Would you be happy if Mohammed Bin Salman was bankrolling our club?

Two things that immediately spring to mind:-

Firstly, the EPL have conveniently overlooked that the state of Saudi Arabia has probably gained influence within the club and therefore the EPL. If the Saudi royal family are regarded the same as the British royal family, the rulers are "in office" and are therefore afforded the same titles at all times, 7x24, not just when it is convenient or when they feel like it.

Secondly, the Saudi human rights record is abysmal. For example, they are one of a small, but influential, band of thirteen countries where atheism is illegal and punishable by death. Just a few years ago, the Saudi interior minister described atheists as "terrorists". Sure, I guess that you could visit Saudi Arabia and pretend not to be gay, an atheist, a christian, etc., but are these the sort of people we would want to mix with as a matter of course?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

Look at all the Newcastle fans and their celebrations following the takeover. Seems they're prepared to turn a blind eye to things as long as someone is chucking money at the club.

I'm not saying that's right but I suspect the same would happen with us.

Don't see where Ashley has done such a bad job at Newcastle, OK no trophies but they have spent  some money and been in the PL for most of the time, decent ground.

What do they expect, they have never been one of the traditional successful teams over the years.

5 hours ago, 83owl said:

I’m sure the Chansiri family and their multiple companies are all completely ethical and of high moral standard

It's all about levels isn't it. I'm sure back in the day, when local business men owned clubs, they probably had skeletons in their cupboards.

I wouldn’t be happy at all, expect there are a few Geordies who feel a bit conflicted right now.  Unfortunately the ‘success at any cost’ culture in football means many won’t care less, and the game is worse for it.  On a related matter, over 6,500 migrant workers have died in Qatar since the country was inexplicably awarded the World Cup - I think the fact that England will be participating in that tournament is a disgrace.

• Like 1

I couldnt care less if two goat herders in albania with mafia connections owned us, as long as they came in with a sound vision, employed 20 players that fitted the plan and were the best players our money could buy, employed a manager with track record of recent success, coaches that had a record for improving players, a recruitment squad that refined talent to the degree that any aquisition had a high chance of success

Another club who will unfortunately make the break away super league actually happen and complete the destruction of professional football that the premier league started...... the inflation in the price of players and wages has destroyed the game. 

There is no way the top clubs won t find a way.  They just got their fines played back ffs. 

Just another nail in the coffin.

Financial fair play! Was always cement to keep the top clubs out of sight

• Like 1

Football sold its soul a while ago and realistically for success you have to dine with the devil.

What really frustrates me is two clubs I previously had loads of respect for in Man City and Newcastle will now be or have been for a while our favourite clubs to hate.

Man City had flair players and great crowds in a proper old school stadium regardless of how well they were doing. Think average attendances of around 28k in div 3, people in the boardroom with club connections and now look at them.

I have an old school mentality where I try to follow English clubs in Europe but Man City V Chelsea champs league final this year was just utterly depressing regardless of what actually transpired on the pitch.

So in conclusion, if north Korea owned us and guaranteed back to back promotions then sign me up!!!  

• Like 1

The thing is where do you draw the line?

Qatar World Cup

Pfizer

volkswagon

Abramovic

Where ever there is big money you only have to scratch the surface and you will find an absolute cess pit of corruption and vile connections

Edited by Plonk
  • Thanks 1