An 18 team premier league

Jamie O’hara on talkSPORT suggesting that having 18 teams in the premier league is the way forward . 

Yes, you have your Yo Yo clubs like Norwich and West Brom, but what about smaller clubs that have got promoted and have been able to give it a real go like Blackpool, Bournemouth, Brighton, Brentford possibly this year? 

On that logic, you might as well just have a premier league with only 6-8 teams, your Man Citys, man utds, chelseas etc who have the financial clout to out compete everyone else in that division. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/talksport.com/football/957380/premier-league-18-teams-jamie-ohara-norwich-embarrassment/amp/

• Like 1

You would still have same problem

Best thing would be to scrap ffp as it is creating too much of a gulf

Its a bit rubbish for Norwich fans that they are just happy to go up and get relegated every other season, even though it's extremely remote you hope your club is going to win trophies one day and rise to the highest that club can be. I don't think it's outside the realms of fantasy that a club like Norwich could aim for Europe eventually but those in charge won't give it a chance because they're more concerned about making money.

25 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

You would still have same problem

Best thing would be to scrap ffp as it is creating too much of a gulf

Its a bit rubbish for Norwich fans that they are just happy to go up and get relegated every other season, even though it's extremely remote you hope your club is going to win trophies one day and rise to the highest that club can be. I don't think it's outside the realms of fantasy that a club like Norwich could aim for Europe eventually but those in charge won't give it a chance because they're more concerned about making money.

Think Leicester are a great example to clubs like Norwich (And Wednesday).

Its more difficult now for clubs outside the 5 or 6 club elites but not impossible with a bit of forward planning and a bit of luck.

• Like 1

It'll happen

clubs can let in fans for free and still make a profit, the majority of the money doesn't come from matchday revenue. (see Bournemouth as an example - quoted as their income being 95% from sources other than revenue at the gate)

18 clubs means more time for summer tours of the far east, and the long wanted xmas break

• Like 1

Norwich are a joke club anyway. I keep hearing pundits say ‘they are incredibly well run’… For who, the shareholders or the fans? What’s the point in getting money from being in the PL and selling your best players when you aren’t going to invest in the squad? 

1 hour ago, Sefton owl said:

Norwich are a joke club anyway. I keep hearing pundits say ‘they are incredibly well run’… For who, the shareholders or the fans? What’s the point in getting money from being in the PL and selling your best players when you aren’t going to invest in the squad? 

Which we were as much of a joke...

O'Hara is thick as mince. He should stick to punching 14 year old children. 

It doesn't eliminate the problem of having nothing games. It would just lighten the schedule a bit more for the top clubs and would increase the scope to stage league matches abroad etc. 

They would go to 18 teams and then it would 16 teams and so on. 

You also have to factor in the impact lower down the pyramid. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I'm not suggesting they will be happy, but in relative terms they are in a significantly better place than we are. 

Well yeh and we are in a much better position than Chesterfield are so why is anyone complaining on Owlstalk? 

• Haha 1

Norwich are a bizarre team, their model seems to be get promoted one year, get relegated the next, bank the money and never invest in players to stop in the Premier League.

Thing is, because they never buy any premier league quality players when they go up, they neve have to sell them when they go down.

Must be weird watching your team hammer everyone one season, they get hammered by everyone the next .

5 hours ago, SiJ said:

O'Hara is thick as mince. He should stick to punching 14 year old children. 

It doesn't eliminate the problem of having nothing games. It would just lighten the schedule a bit more for the top clubs and would increase the scope to stage league matches abroad etc. 

They would go to 18 teams and then it would 16 teams and so on. 

You also have to factor in the impact lower down the pyramid. 

This........................................is Canada a continent ?........................I dont speak South American

18 team leagues is actually one of the controversial changes I think would be a good idea.

..just not for the reasons casually thrown around by Talksport presenters. 

I think we play too much football. The Bundesliga and German lower divisions are all 18 team leagues with only 1 cup competition, and I just think that's a more sensible way to run a domestic league. For us, I think you could sensibly reduce the amount of league games we play while retaining 2 cups, and giving the League Cup the overdue rethink everybody knows it needs. 

For me there are aspects of the game that do need to change, and as fans I think we need to be realistic about which battles are worth fighting. I do think there's a way of selling an 18 team top flight - maybe even bringing the EFL in line - without it being about just trashing the likes of Norwich, Fulham and West Brom and what they apparently don't bring to the Premier League. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

Jamie O’hara on talkSPORT suggesting that having 18 teams in the premier league is the way forward . 

Yes, you have your Yo Yo clubs like Norwich and West Brom, but what about smaller clubs that have got promoted and have been able to give it a real go like Blackpool, Bournemouth, Brighton, Brentford possibly this year? 

On that logic, you might as well just have a premier league with only 6-8 teams, your Man Citys, man utds, chelseas etc who have the financial clout to out compete everyone else in that division. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/talksport.com/football/957380/premier-league-18-teams-jamie-ohara-norwich-embarrassment/amp/

Cool, boot out tvvats like L**** and Liverpoo then and you have a deal 👍

9 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

Excellent idea, let them get on with it. 

As for the other clubs not invited, who gives a fizz. If they want to buy there way into the EFL we should be open to offers and conditional on complying with FFP from day one. 

Let's not fizz about with these big brands (that's what they are, not football clubs anymore). Let them achieve their ultimate aim and we can get in with reshaping the rest of the football pyramid. 

Punters don't want to watch the same teams play week in week out, they want to see competitive football. The brand's can have Asia and the gullible under 12's.watching the same fixtures on overpriced TV...the rest of football can have fans watching competitive league games  in stadiums.

• Like 1

I don’t think the fans would like it, the more teams in the league the less chance of finishing near the bottom… even in an 18 team league someone has to be last…

even in a small ESL too (I know the owners wouldn’t care if it was a closed shop) but the fans would

18 teams is still too many.

12 max.

get rid of all the dross. 
Crystal Palace, watford, Leeds, Southampton, Burnley, Norwich, Newcastle and probably Brentford should all be spat out,

wolves, Brighton, West Ham, Leicester and villa can all count themselves lucky to be tolerated.

it makes me sick that the top clubs have to mix with this 💩

• Haha 2