on Saturday really saddens me.  There was a Bolton player free on the wing and we had 4/5 of our players chasing the ball near the middle of the ground. You are right in saying that the team are confused due to these many tactic and player changes. It goes to say that I will save my money in future and stop watching them if this crap continues. Cheers!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, doubled123456 said:

Well said m8. You laid it out perfectly on his team tactics and constantly chop and changing players. Watching that game on Saturday really saddens me.  There was a Bolton player free on the wing and we had 4/5 of our players chasing the ball near the middle of the ground. You are right in saying that the team are confused due to these many tactic and player changes. It goes to say that I will save my money in future and stop watching them if this crap continues. Cheers!

We won 1-0

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Everywhere & nowhere said:

Weakening us how - we’ve got 18 points from 11. We could quite easily have another win that would have us on nearly 2 points per game. Isn’t the point that we will probably get better if he has time?

Because we’re not creating enough chances and scoring enough goals.

Concentrating too much on the opposition is stifling our own play. 

How’s the team going to gel when he changes it every week?

It’s not going to get better with time, as he’s told us all that he’s going to continue to manage us in the same vain. 

No shape, players in and out, different formations, players playing out position, players criticising each other etc.

Struggling to break down Shrewsbury and playing CM’s wide, with creative wingers on the bench, isn’t going to see challenging for the autos. And I do believe that this squad is capable of that. The assembly of the squad is one thing that I do give him credit for. 

Ask yourself if you want to be in the play offs with Moore in charge?

I don’t. 

Coming out with garbage like he’s only had 48 hours to implement a new system?

4 minutes ago, Robdylan said:

Because we’re not creating enough chances and scoring enough goals.

Concentrating too much on the opposition is stifling our own play. 

How’s the team going to gel when he changes it every week?

It’s not going to get better with time, as he’s told us all that he’s going to continue to manage us in the same vain. 

No shape, players in and out, different formations, players playing out position, players criticising each other etc.

Struggling to break down Shrewsbury and playing CM’s wide, with creative wingers on the bench, isn’t going to see challenging for the autos. And I do believe that this squad is capable of that. The assembly of the squad is one thing that I do give him credit for. 

Ask yourself if you want to be in the play offs with Moore in charge?

I don’t. 

Coming out with garbage like he’s only had 48 hours to implement a new system?

I think you’re overthinking it too much - we’re doing ok - give it time & enjoy the ride, it isn’t too bad 👍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Everywhere & nowhere said:

We won 1-0

I don't think we've been sucked into some kind of negativity vortex. I'll take the 3 points but to say a wins a win and ignore whats actually happening on the pitch isn't a sustainable position for either fans, the manager or the club. In my case, I can't actually ever recall having this feeling of winning but being unable to extract any enjoyment from that fact.

I'm completely able to set the results aside in the knowledge that we really do need to build something meaningful and sustainable, the manager ticks so many boxes to that end. However he's shown us nothing so far in the one area that really can't be ignored, he's essentially a tactical blackhole...... At the moment I'd be happy with any result so long as I could see some tactical progression, partnerships developing, patterns of play emerging. I don't need us to be entertainers, I just need us to look like we know what we are doing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1