Sheffield Wednesday's clever transfer link-up with Manchester United

Two United players are training with Darren Moore's first team squad this week as part of the Premier League giants’ innovative new Pro Experience Programme.

Sheffield Wednesday have welcomed two unnamed Manchester United youngsters to Middlewood Road this week as part of the Premier League giants’ innovative new Pro Experience Programme.

The purpose of the initiative is to give a number of United's Professional Development Phase (Under-17 to Under-23) players training time with English Football League clubs in short bursts.

The programme also provides the youngsters with an ideal platform to prove themselves ahead of potential loan moves in the future.

Wednesday will be hoping to see a long-term benefit from the link-up. Not only is it likely to strengthen their ties with United, but it could lead to some of the Red Devils top prospects heading to Hillsborough to speed up their football education.

United's head of academy Nick Cox said: “This programme represents an excellent development opportunity for our players. In the Academy, we are always looking to be innovative in order to provide the best experiences for all of our boys.

“The opportunity enables players to learn new behaviours and witness first-hand the standards of a first-team environment. We know that they will return to Carrington with a renewed sense of purpose that will benefit the individual and the wider training group.

“Justin Cochrane has been pivotal in establishing this initiative, it is thanks to a number of fantastic relationships that we have been able to establish a really exciting experience for the Professional Development Phase group.

Link to the article

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

Good shout this.

Actually I'm not so sure. it looks like we are supposed to develop Manchester United youngsters rather than our own ?!

Hope that we will get first option on players leaving their U-18 and U-23 squads in return.

• Like 7

Just now, malek said:

Actually I'm not so sure. it looks like we are supposed to develop Manchester United youngsters rather than our own ?!

Hope that we will get first option on players leaving their U-18 and U-23 squads in return.

Exactly my thoughts. What do we get out of it? 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Drewswfc said:

Exactly my thoughts. What do we get out of it? 

Obviously pick of young players they don't feel are good enough to stay at United.

Wouldn't be surprised to soon see us announcing signing from Manchester United for our U-23 side.

It's got to be good for us. If these lads go out on loan they will be inclined to go to clubs where they know players and training set ups. It increases our chances of getting loans of decent players.

We also get to see up and coming players who might get released by Man U, we should have a good idea which ones will make it at our level and give us an advantage in signing them.

If we were a Premiership team I'd say no, if we were in the promotion places in the Chamionship I might say no. We aren't so let's get real, we are a 3rd tier club, we need every advantage we can get.

• Like 7