Darren Moore - I don't care!

I wrote off last season as not his doing (not much he could change), and I was prepared to give him time this season BUT he’s already lost my backing! Absolutely no idea of what he’s trying to do (not sure he has either) and sick to death of negative,lethargic,passive,motionless,passionless,dreary, tippy-tappy ‘brand’ of ‘football ‘ ! I can’t even motivate myself to watch it on tv (I follow) any more. Whatever happened to Chansiri wanting attacking football ? We haven’t seen it since Carlos ‘ first season .

• Like 3

Playing Hutchinson in midfield was always likely to be risky given the state of his knees. Another questionable piece of management especially if Hutch is out for some time.

Like the earlier poster, I was impressed with Moore making the changes at HT  so that we did better in the second half. Until it was clear that injuries had forced his hand and it was not his tactical astuteness after all. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Couldn't agree more. There's a lot of rose-tinted specs on here.

If Owlstalk had been around in 78/79 there would have been the same people complaining about the style of football, Charlton not having a 'Plan B' and calling for his head. He probably wouldn't have been given a second full season.

I agree with the comnent and certainly Jack would have been set on by some of owlstalks drama queen's. ( but not if they had bumped in to him face to face in the pub lol )

But what Jack did have was presence, charisma and respect. I don't think DM has got that how he deals with the media is an embarrassment.

Jack knew his stuff , had been taught management by two of the best. If anybody questioned him , he could show them a cv of achievement that they could only dream of.

The difference between the two men is night and day.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SiJ said:

Why do we always get managers who are worried about the opposition?

We have to tailor our game to every single side in league one? What a load of nonsense. Yes, you identify weaknesses and potential strengths, but surely we are good enough to go to most games, play our style and win? 

Why give yourself just two days to work on a formation? 

Because it worked?

I agree it wasn’t great to watch, although no where near as bad as others have made out. (I really do query how much of Wednesday some fans have watched since Carlos left if they think that yesterday was the worst we’ve played in the past few years.)

Clearly Bolton like to play it out from the back. Moore obviously felt that the way they do that made us vulnerable and to not change our style was playing into their hands. Having thought that was the case he would have been wrong not to change things. Unfortunately hindsight doesn’t exist so we’ll never know if he was right or wrong. 

I couldn’t get my head around the line up either  at kick off but the game plan seemed clear once the game was underway. Allow their centre halves to have the ball, let them be the ones that are responsible for trying to set up attacks because we know they’re not good enough to do it. They wanted to get the ball out wide to the full backs so Saido and Gregory were tasked with blocking off that pass and Paterson was given the job of marking their No4 Williams who they were desperate to get on the ball but failed to pretty much all game. When Lee dropped deep it was the responsibility of Bannan or Hutch to follow him and stop him from receiving it. I think it worked okay for the first half an hour but not great. I’d say by the last 15 of the first half we’d really got the hang of it and started to pick them off a lot more. 

second half the injuries forced us to change and I agree that the balance wasn’t as good then. I’m pretty sure Brown must have needed to come off (he’d been down in the first half and second needing the physio) otherwise it does seem an odd substitution as Shodipo for Saido would have made more sense to me. Dunkley doesn’t like passing the ball out and does make me very nervous but didn’t drop any clangers (like Gibson in the first half and Bannan did in the second when he got pick pocketed). 

I understand the frustration of fans, it would be lovely to go to the game and see us beat teams 4 or 5 nil each game but that isn’t going to happen. Bolton will be in or around the playoffs this season, they were on good form going into the game (much better than us) yet we came away with the three points. 

I always read fans saying it doesn’t matter if we play well or not as long as the players give 100% effort. For me they did yesterday, not a great quality but they all put their bodies in the way when it counted and got stuck in when they needed to. 

• Like 2

Good interview from Moore.

He didn't say he doesn't care about performances.

He said it about yesterdays game in isolation, because we had to make changes at HT.

Whatever he says, people will gripe, we're at that stage now I'd say.

But I thought he explained things well yesterday.

• Haha 2

I think the interview yesterday was a sign that he’s feeling the pressure of an expectant fan base. This fan base has an habit of wearing a manager down one way or another and it’s harder for managers who care what people think which Moore obviously does.

I think it’s becoming clear that he probably signed too many players in the summer but that said he could lose quite a few of his Loan signings in January due to break clauses so his massive recruitment drive could still prove fruitful.

From the outside looking in to the experts on here it looks like he doesn’t have a strategy or a plan. I myself felt on seeing the team selection yesterday that there was more than an element of throwing enough sh!t at the wall and sees how much sticks to it. However I maybe doing him a disservice there? After all the plan could be to hang in there until the halfway point and hope the strength in the depth the squad has proving to be definitive in the end?

Either way despite the clamour for his head, he’s not going anywhere before Christmas and I hope he can stay the course because we need a manager to finally do this. 

15 hours ago, ANDY said:

If we win every game 1-0 playing rubbish like we did today we will go up as champions. 

And fans will still moan. 

IF......if you believe we are going to continue to win games playing this badly,DM isnt the only one deluded fans have every right to air their views,they are paying customers and want their team to entertain them with attacking football.....

its clear to everyone except DM that his tactics are not working......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, parajack said:

IF......if you believe we are going to continue to win games playing this badly,DM isnt the only one deluded fans have every right to air their views,they are paying customers and want their team to entertain them with attacking football.....

its clear to everyone except DM that his tactics are not working......

Just like it was clear to a lot on here that Monk’s tactics weren’t working apart from Monk the Magnificent and posters like yourself who would stick up for him to the bitter end and still do. 

2 hours ago, Miruic said:

I understand the frustration of fans, it would be lovely to go to the game and see us beat teams 4 or 5 nil each game but that isn’t going to happen. Bolton will be in or around the playoffs this season, they were on good form going into the game (much better than us) yet we came away with the three points. 

This is the classic line that people come up with. 

No one on here is expecting or demanding anywhere near that, I suspect. It is impossible to demand that. 

But... how about getting on the front foot, trying to attack, try to create chances, win second balls, fight harder, don't let the opposition dominate large periods of the games. Stop messing about with the ball at the back going sideways or backwards. Start flipping looking at how WE can scare the opposition. We are like scared rabbits at the moment, every team we play recently seems to find it easy to get into us and disrupt our plans. The main reason we have as many points as we do has more to do with the fact this squad on paper is a good squad. It is a top 6 squad and there are some good players. But you wouldn't think that watching us this season. The main reason for this frustration is that we are 11 games in and there is little sign we are improving, have a plan that isn't chopping and changing every week to react to the next opposition. It is freakily similar to Irvine at the moment. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

So Moore doesn’t care about performances, I suspect the ever growing gaps on the kop and stands suggests that we fans do !!, not be long til we’re down to 17000, Bolton and Oxford fans generated the only atmosphere seen at the last two games

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Just like it was clear to a lot on here that Monk’s tactics weren’t working apart from Monk the Magnificent and posters like yourself who would stick up for him to the bitter end and still do. 

Not accurate Jim,tbf there were many factors effecting both GM tenure,and player attitude/performance that only came out much much later...GM had to deal with all those plus a Covid 19 lay off,player contracts ending,some players refusing to play under contract extensions,list is endless....

You honestly think GM couldnt have continued and got us enough points to remain a Championship Club??

Because if you do,you must be in a very small minority mate even on here....DM was not the cause of our demise,but niether was he blameless and in my view more people on here now are beginning to realise it..

I think GM was a scapegoat for all that was wrong at this Club,not the cause of it...

11 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Couldn't agree more. There's a lot of rose-tinted specs on here.

If Owlstalk had been around in 78/79 there would have been the same people complaining about the style of football, Charlton not having a 'Plan B' and calling for his head. He probably wouldn't have been given a second full season.

When we got big Jack as manager, we'd had 8 seasons of complete crapness, nearly ended up in division 4 twice and the club almost went under.

Jack was a big personality at the time and it was a bit of a coup to get him. He was like a breath of fresh air and what we needed to steady the ship and then resurrect us.  After the previous years of turmoil fans gave him the time because everyone could see what was needed and what he was trying to do and he was the man who could do it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheOwlsofDodworth said:

Good interview from Moore.

He didn't say he doesn't care about performances.

He said it about yesterdays game in isolation, because we had to make changes at HT.

Whatever he says, people will gripe, we're at that stage now I'd say.

But I thought he explained things well yesterday.

The thing is though he said he only changed things at half time because of the injuries. Otherwise he would have carried on as in the first half with that 'system' he'd come up with 48 hours before the game to nullify Bolton. That first half was absolutely dreadful, there was no cohesion, Bolton were cutting through us at will and with better finishing would have been 2 or 3 up at half time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, parajack said:

Not accurate Jim,tbf there were many factors effecting both GM tenure,and player attitude/performance that only came out much much later...GM had to deal with all those plus a Covid 19 lay off,player contracts ending,some players refusing to play under contract extensions,list is endless....

You honestly think GM couldnt have continued and got us enough points to remain a Championship Club??

Because if you do,you must be in a very small minority mate even on here....DM was not the cause of our demise,but niether was he blameless and in my view more people on here now are beginning to realise it..

I think GM was a scapegoat for all that was wrong at this Club,not the cause of it...

Monk’s pointage in 2020 was horrendous. It all stemmed from him freezing out Westwood and Hutchinson ala Jos. It didn’t work for him, it didn’t work for Monk plus his record in the transfer market was utter dogsh!te but according to many on here, he wasn’t responsible for recruitment. 

Covid, players not getting paid, points deductions. Fair enough but you get his fan boys wax lyrical about his situation at Birmingham. FFS even after a points deduction he still had an head start in the race to stay up. No indication whatsoever that he could do the same here.

As bad a manager as I’ve ever seen here and the current incumbent comes no where near to being as Sh!t as Monk in my eyes no matter how much the experts on here try to compare him to Monk, Pulis, Jo’s, Irvine etc.

14 hours ago, SiJ said:

Why do we always get managers who are worried about the opposition?

We have to tailor our game to every single side in league one? What a load of nonsense. Yes, you identify weaknesses and potential strengths, but surely we are good enough to go to most games, play our style and win? 

Why give yourself just two days to work on a formation? 

He only had 2 days to work on a new formation because he spent the early part of the week working on a new formation to nullify Mansfield reserves.

:duntmatter:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I don’t mind the performance in the second half.  We weren’t spectacular we managed to score and we were fairly solid. Play like that every week for me as long as we pick up wins.

But the first half we were terrible and against a team who takes their chances, we might have been in real trouble. They have got to wake up. 

Darren Moore is like an organiser for Strictly Come Dancing. 

A different dance every week. 

Moore has a different tactic (?) and a different team every week. 

Erm, I think I'm right. 

4 hours ago, Miruic said:

Because it worked?

I agree it wasn’t great to watch, although no where near as bad as others have made out. (I really do query how much of Wednesday some fans have watched since Carlos left if they think that yesterday was the worst we’ve played in the past few years.)

Clearly Bolton like to play it out from the back. Moore obviously felt that the way they do that made us vulnerable and to not change our style was playing into their hands. Having thought that was the case he would have been wrong not to change things. Unfortunately hindsight doesn’t exist so we’ll never know if he was right or wrong. 

I couldn’t get my head around the line up either  at kick off but the game plan seemed clear once the game was underway. Allow their centre halves to have the ball, let them be the ones that are responsible for trying to set up attacks because we know they’re not good enough to do it. They wanted to get the ball out wide to the full backs so Saido and Gregory were tasked with blocking off that pass and Paterson was given the job of marking their No4 Williams who they were desperate to get on the ball but failed to pretty much all game. When Lee dropped deep it was the responsibility of Bannan or Hutch to follow him and stop him from receiving it. I think it worked okay for the first half an hour but not great. I’d say by the last 15 of the first half we’d really got the hang of it and started to pick them off a lot more. 

second half the injuries forced us to change and I agree that the balance wasn’t as good then. I’m pretty sure Brown must have needed to come off (he’d been down in the first half and second needing the physio) otherwise it does seem an odd substitution as Shodipo for Saido would have made more sense to me. Dunkley doesn’t like passing the ball out and does make me very nervous but didn’t drop any clangers (like Gibson in the first half and Bannan did in the second when he got pick pocketed). 

I always read fans saying it doesn’t matter if we play well or not as long as the players give 100% effort. For me they did yesterday, not a great quality but they all put their bodies in the way when it counted and got stuck in when they needed to. 

That's a really interesting analysis, pointing out several things I didn't see or consider at the time. It makes me think that maybe there was some logic to how we set up - I just thought he'd lost the plot. I still don't think it was right but perhaps it wasn't as brainless as I thought.

18 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Yeah but 4-4-2 without anyone out on the right, all three of the front players were put out there at times but kept coming in central.

Oh I'm not saying we played any 'system' well. We just looked slightly less bad after the break that's all.