Jump to content

Mike Ashley


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

 

You realise he charges Newcastle a massive premium for the Sports Direct sponsorship?

 

And takes a massive portion of the profits out of the club from all merch sales into his Sports Direct Brand?


If I recall correctly most of the money made in merchandising goes to Sports Direct and not the club

Look we don't want him as Chairman why would we want a football club that is a fixture in the English top flight, has its own Stadium that it owns, is able to buy some very good quality players, produces its own youth players, does rip its fans off with inflated ticket and merchandise prices.

 

When we can have a team mid table in the third division, a team made up of free agents and loans, a club under an embargo due to the mismanagement of its chairman, a stadium that we don't own to pay for losses racked up by the chairman not for investment in the team but so a lot of players could get rich while the team went backwards, investment that lead to a points deduction that then helped in relegating, the team fans that were due refunds are still waiting 2 years later because of a broken fax machine.

 

Yeah why would anyone want Mike Ashley over DC. lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sheff74 said:

I suspect every Newcastle supporter would drive him down here, pay for the fuel and risk not being able to re fill for the return journey.

 

He has treated their fanbase with about as much contempt as it is possible to do, yet many on here would welcome him with open arms.

 

I suppose it just shows us, once again, how bad our current owner is.

Can you imaging the Newcastle fans reaction to a team under performing for a year - we have been under performing for the last 5 years and our fans are paying the highest prices in the league, to watch a team getting turned over by footballing power houses of Morecombe, Plymouth and Oxford United.

 

Or we are mixing it with Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea each week as Newcastle currently are.

 

Yeah I am sure any Geordie  would happily swap Mike Ashley for DC, they of course would have to find him first there has been more sighting in the last 12 months of Lord Luckan than DC anywhere near Hillsborough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Look we don't want him as Chairman why would we want a football club that is a fixture in the English top flight, has its own Stadium that it owns, is able to buy some very good quality players, produces its own youth players, does rip its fans off with inflated ticket and merchandise prices.

 

When we can have a team mid table in the third division, a team made up of free agents and loans, a club under an embargo due to the mismanagement of its chairman, a stadium that we don't own to pay for losses racked up by the chairman not for investment in the team but so a lot of players could get rich while the team went backwards, investment that lead to a points deduction that then helped in relegating, the team fans that were due refunds are still waiting 2 years later because of a broken fax machine.

 

Yeah why would anyone want Mike Ashley over DC. lol

 

What's any of that got to do with what I said.

 

I wouldn't contract AIDS to cure cancer fella.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OneManBand said:

Would be an upgrade on Channers.

Be careful what you wish for - not at all well liked by the fans up here. 'Out of the frying pan and err straight back into the frying pan' - springs to mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

 

What's any of that got to do with what I said.

 

I wouldn't contract AIDS to cure cancer fella.

You think a business man with any business ability would not find ways to get money into the club.

 

DC currently puts in a little over £1m  for his name on the shirt, the stadium, the stands, the advertising boards. Do you think Mike Ashley would be putting in £1m or £5m + to make sure the club can get out of the division.

 

But you are right about the first disease, as DC is killing the club slowly, in a season or two we will be on the terminal list if not already deceased. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Sheff74 said:

I suspect every Newcastle supporter would drive him down here, pay for the fuel and risk not being able to re fill for the return journey.

 

He has treated their fanbase with about as much contempt as it is possible to do, yet many on here would welcome him with open arms.

 

I suppose it just shows us, once again, how bad our current owner is.

 

I wonder how Newcastle fans would react to 21 years outside the Premier League, with 3 separate stints in League One during that time and an appearance at the High Court with an hour on the clock to be wound up by the HMRC.

 

There's a lot of context to football "suffering", but nobody could ever convince me Mike Ashley's tenure at Newcastle is anything other than a huge upgrade to what we have now in every single way. Personally I'm not looking up at Newcastle, with their consistent Premier League appearances since we dropped out - aside from two seasons when they won the Championship at a canter - and thinking "that looks awful, don't want Ashley here".

 

 

  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

Can see him going for Derby. They can be picked up for next to nothing 

Actually that’s not correct. They owe HMRC £28m. They can get £10m of that written off, then it’ll depend on what deal they can agreed with the taxman who is owed the lions share of the overall debt of £60m

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Derby would be a great option for him to buy a big club on the cheap. It's the way he's built his business empire taking struggling businesses on the brink and making them profitable. Love him or loathe him he's a smart operator as his bank balance indicates.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Look we don't want him as Chairman why would we want a football club that is a fixture in the English top flight, has its own Stadium that it owns, is able to buy some very good quality players, produces its own youth players, does rip its fans off with inflated ticket and merchandise prices.

 

When we can have a team mid table in the third division, a team made up of free agents and loans, a club under an embargo due to the mismanagement of its chairman, a stadium that we don't own to pay for losses racked up by the chairman not for investment in the team but so a lot of players could get rich while the team went backwards, investment that lead to a points deduction that then helped in relegating, the team fans that were due refunds are still waiting 2 years later because of a broken fax machine.

 

Yeah why would anyone want Mike Ashley over DC. lol

No one who has ever spoken to any Newcastle fans would EVER want Ashley i assure you!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

 

I wonder how Newcastle fans would react to 21 years outside the Premier League, with 3 separate stints in League One during that time and an appearance at the High Court with an hour on the clock to be wound up by the HMRC.

 

There's a lot of context to football "suffering", but nobody could ever convince me Mike Ashley's tenure at Newcastle is anything other than a huge upgrade to what we have now in every single way. Personally I'm not looking up at Newcastle, with their consistent Premier League appearances since we dropped out - aside from two seasons when they won the Championship at a canter - and thinking "that looks awful, don't want Ashley here".

 

 

This, this, this!  He might not be likeable, but he's kept Newcastle in the PL with their own ground. I'll take that over the last miserable 25 years here.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...