Alarming post-match interview

Can’t argue with any of that OP.

I really do admire those that say Moore should get a whole season, but the signs are worrying at this stage about whether we are backing the wrong horse.  

The only encouraging thing about his management seems to be his recruitment.  He doesn’t know his best eleven and formation OR, he doesn’t want to, which may be even worse.  Yes he signed 14 players but when you make signings you should always have a starting line up in mind, with the additional players signed used in reserve when injured or suspended players are missing.  We are just a complete thrown together job every single game and to me it looks like that in the performances on the pitch too.  Is that good management? I certainly don’t think chopping and changing the starting line up will help the team “gel” as some are saying we should allow time for.  It’s all just a bit s*** at the moment.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

If he stuck to the same team you can bet your bottom dollar that fans would be screaming at him to change it.

Not if it was within reason. 

He went with what he thought was best yesterday, but to my eyes it just looked desperate. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

We have no identity 

No idea how we will set up from one week to the next

We worry about the opposition instead of letting them worry about us

We need a mind change from DM or he needs to go.

Yeah, but there is method in DM’s madness. If he hasn’t got a flucking clue how we’re gonna play, neither does the opposition. Genius, Pepesque stuff. 

Promotion here we come

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

We have no identity 

No idea how we will set up from one week to the next

We worry about the opposition instead of letting them worry about us

We need a mind change from DM or he needs to go.

Exactly, set up each game and let the opponents worry about us. We set up and we play like this. To coin the old phrase come and have a go if you think you hard enough. 

pick your best 11 and go with it. Tweaked here and there when needed, but it seems completely the opposite to that. Chane each game and often more than once in a game. 

keep on like this and he won’t see the decorations come down. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What he says to the press about our performances versus what he actually thinks are probably two vastly different things. 

He’s not an idiot. He knows we weren’t great yesterday, like we haven’t been great all season. 

However, it would be a foolish move and disastrous man management to criticise the players and throw them under the bus in front of the press, especially after a win.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I agree with much of the OP. I’m looking desperately for reasons to get behind Moore but the positives are pretty much nonexistent now the pre season sound bites have faded away and we’re confronted with his total lack of tactical ability.

Some on here yesterday were throwing out some right pearlers…….

”give them time to gel” - There’s nothing to gel….if you can’t see it’s not the players familiarity with each other or the way we’re trying to play that’s the issue you’re watching the wrong sport.

”we’re playing badly and winning, wait till it clicks” - You generally apply this thought process to a team that’s hit a bad run of form, not one that’s never actually played well, ever.

We’re stuck in a situation where we are tactically trying to do very little but at the same time the things we are attempting to do are beyond the skill set of our players. Yesterday Hunt proved once again that he possesses the most accurate and dangerous delivery of any wide player in our squad, why aren’t we looking to get him into those situations with more regularity?

Its still early in the piece I know that, we’re still in touch with the top of the table but it needs a change of approach. 

Moore brings a lot of positives but he desperately needs a tactical crutch and if we get one he can still be successful. Not all great managers coached their teams.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

If he stuck to the same team you can bet your bottom dollar that fans would be screaming at him to change it.

Not necessarily…if he played his best 11 and formed a settled squad with cohesion etc… there would be no need to swap and change.

For example…brown was one of our best players at Wigan, following game he doesn’t even make the squad. Corbeanu was our best player at Mansfield, doesn’t even make the pitch yesterday. 

It’s frustrating for us as fans so how do you think the players react to this. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Robdylan said:

I think that Darren’s post-match interview yesterday was very worrying.

Like many others, I’ve been patient with him. I’ve even defended him to work colleagues and friends etc who have criticised him. I thought that we still had teething problems, and that eventually his side would click/gel into place.

Well not anymore. 

His comments yesterday have told me that this side won’t click into gear to reach their true potential.

How can it?

How on earth can the team find any consistency and click into place, when he’s changing the line up, formation and tactics for every game?

We’ve had 3 different formations in less than 2 weeks. 

We see players play who then suddenly disappear from the squad. 

He said yesterday that he only had 48 hours to try and set up Saturday’s tactics. And he said it in a way where we were supposed to be impressed. 

My questions to him would be:

1. Why did you only give yourself 48 hours? 

2. Why hasn’t it been put into practice before?

3. Why on earth would you have played that formation anyway, considering that we don’t have the players to play it?

Yesterday was like going back to 2010-2011 and watching Alan Irvine’s team. 

There’s no shape to the team, the players look confused and frustrated. I’ve seen them criticising each other over the past 4/5 matches. 

This doesn’t bode well for the future. 

Nobody on here has a clue what team he’s going to play and what formation he’s going to use for the next match. 

The 3 points were obviously a great plus yesterday, but we’re still not creating enough chances and scoring enough goals. 

I understand that we have a big squad and that teams rotate players. But constantly changing the line ups and the formation to try and nullify the opposition isn’t going to help us in the long run. 

Any sympathy that I had for Moore is now truly gone. 

Again, this is not a knee jerk reaction. I understand that we’re in a tough league. But if he thinks that a back 5 is the way to go on 48 hours notice, then I don’t want him as our manager. 

He’s assembled a good squad and he deserves credit for that. He also seems genuine and a decent guy. But he simply cannot manage this team in a way that will see them playing to their full capabilities. 

For me, he can definitely go now. And yes, I’m sick of the manager merry go round at the club. We all are. But this guy isn’t going to work out for us long term.

I just don’t see the point in keeping him when he’s happy with how we’ve been playing. It’s okay trying to be optimistic,  but he’s just told all of us that he thinks that his actions are justified and that he’s going to continue to manage in the same vain. 

I thought that these bizarre tactics where he plays players out of position etc, were him finding his feet. But to hear that he’s purposely been doing this because he thinks it’s a good idea, is alarming. And I don’t think that using the word ‘alarming’ is an exaggeration.

I think that we’ve got a long and frustrating season ahead of us. 

Absolutely bang on and agree 100%. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Not necessarily…if he played his best 11 and formed a settled squad with cohesion etc… there would be no need to swap and change.

For example…brown was one of our best players at Wigan, following game he doesn’t even make the squad. Corbeanu was our best player at Mansfield, doesn’t even make the pitch yesterday. 

Exactly.

What on earth does someone like Theo think when he can’t get a game, yet he sees Dele on the right wing?

Players play well, yet just disappear for 3 games. 

How can that be good for morale?

There’s no consistency. 

• Like 3

We haven't played well so far apart from Wigan where I think we had a game plan and stuck to it. I was amazed when he changed things after that.

We have stuttered through most games with odd 10 or 15 minute spells where we consistently put the opposition under pressure. We are ponderous, lethargic our play is disjointed and we are prone to gross errors by individuals. 

It's not what we want or expected from this squad, having said that we are one point off the play off places and 5 from automatic. Maybe we are expecting too much and we are doing ok despite our reservations.

I honestly don't know what to make of it at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

So he plays his "best team" they win three on the trot then draw two and  win one then lose three on the trot.  When does he change the team?  

1 hour ago, Southie_Owl said:

I really do admire those that say Moore should get a whole season, but the signs are worrying at this stage about whether we are backing the wrong horse.  

But we're in 9th place, a point outside the play-offs, with 5 wins out of 11 games. I share many of the OPs concerns and frustrations but I see no need to push the panic button. As long as results don't turn against us we might as well be patient. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Robdylan said:

Exactly.

What on earth does someone like Theo think when he can’t get a game, yet he sees Dele on the right wing?

Players play well, yet just disappear for 3 games. 

How can that be good for morale?

There’s no consistency. 

they train all week and prepare for the games to turn up and see another playing out of position in their position….mind blowing management 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

So he plays his "best team" they win three on the trot then draw two and  win one then lose three on the trot.  When does he change the team?  

you’ve just moved the goal posts!!

making changes and managing the team is part and parcel of his job but he’s making changes game after game, which is having a detrimental affect on performances and no doubt several players. 

playing a settler side for 5/6/7 games would benefit us massively. Not sure anyone can argue any differently. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1