Would you be happy if Mohammed Bin Salman was bankrolling our club?

its called blood money ,makes me sick what the uk will do just as long as it involves money ,there human rights are appalling ,how they treat woman , and look what happened to that jordanian in that embassy . look how many sports events etc take place there now ,yet woman aint allowed to compete ie boxing wwe etc what have been there recently . its still incredible to think who owns the stain and where some of that money emerged from too. 

the german model does not allow this every club has to have at least 51% fan ownership to stop these owners trashing clubs and doing what they want.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dollydaydream said:

I would think twice if I was the club journo and got invited to a free holiday in turkey..

seriously your right if in 12 months and there doing things to upset the geordies like maybe trying to take some home games and have them live in saudi like they do in nfl and a reporter gives this a neg report id be worrying about my safety too. the premier league is so disconnected its become a money machine and the money is in the far east and asia , the gate receipts now account for almost nothing money wise ,in single figure percentage wise ,it wont be long before games are taken abroad ,in fact that would have already happened if it wernt for near riots at arsenal and man utd supporters saying no . 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, morganowl said:

its called blood money ,makes me sick what the uk will do just as long as it involves money

So you don't wear cheaper clothes, use most electronics, use any recreational drug, watch Disney, eat anything made by Nestle, use any batteries containing zinc or cobalt, or a host of other things?

We live in a world of inequality and exploitation, for everything that makes your life easier, someone, somewhere has paid the price in blood. Every major international corporation has skeletons and abuses in it's history.

It pervades everything now.

Without going full Good Life, you can't escape it.

It's easy to condemn from afar, harder to practice what you preach.

Mike Ashley has been exposed for working conditions in Sports Direct but it is a bit strange that their fans hate him so much that Saudi money is preferable.

The Chansiri group have made their money collapsing the oceans which has links to the survival of all life. Extremely dirty money too.

“John West’s owner Thai Union has repeatedly been associated with labour rights abuses and human trafficking, yet only piecemeal attempts are being made to address this problem.

And Thai Union isn’t just the owner of John West: it’s one of the biggest seafood companies globally, with 35 subsidiaries and tuna brands in countries all over the world. Last year Greenpeace launched a campaign against Thai Union which aims to transform them from one of the worst culprits of ocean destruction into leaders in sustainability and human rights.”

2 minutes ago, Lincowl said:

Mike Ashley has been exposed for working conditions in Sports Direct but it is a bit strange that their fans hate him so much that Saudi money is preferable.

The Chansiri group have made their money collapsing the oceans which has links to the survival of all life. Extremely dirty money too.

“John West’s owner Thai Union has repeatedly been associated with labour rights abuses and human trafficking, yet only piecemeal attempts are being made to address this problem.

And Thai Union isn’t just the owner of John West: it’s one of the biggest seafood companies globally, with 35 subsidiaries and tuna brands in countries all over the world. Last year Greenpeace launched a campaign against Thai Union which aims to transform them from one of the worst culprits of ocean destruction into leaders in sustainability and human rights.”

i dont want any of these owners . if all there money went then instead of players on 200 grand a week it be 20 grand and lesser players a lot less . wont bother me or you . the german model wont allow this corrupt stinking owners to take over clubs . there supporters are no1 in there country ,shame that will never happen here. 

5 minutes ago, Lincowl said:

Because it's not about working conditions or peoples rights.

All they give a f about is spending money to improve the team

If Hitler was alive and well and interested in buying a football team, that teams fans wouldn't give a throw if they were competing to win the league, rival fans are only really giving a throw about Newcastle being bought out because of the leg up it'll give them, the human rights stuff is just a convenient crutch to beat them with.

2 minutes ago, Lincowl said:

When we were celebrating making the playoff final after Chansiri’s tuna bucks investment, John West tuna was being removed from supermarket shelves due to sustainability issues. Never saw it mentioned on here. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tesco-drops-john-west-tuna-caught-by-harmful-trawling-h6xlhn3k0

Aye cos dodgy trawling is completely comparable to sponsoring global terror 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Whilst I would have great concerns about the moral standing of any such owner, it is difficult to rationalise with all the hypocrisy that is part if football from top to bottom. 
From the kneeling for equality while attending a competition in a state that abuse the Human Rights of its citizens, all the way to the “prifessional” foul that leads to a goal and 3 points. 
Somewhere we are all complicit and it is impossible to ignore.

Consequently I would probably feel uncomfortable but happy that we had an owner who could genuinely bankroll a challenge in the Premiership 🤷‍♂️

It’s a no from me

Im already done with football in general and won’t waste my time anymore watching a televised game as a neutral either live or MOTD etc 

Saudi ownership of Wednesday would finish my love of a club that’s been part of my family for generations 

2 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

So you don't wear cheaper clothes, use most electronics, use any recreational drug, watch Disney, eat anything made by Nestle, use any batteries containing zinc or cobalt, or a host of other things?

We live in a world of inequality and exploitation, for everything that makes your life easier, someone, somewhere has paid the price in blood. Every major international corporation has skeletons and abuses in it's history.

It pervades everything now.

Without going full Good Life, you can't escape it.

It's easy to condemn from afar, harder to practice what you preach.

Reductio ad absurdum.

Of course things aren't perfect but that does not invalidate refusing to be okay when something goes too far. People can have a tipping point of "that's too much". It's perfectly okay to do that and isn't in any way ridiculous or amoral or two-faced. I try to make ethical decisions in life but understand its far from perfect, however a wouldn't want a murderous, terrorist-supporting regime with appalling human and women's rights anywhere near SWFC no matter how much money they would throw at the club.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, horny owl said:

It’s a no from me

Im already done with football in general and won’t waste my time anymore watching a televised game as a neutral either live or MOTD etc 

Saudi ownership of Wednesday would finish my love of a club that’s been part of my family for generations 

How has it finished your love? I’m interested to know

the programmes still smell the same, you can still smell the bovril upon entering the stand. You can still mix with friends & family who all still go.

If we were playing Man Utd at home this weekend with a bumper crowd expected, a fantastic team to watch & a great likeable manager in charge, would you be saying the same? 

of course you wouldn’t, because you’d be engulfed in the positive moment 

Its only because we’re yet to benefit from foreign ownership 

Edited by FreshOwl

Just now, Owl Be Back said:

Reductio ad absurdum.

Of course things aren't perfect but that does not invalidate refusing to be okay when something goes too far. People can have a tipping point of "that's too much". It's perfectly okay to do that and isn't in any way ridiculous or amoral or two-faced. I try to make ethical decisions in life but understand its far from perfect, however a wouldn't want a murderous, terrorist-supporting regime with appalling human and women's rights anywhere near SWFC no matter how much money they would throw at the club.

Bin Salman is actually pretty progressive, for his position.

The Saudi royal family is huge, with a lot of internal conflict. His rule is not as solid as it looks.

Saudi Arabia is the seat of Mecca, and a theocracy, and as such has to be seen to adhere to the stricter laws of Islam. If not, the other half of the family get power, and they'll make him seem like Caroline Lucas. They're the ones supporting terrorism.

BTW, women being allowed to drive, recent female concerts etc. All his work. Things are improving, but they're walking a tightrope.