Referee v Mansfield

8 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

What the hell was that all about? A woman? Couldn't believe my eyes when she took to the field, thought it was the tea lady in fancy dress. Women shouldn't be anywhere near a football pitch at this level. 

As for her performance, well, my flabber was well and truly ghasted. I've watched hundreds of referees in my time and let me tell you this, she was one of the worst I've ever seen.

Not once did she try and make the game all about her. She was consistent in her decision making all game, that's a fundamental error for a start. Not once did she stop play while we had the advantage, she just let us play which helped us. Same for Mansfield, shocking. She seemed to have the respect of the players and looked to be explaining decisions to them. I'm sorry, but that's not how things are done by 'proper' refs at this level. It's almost like she was a calming influence and she was only there to ensure the game ran smoothly and players were protected. Point in fact, the challenge on our player that resulted in a yellow card for the perpetrator which showed everyone where the line had been drawn as far as physicality was concerned. How are we supposed to know which challenges get cards and which don't if the ref is going to behave like that? Arbitrary decisions are the way it goes with a proper ref. And don't get me started on her ability to keep up with play and her positioning. She was always there, in the right place, not 25 yards behind play cos her fitness didn't allow her to leave the centre circle. How can players be expected to practice the dark arts when there's a ref sticking her beak in and stopping it? It's madness I tell ya. 

To be perfectly honest if this is the way football is going then I'm not sure I want any part of it. Competent referees have no place in the EFL. Hopefully her assessors will have witnessed her display last night and marked her accordingly. She deserves everything coming her way. Except for the puerile, neanderthal chants that came from the drunken schoolboys in the Mansfield stand. Morons the lot of em. 

Well done. Very touchy subject and you managed to swerve around the dubious pc bits. 

Brilliant game for the ref. Was it a fluke or not. Hope we will get another game refereed by her and we will see. 

Excellent referee last night. Let the game flow. Couple of correct bookings.

I’m sure lots of us will ref a game in our head (or out loud) and I can barely think of a time I thought that’s a foul and it wasn’t given, or play the advantage, or they’ve gone down soft.

Excellent performance. Think it’s been a few years since I praised a refs performance on here.

As for anyone who says it was an easy game to referee, that is often down to the ability of the ref. If they are in control, in charge and have the respect of the players, then decision become easier. Players are less wound up, less argumentative and are less likely to make poor fouls (in my experience).

• Like 1

Yeah but imagine if she went to referee a match but then found out that she was nine months pregnant.

Loads more women are nine months pregnant right now than men, so it could totally happen.

Or if she wanted to stop the match for half an hour so she could go and pump breastmilk in the changing rooms.  It's always women who do that, too.  They might have to reschedule the match!

These just aren't risks we can take.

8 hours ago, bladeshater said:

It was an easy game to  ref i was there

I've same plenty of refs make easy games look very difficult. 

None of our games have been particularly difficult to officiate this season but some of the decisions made have been awful.