Barnsley wooden stand condemned and closed .................

5 minutes ago, westy365owl said:

Who has condemned the stand as the council issue the safety certificate to the club. so unless something has happened in last month that is exceptional like the structure has been struck or something along those lines, or as part of a planned inspection it has failed then its a very strange situation 

Yep it's a strange one.

A couple of thoughts from my Dingle mates:

• Seen it coming because of the Bradford disaster.
  • Been talk for a while about a new stadium around M1 area.
  • Ground site and car park ripe for development and owners got no sentiment towards the ground.

The only thing their hanging onto is the fact that the Cryne family still have a big share and a say.

I'm actually gutted for the guys cos they've had the same seats for years and a couple saying 'feck it I've done'.

Sad really.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ray Von shabba said:

Yep it's a strange one.

• Ground site and car park ripe for development and owners got no sentiment towards the ground.

The only thing their hanging onto is the fact that the Cryne family still have a big share and a say.

I'm actually gutted for the guys cos they've had the same seats for years and a couple saying 'feck it I've done'.

Sad really.

They only need the other three stands tbf. If demand was that high they could have half the away stand too. It's in a good location would be disappointing if they ever did move out of town.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

They blame structural issues but they’re still letting journalists into that stand. Something doesn’t add up.

It depends whether having fans in the stand is part of the issue.  Ie their limited to how many can use the stand because of the structure or they are limited due to issues with the concourse and facilities. both of which shouldn't effect the ability to house journalists in there

1 hour ago, Ray Von shabba said:

Yep it's a strange one.

Sad really.

Barnsley not playing at Oakwell!!!

Be like the Beatles without Lennon and McCartney.

I went to a random game at Oakwell in the last 70s before Barnsley were promoted to the third tier. We sat in the old stand and I vividly remember the half time music was a constant medley of organ music - like some old cinema entertainment. It was the most bizarre thing I'd ever heard, although the 6-fingered locals were lapping it up.

1 hour ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

They blame structural issues but they’re still letting journalists into that stand. Something doesn’t add up.

Very true because if it's unsafe for fans, how is safe for journalists.

Mate just called again, as been to ground to sort some alternative seats in opposite East stand.

Whilst in the queue and talking to others and reports on their website, it appears the stand was given a certificate at the start of the season and it appears to be a bit of a smoke screen of cost cutting. If that's the case, they should be ashamed, as he thinks this affects around 1200 fans.

Of the 4 of them who have been ST holders for many years, 2 are transferring and sadly 2 have called it a day.

Sad days.

10 minutes ago, Ray Von shabba said:

Very true because if it's unsafe for fans, how is safe for journalists.

Mate just called again, as been to ground to sort some alternative seats in opposite East stand.

Whilst in the queue and talking to others and reports on their website, it appears the stand was given a certificate at the start of the season and it appears to be a bit of a smoke screen of cost cutting. If that's the case, they should be ashamed, as he thinks this affects around 1200 fans.

Of the 4 of them who have been ST holders for many years, 2 are transferring and sadly 2 have called it a day.

Sad days.

Like I said before it would depend on what they are claiming is unsafe and what restrictions are put in place for this if they are saying its unsafe to have a thousand fans in the stand moving about standing up sitting down and just general movement that is different to having maybe a dozen journalists in the stand 

Guest Mcguigan
4 hours ago, modboy said:

They have real problems with that stadium. Can see them ground sharing with Rotherham before long.

If they replicated the East Stand on the other side it would be a tidy 25k capacity ground.