Bore off Darren

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Of course he would.

But anyway, despite my criticisms I want to give Moore a bit more time to see if he can get things clicking.

I just suspect we will be having the same discussions in November.

I think we all just want to see a few cohesive performances. His Donny side played decent football, so it’s bizarre how he seems to be so negative here. The problem he has is that the fans are turning, so if we have another bad run of results and continue to play terribly then patience will quickly snap. 

I thought we would be mid table this season, before we signed players I thought we might drop through this division. 

I’m not convinced by how we are playing at the moment and some of our frailties still remain… like our inability to get anything from a game when we go a goal down.

Id be disappointed if DM isn’t here at the end of the year. We need stability more than any club right now. There are no quick fixes to the damage that has been caused to our club since DC took the reigns. At least he has woken up to it.

• Like 2

Moore isn’t going anywhere, he’s being allowed to add to his backroom team as recently as last week.  Until Chansiri goes we are stuck with this for a long time to come, and Chansiri isn’t going anywhere soon either.  

We need to somehow bore our way out of this league and then hope some mad rich person fancies paying Chansiri one billion pounds for a championship club that’s now on the right side of FFP. 

Edited by Southie_Owl
  • Like 1

Plymouth, who are top currently, finished last season 8 points above the relegation places and spent the early part (from recollection) in those places

My point being that we are playing in a new environment with new teams to play and players are bound to need time to get to speed

Last season I wanted Monk to be given more time (and I still believe we would have stayed up despite the turgid football) and I'm of the same mindset with Moore

• Like 3

I don’t get the people including Moore saying the performance doesn’t matter.The problem with playing poorly, while you might get the odd win it basically relies on the opposition having a bad day, missing sitters etc. Eventually this leads to losing a lot more than you win. Where as if you are playing well though you may get the odd defeat but you will win more than you lose. So playing well with a settled team and a defined style will eventually always come out on top.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rev Owl said:

What I don't see is a plan going forward.

When we are in their half what's the plan to score?

Moore gets criticized for getting the players to play out from the back (rightly so) but it's when we get in their half that we seem lost.

The other worry is that he said in his post match interview that he sets up differently all the time to match the opposites. 

He's not experimenting to get his best side, as maybe some, including me, thought, it's deliberate.

I want him to succeed but I can't see it at this rate.

The tactic should have 3 forwards making runs, stretching the defence and playing it into the channels.

DM plays with Gregory, who can't play alone in the middle, forcing us to play on next to him. This ended up yesterday with 3 players in a 10 yard triangle in the centre circle and no space.

We've been doing this since Fleetwood and not scoring. I thought that with Pato and Kamberi getting level with Gregory on 2 goals, he'd feel safe enough to drop him and play faster. But no, we're still basing our attack on a slow poacher when it should be based on a pacy runner. 

Look at Plymouth. Fast striker. Yesterday scored from a goalkeeper throw. England too. That's where the threat comes from. We have no forward threat. We're forced to play it from the back as the long balls only reach the half way line as they're pushed up sue to no threat behind. It's better now that we have Pato and Berahino supporting him, but they shouldn't be needed.

24 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

All the comments when Pulis took over like I dont care how we win, I just want to win are being proved totally false 

Fannies

I think there is a difference. The appointment wasn't in the name of a new start or reset, but a putting out fires type employment.

Under Pulis we were on a huge downer with poor players for the relevant league, point deductions, unpaid wages and behind closed door games.

Moore has had an almost blank slate.

36 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Moore isn’t going anywhere, he’s being allowed to add to his backroom team as recently as last week.  

monk got beattie in soon sacked. pullis got gardener in soon sacked i dont think darren moore is quite in the firing range just yet but just because he has fetched staff in dont mean anything medium to longer term ,means he is safe for 2-3 weeks 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

And so the drivel continues, give a manager a few games if he's not at the top of the table he's failed.  We need to a give a manager time to build his team and to imprint his ethos across the club.

One of the main reasons we have stagnated is the constant hiring and firing of the management teams, it's just become desperation tactic.

Time to call a halt to this ridiculous way of thinking.

Pretty much this. People seem to forget that, back in the distant past (1990s and earlier) when it was absolutely normal to keep a manager for several years at a stretch, teams would have good seasons and bad seasons - the personnel running the show rarely changed on the basis of an entire campaign, never mind 10 games. That’s why you had proper personalities that everyone knew and thought of as “manager of [x]” even years later.

I bloody hate this ludicrous impatience today, it’s infantile. It’s driven purely by business interest in the PL where vast sums of cash are at stake and if you’re not one of the big six you could feasibly find yourselves doomed to the drop after a bad half-season.

Quite why it trickles down to the lower divisions I s beyond me - no disrespect meant to these teams, but in a league featuring Fleetwood and Morecambe, everyone should count their lucky stars they’re not being managed by raffle winners on weekly rotation.

Start of this season’s transfer window we were in about as bad shape as we’ve been in 15 years. Even then we were at little risk of dropping any further and looking to bounce back ASAP, despite needing to rely on freebies and loans.

Time is one of the few things we *can* afford to give right now, and we should.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We will see, but I think the tide has turned.

Talking to people outside the OT bubble, there seems to be little in the way of positive things to say about Moore and the team at present.

General consensus: nice bloke, want him to do well, but no idea what he's doing atm.

Even on here, I'd suggest quite a few posts questioning Moore and his position are not coming from the usual kneejerkers. 

When the tide does turn, it can be a very inevitable, slippery slope, almost a self fulfilling prophecy. 

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The club has had as bad an 18 months as almost any in the league.  The pandemic, players not being paid, points deduction , relegation - it has been arguably as bad as it has ever been.  There is still a fragility in the squad - we still haven’t come back to win since pre pandemic- and that will take time to get out of the system.

This will take time. 

The manager and players are getting there .

• Like 7

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

Your first paragraph explains why we shouldn’t do what you suggest in your third paragraph 

Not at all. 

All I’m saying is that while he’s not great, we should be a little more patient. If we could guarantee replacing him with a much better manager, fine. In reality we aren’t going to do that so let’s make sure we give DM the best possible chance. 

3 hours ago, doubleo said:

Ok, just for the sake of argument, say RL started here beginning of November Takes him at least till Xmas to look at the squad. January transfer window he brings a couple in. How long do we give him to get the team to gel ? Easter ? Another season gone. We’ve tried all sorts of managers in the last few years, experienced dinosaurs, unknown foreigners, been there done it types, but the one thing we haven’t done is given anybody time.

This is painful, I know, but there isn’t a quick fix to this. 

What do you consider to be a reasonable time? 

Ask Watford supporters and they'll tell you "about 6 months" 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

And so the drivel continues, give a manager a few games if he's not at the top of the table he's failed.  We need to a give a manager time to build his team and to imprint his ethos across the club.

One of the main reasons we have stagnated is the constant hiring and firing of the management teams, it's just become desperation tactic.

Time to call a halt to this ridiculous way of thinking.

Can you really think that DM is suddenly going to come up with a different plan that will ensure we get into the playoffs at least? 

Just like Maggie Thatcher..."This man isn't for turning". I think he has sort of a plan but isn't capable of making it work. He has Plans A - Z but has got one that's succeeded yet? 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, morganowl said:

monk got beattie in soon sacked. pullis got gardener in soon sacked i dont think darren moore is quite in the firing range just yet but just because he has fetched staff in dont mean anything medium to longer term ,means he is safe for 2-3 weeks 

Very true