Jump to content

Booing the referee at Hillsborough


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

Once worked with a retired ref / linesman...asked if he ever ran the line at Hillsborough.

Yep...foookers, fans thought I made a wrong offside decision early in the game...said he didn't.

Anyhow got dogs abuse ...(this was arround the cushion lobbing period)...ages ago

He said,  'i never gave the b'tards foookall for the rest of the game..

Ref was shyte and Wednesday ended up winning 2-0 anyhow'

😂

Like the linesman on the south stand side against Shrewsbury who got hassled all match for not givng a clear offside frst half, then gave us offside to deny us a winning goal when the video showed that Shodipo was clearly onside?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I honestly believe refs are egomaniacs who do the job for the power and attention.

 

I also believe they deliberately make incorrect decisions for their own personal reasons/vendettas.

 

I think in the game in general they get far too much protection and can make horrendous decisions without any consequence , because the authorities are scared they will quit. 

 

Not one of my most reasonable opinions, but there you are. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

I honestly believe refs are egomaniacs who do the job for the power and attention.

 

I also believe they deliberately make incorrect decisions for their own personal reasons/vendettas.

 

I think in the game in general they get far too much protection and can make horrendous decisions without any consequence , because the authorities are scared they will quit. 

 

Not one of my most reasonable opinions, but there you are. 

 

Look up the American Football pass interference shenanigans a couple of years ago. 

A ref missed a vital call in the semi-finals, losing the Saints the game. The next season they allowed the decisions to be challenged by the coaches to the video ref VAR style.

During the season every decision challenged was upheld, even the blatant ones.

At the end of the season the NFL released a statement saying that as the challenges had all failed (bar one, afainst the Saints), the new rule wasn't needed and they removed it.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Like the linesman on the south stand side against Shrewsbury who got hassled all match for not givng a clear offside frst half, then gave us offside to deny us a winning goal when the video showed that Shodipo was clearly onside?

Prob yes..

Always thought officials could be influenced..sometimes bad (man u at home rings a bell)

Sometimes in our favour.

Not as bad as it used to be especially with var in the prem...and tv cameras all over the pitch in the prem and championship.

In the (3rd division) different story.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I once swore at Uriah Rene in a friendly match (blatent foul) btw.

He said..

'I'm not gonna send you off, cos your team would be better without you on the pitch.'

He was smiling...hope he was kidding..

Proper ref..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Willie Henderson said:

 

I'm sure it must work, otherwise why would anyone bother?


I don’t feel like it does much at all. 
 

I found myself booing the ref vs Oxford and would’ve been happy for all 4 wheels to fall off his car when he unlocked it. 
 

Did it make him change his approach?  
No really. 

 

It also adds to my thread about Hillsborough becoming an anxious, unenjoyable place. Everyone shouting and it’s not positive. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

In the hope of getting them to give us more/better decisions, has booing the referee ever worked ? 

Not witnessed it working but guess it depends on the individual. I'm a stubborn fo0ker so if thousands were booing me I'd end up giving any 50/50 the other way! 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

Prob yes..

Always thought officials could be influenced..sometimes bad (man u at home rings a bell)

Sometimes in our favour.

Not as bad as it used to be especially with var in the prem...and tv cameras all over the pitch in the prem and championship.

In the (3rd division) different story.

 

 

Yeah apparently it's Bedlam in the third flight, according to actual referees. Which is a shame, because you see lots of great young refs at junior football level. Young lads and lasses turn out every Sunday for £20 or £30 per match and do a fantastic job. Sadly a lot of them jack it in  because of the abuse they get from young players, the watching parents and even some of the coaches! Just when you think that it cannot get any worse you realise that it could all be stopped so easily. Not by touching hands before a game, taking a knee, wearing a badge, or having a demonstration, but by taking the offenders being taken out of the game completely. 90% of the leaflet dealt out to every parent is about getting your children to show respect and for parents to do the same, yet some teams bully their way through games, bully the ref the players and the other parents and get away with it. The FA are laughed at by these neanderthals, because many are just allowed to get away with it for way too long.

 

That's one of the reasons we have such sub-standard refs in this country. Anybody seeing their own child other parents, or team coaches behaving out of line should do whatever they feel comfortable doing to try and stop it.

 

I think we have had some shocking decisions against s us this season already, but most other teams would say the same. That's football. Hopefully, when we get a bit better at it and start putting games to rest a bit more comfortably we will not be quite so bothered by their bad decisions.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Craig Butterfield said:

Liverpool used it influence the ref every week in the 70's Man UTD in the 90's. 

That's why refs were know as homers, they used to favor the home team. Liverpool got pens in the second half if they were losing. And let's not forget Fergie time

How could we? It started against us. In a game we were destined to win.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

Look up the American Football pass interference shenanigans a couple of years ago. 

A ref missed a vital call in the semi-finals, losing the Saints the game. The next season they allowed the decisions to be challenged by the coaches to the video ref VAR style.

During the season every decision challenged was upheld, even the blatant ones.

At the end of the season the NFL released a statement saying that as the challenges had all failed (bar one, afainst the Saints), the new rule wasn't needed and they removed it.

How is this relevant exactly and what the hell is American football?

 

Apart from the major advertising budgets I have no idea why anybody with a mnd of their own would ever buy into any American rubbish like bud, mc donalds etc it is all trashy rubbish. As for American football, my mate once convinced me to stay up and watch a final with him and it was the single most boring thing I have ever seen in all my life and was so bad that even he never watched it again. 

 

Thank you, I feel so lucky now for just having to watch the Oxford game for 90 minutes!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

How is this relevant exactly and what the hell is American football?

 

Apart from the major advertising budgets I have no idea why anybody with a mnd of their own would ever buy into any American rubbish like bud, mc donalds etc it is all trashy rubbish. As for American football, my mate once convinced me to stay up and watch a final with him and it was the single most boring thing I have ever seen in all my life and was so bad that even he never watched it again. 

 

Thank you, I feel so lucky now for just having to watch the Oxford game for 90 minutes!

It's relevant because it was replying to a post about officials being able to influence games due to their whims, and facing no consequence. 

It's an example showing that it's a widespread problem in other sports too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...