Jump to content

Man of the Match & Ratings- Bolton (H)


Man of the match  

340 members have voted

  1. 1. Man of the match

    • Wildsmith
      44
    • Hunt
      43
    • Palmer
      23
    • Hutchinson
      1
    • Iorfa
      30
    • Gibson
      1
    • Berahino
      1
    • Bannan
      10
    • Gregory
      159
    • Paterson
      14
    • Brown
      6
    • Dunkley
      0
    • Adeniran
      8
    • Shodipo
      0


Recommended Posts

WTF was that! 

I've tried to defend DM but that's the worst I've seen us set up since the bad old days of Jos.

A back five? This would suit both Hutch and Dunk but neither were selected there.

Only two in midfield (both over 30)?  No wonder we were overrun so easily

And he didn't change it till half-time.

Then quickly used up our subs so we couldn't take Berahino off, no matter how bad he was.

Grateful for the 3 points but selections and tactics are making us look much worse than we should be.

 

Wildsmith 7 did well. Wouldn't be upset if he kept his place.

palmer 6 ok

iorfa 6 ok

Gibson 5 - shocking error with his first touch and looked a bag of nerves after that

hunt 7 - better, great cross for assist

brown 5 - as ever, great energy, hopeless on the ball. Those who say he is like Helan are doing Helan a disservice.

bannan 7 - still the heartbeat of the team. Not sure his tirades against teammates are productive.

hutch 6 - ok

paterson 7 worked hard

berahino 4 - did my head in. How can anyone spend 90 minutes on a pitch and do so little. Seemed to be avoiding getting himself into a position where he'd have to chase anyone down. Loitering without intent. Rubbish when he did get the ball too.

gregory 8 - does a really difficult job very well, great goal, great header too

 

dunkley 6 did ok

adeniran 7 - gave us fresh energy

shodipo 5 - another lost opportunity to show what he can do

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Miruic said:

You do realise we scored from a free kick that went long don’t you? 
 

We sent lots of balls long yesterday. Paterson and Gregory did a decent job of challenging for them in the air. Gregory in particular showed good strength to hold off much bigger centre halves on a couple of occasions. That said we can’t and shouldn’t do it every time. Sometimes passing it short to allow us to build an attack is the best option, on those occasions feel free to go and boil your pi$$$.

Of course I realise we scored from a long free kick, as we did at Wigan. That's exactly my point. How many goals did we score yesterday by 'building an attack'? In fact, have we created any chances this season, never mind scored any goals, as a result of building an attack that started by playing out from the back or going backwards and sideways from a throw or free kick? On the flip side, how many times have we nearly conceded as a result of doing this? In the very first minute yesterday, we had a throw on halfway that went backwards and sideways and we almost conceded a goal. Instead of starting the game on the front foot against a decent side with a noisy away following, we'd have been a goal down and unlikely to get anything from the game. Watching us trying to build an attack and getting nowhere for the next 90 minutes would have been enthralling. 

 

The next time we go backwards, sideways, fart about and concede a goal, I'll feel much happier boiling my pi$$$ knowing I have your permission to do so. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, frastheowl said:

 

Gibson - 5 - Struggled from the off. Looked uncomfortable on the ball, and weak in the challenge. Disappointing 1st showing.

 

 

 

Was far better in the cup, think nerves definitely got the better of him making his first home appearance, in the cup he was very calm, composed, self assured, comfortable. Everything he wasn't in the first few mins yesterday, he'll be first choice CB cover for Hutch very soon IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wildsmith- 7 Solid throughout and a great reaction save just after half time.

Palmer -7 Another solid performance in 2 positions.

Iorfa- 6 Some good some bad

Gibson- 6 nervy start, settled down after that. can’t really judge after 45 mins.

Hunt- 7.5 MOM Best performance since his return.

Brown- 5 Was poor created very little.

Hutchinson- 6 Prefer him at CB

Bannan- 6 Simply has nobody to pass to in front of him. 
Patterson- 4 absolutely woeful, spends most of the time on the floor looking for fouls. 
Berahino- 5 needs to get closer to Gregory, or maybe being asked to play that role.

Gregory-7 extra point for the goal, generally one of our better players.

Subs

Adeniran- 5 kept getting caught out of position, but should start for me. 

Dunkley- 5 Feel a little sorry for him as being played out of position, and is now one of the boo boys targets.

Shodipo-5 I’m hoping there is more to come from him, but looks really off the pace at the moment.

 


 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Paul.. said:

Went for Palmer personally, thought he defended really well in two different positions.

 

 

Same. Not his biggest fan but did all that was asked of him yesterday with confidence.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have only seen brief highlights but thought Gregory played well from what I saw. I like the way he doesn’t give up on stuff eg when he didn’t give up on that wide ball which he laid on for Paterson to score (was that at Wigan?). He’s also had a couple of decent headers on target but saved or grazed the woodwork, one of which was yesterday. Just wish he could get the downward angle right and find the corners, (needs some standing jump conditioning to get a bit higher and over the ball)

Of course I’m not even sure players are supposed to practice heading any more🤔

Edited by sternlad
Typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Paul.. said:

Went for Palmer personally, thought he defended really well in two different positions.

 

 

Same. 

Surprised Iorfa has got so many votes. Had he been an opposition player there would have been uproar on here about him not getting sent off in the first half. 

The full-backs were better than the centre-backs yesterday & Palmer was the best of the CB's before he moved to full-back, his close range block in the first half was vital.

Hunt was got at a few times second half but he was getting no support from anyone ahead of him defensively.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I must have watched a different game to some. I don't like the fact that our lineup and formation oftens pays to much respect to poor opposition, but after my initial tut tut, at seeing us with five defenders AND Hutchinson, I ended up remembering the fact that Bolton have been coming out with all guns blazing, scoring goals and winning games recently, which we have not and we did nullify their goal threat and started to slowly turn the game in our favour. I thought it was a very good and grown up performance which just saw us see off a very decent side and take the three points.

 

There were several candidates for MOTM for a change, but I gave it to Gregory, for his endless hard work, good play and goal. Jack was another contender and was the only player to get the ball in to Gregory in the same way that Gregory has set up other goals for people. That is two killer balls in the last two games now from the right wing and two good goals. More of that please.

 

As for the fans that say they expected more, the predictions hinted at us getting a hammering, so surely beating such a side is a very good result?

 

No matter what the armchair managers say about how quick

a new team takes to become an all conquering side, they are all wrong. One or two new players can take 8 to 10 games before fitting in perfectly so 14 new players is going to take longer, but I thought that we looked much more like a team today, as opposed to recent games against Oxford etc and everybody played their part. 

 

Get the team playing in a regular formation now, please Mr Moore, preferably using a more regular 9 or 10 players and we can hopefully get some good form and points on the board before we start exerting our claim for league 1 dominance! lol

 

UTO!

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Nut said:

Of course I realise we scored from a long free kick, as we did at Wigan. That's exactly my point. How many goals did we score yesterday by 'building an attack'? In fact, have we created any chances this season, never mind scored any goals, as a result of building an attack that started by playing out from the back or going backwards and sideways from a throw or free kick? On the flip side, how many times have we nearly conceded as a result of doing this? In the very first minute yesterday, we had a throw on halfway that went backwards and sideways and we almost conceded a goal. Instead of starting the game on the front foot against a decent side with a noisy away following, we'd have been a goal down and unlikely to get anything from the game. Watching us trying to build an attack and getting nowhere for the next 90 minutes would have been enthralling. 

 

The next time we go backwards, sideways, fart about and concede a goal, I'll feel much happier boiling my pi$$$ knowing I have your permission to do so. 

If every single ball gets lumped forward then the opposition are ready to defend against it. Do you think Paterson would have been able to get himself up against Williams for the goal if every time we had the ball we lumped it up the pitch? Of course not the big centre halves would have been touch tight with him. They expected us to go short and we caught them out by switching how we’d been attacking. 
 

lumping the ball up the pitch gives the opposition more opportunities to get the ball and therefore attack. Just because there attack starts further back doesn’t mean we don’t concede any goals as a result. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Miruic said:

If every single ball gets lumped forward then the opposition are ready to defend against it. Do you think Paterson would have been able to get himself up against Williams for the goal if every time we had the ball we lumped it up the pitch? Of course not the big centre halves would have been touch tight with him. They expected us to go short and we caught them out by switching how we’d been attacking. 
 

lumping the ball up the pitch gives the opposition more opportunities to get the ball and therefore attack. Just because there attack starts further back doesn’t mean we don’t concede any goals as a result. 

Not sure why you're going on about lumping the ball forward. My issue is with the ball going  backwards, then sideways from throw ins and free kicks, that's what boils my pi$$$. Once we've done this, the ball ends up back with the keeper who, under pressure, then ironically, lumps it forward. I can't recall this tactic ever being succesful for us, can you? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Nut said:

Not sure why you're going on about lumping the ball forward. My issue is with the ball going  backwards, then sideways from throw ins and free kicks, that's what boils my pi$$$. Once we've done this, the ball ends up back with the keeper who, under pressure, then ironically, lumps it forward. I can't recall this tactic ever being succesful for us, can you? 

Off the top of my head so these might be wrong and may have missed others but weren’t both goals against Donny and the first against Rotherham all moves that began with defenders playing it out?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/10/2021 at 05:22, Emerson Thome said:

But amongst all the negativity it should be mentioned we restricted the 2nd highest scorers in the league to 1 shot on target all match. They scored 5 away at Ipswich a few weeks ago.

 

That's certainly one way of looking at it. Another would be to acknowledge that on 4 occasions they created an opportunity of the quality we scored from but failed to get on the end of it. That suggests that it was more of a bad day at the office for their forwards and not a defensive masterclass from us. For me this is a more accurate reflection of events yesterday.

 

It many ways the game mirrored games 2, 3 and 4 where we got wins but on other days the result could have been quite different. I appreciate the margins are fine, I don't expect to dominate games, even at this level. That said we need to be preventing more opportunities than we currently are and creating more as well.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks to the 18 people who submitted ratings. Final scores are:

 

SWFC vs Bolton, 9 October 2021

 

Wildsmith: 7.0

Palmer: 6.3

Iorfa: 6.4

Gibson: 5.1

Hunt: 6.7

Brown: 5.4

Hutchinson: 5.6

Bannan: 6.4

Paterson: 6.0

Berahino: 5.2

Gregory: 7.1 - MoM

 

Shodipo: 5.2

Adeniran: 6.3

Dunkley: 5.5

Edited by Emerson Thome
Doh!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/10/2021 at 17:19, Paul.. said:

Absolutely dreadful from us again. I'll take the win but that was horrific, players are clearly not playing for the manager. It's fortunate Bolton turned up thinking it was Kieran Lee's testimonial and they didn't break much of a sweat to try to win.

 

Is it clear?? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Miruic said:

Off the top of my head so these might be wrong and may have missed others but weren’t both goals against Donny and the first against Rotherham all moves that began with defenders playing it out?

The first against Donny was from a free kick that went forward, that's just what I want to see. The second started with an interception on the halfway line followed by some great football and a cross into the box. Again, just what I want to see. On the highlights of the Rotherham game, the ball started with our centre half playing the ball forward and we scored after another cross, I cant remenber what happened before this. So all 3 goals are exactly how I feel we should be playing - getting the ball forward and wide then in the box, preferably quickly and before we are crowded out and the attack is over. Of course defenders will pass the ball out and on occasions, the best option will be to go sideways or backwards. My gripe is that with lots of throws and free kicks, the first thought is to go backwards and go from having posession in a good position, to being under pressure in a dangerous area and either losing posession or lumping it forward. I've not even started yet on the ridiculous tactic of goalkeepers playing it to the centre halves in our own box. If ever a team shouldn't be doing this it's us. I don't buy into the football snobbery that goals shoul only be scored after 30, 5 yard passes but that doesn't mean you have to smash it long all the time either. My frustration is that we should be doing so much better than we are. This league is terrible but we approach games with a negative, safety first mindset and even if we do get in front, we sit back and defend the lead. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...